Anyone remember Bailo's?

https://buffalonews.com/2018/06/12/torn-down-tuesday-bailos-famed-for-beef-on-weck-and-an-urban-legend/

My family ate there many times. Those sandwiches were enormous (to a little kid) and I loved the crinkle fires drowning in gravy. (Basically poutine minus cheese.) The one memory that sticks with me was how my nose would sting anytime someone opened a jar of horseradish that was on every table. Either getting old make you impervious to horseradish fumes or that stuff was the strongest ever made and hasn't been made since.

This story mentions the infamous story that Bailo's sometimes served horse meat. I certainly heard them. (But I figured if horse tasted that good, I'll have seconds.)

Horseradish does not seem as hot as once remembered, but that probably has to do with preparation as much as anything, as well as the preponderance of personal injury attorneys. Growing up, horseradish in my house was not so much a garnish as a sign of 'machismo'.  "You think you're tough with that dollop on your beef on weck?!  Watch THIS!!"

Many years ago I remember reading an article in the Old Farmer's Almanac regarding how long after grating the root's scrapings are placed in the brine determines strength.  A coworker who dabbled in home made when younger also maintained wet seasons prior to root harvest resulted in weaker mixtures.  Up here in Ontario, there were a couple of varieties from the Tilsonburg area.  Kytes is a name I recall, but listings there now indicate the Peterborough area for a location. Dennis' Horseradish is near Delhi, founded 1969.

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Horseradish does not seem as hot as once remembered, but that probably has to do with preparation as much as anything, as well as the preponderance of personal injury attorneys. Growing up, horseradish in my house was not so much a garnish as a sign of 'machismo'.  "You think you're tough with that dollop on your beef on weck?!  Watch THIS!!"

Many years ago I remember reading an article in the Old Farmer's Almanac regarding how long after grating the root's scrapings are placed in the brine determines strength.  A coworker who dabbled in home made when younger also maintained wet seasons prior to root harvest resulted in weaker mixtures.  Up here in Ontario, there were a couple of varieties from the Tilsonburg area.  Kytes is a name I recall, but listings there now indicate the Peterborough area for a location. Dennis' Horseradish is near Delhi, founded 1969.

Go to TOPS, and buy Millers Horseradish.  It's not on a shelf, but in a case near the eggs etc.  Any TOPS employee can point it out.  For some reason, Wegmans does not carry it?   

They can’t serve punishing sauces openly to people due to lawsuits when idiots get hurt.

At a wedding reception and dinner a few years ago a horeradish was labelled very hot and people at my table lathered it on and then sat there burning and complaining.

17 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

My mother used to take a jar w some vinegar and another ingredient, maybe milk to the Broadway market. There was a guy who would grind the root while you waited. Because you brought what you wanted to “cut” the horseradish it was as hot as you and the root allowed. I still remember feeling like it was going to blow the top off of your head. I can’t find horseradish hot enough today no matter where I look.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Didn't the original burn down?

Oops, just read link...

I have ten more free articles.  I am in incognito mode, if I clear my cookies, can I avoid the dreaded paywall... LoL...

They have a paywall?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

My mother used to take a jar w some vinegar and another ingredient, maybe milk to the Broadway market. There was a guy who would grind the root while you waited. Because you brought what you wanted to “cut” the horseradish it was as hot as you and the root allowed. I still remember feeling like it was going to blow the top off of your head. I can’t find horseradish hot enough today no matter where I look.

They have a paywall?

At Dubel's deli we used to slice people's cooked roasts for free.  Those days are probably gone... Probably health and saftey, insurance reasons now.  It's a limbo culture out there... ?

Yes.  They gave me 10 free to read OP's link.  9 now... LoL.  Hope it's like the Milwaukee Journel-Sent where you can just clear your cookies.

27 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I used to go to Bailo's as a kid. Yes, the beef on weck seemed enormous!

There was a big sign on the side of the place facing north on Bailey Ave.

Somebody painted "horse meat" on it!

I remember them, and remember them being shut down for "tainted meat."  Horse meat is big in N Italy, around Bologna   Genuine  bolognaise sauce contains horse meat.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I remember them, and remember them being shut down for "tainted meat."  Horse meat is big in N Italy, around Bologna   Genuine  bolognaise sauce contains horse meat.

Some mid 70's hippie climbed a ladder and painted a R over the U . 

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

At Dubel's deli we used to slice people's cooked roasts for free.  Those days are probably gone... Probably health and saftey, insurance reasons now.  It's a limbo culture out there... ?

Yes.  They gave me 10 free to read OP's link.  9 now... LoL.  Hope it's like the Milwaukee Journel-Sent where you can just clear your cookies.

You served my mother and grandmother.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

My mother used to take a jar w some vinegar and another ingredient, maybe milk to the Broadway market. There was a guy who would grind the root while you waited. Because you brought what you wanted to “cut” the horseradish it was as hot as you and the root allowed. 

Ducks blood for Czarnina is no longer available either,those days are long gone...these days they sell beet juice as the "gravy".I recall when my mom would buy a certain amount of meats and the butcher would give her free eggs and butter.70's.

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

With no excuse for being hungry! 

But you could smell the place all the way over to Broadway and Bailey..and to the south at William and Bailey. The smell of deep fried onions and potatoes along with oven roasted meat 12 hours a day could and should get old?