Juneteenth

For those of us who believe that freedom is the ultimate condition for humanity to thrive, Juneteenth is a truly great day in world history.

Celebrate human freedom today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

Juneteenth, also known as Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day, is an American holiday that commemorates the June 19, 1865, announcement of the abolition of slavery in the U.S. state of Texas, and more generally the emancipation of enslaved African-Americans throughout the former Confederacy of the southern United States. Its name is a portmanteau of "June" and "nineteenth", the date of its celebration.[1][2] Juneteenth is recognized as a state holiday or special day of observance in forty-five states.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

For those of us who believe that freedom is the ultimate condition for humanity to thrive, Juneteenth is a truly great day in world history.

Celebrate human freedom today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

Does that include the freedom of captured slaves held by the Union as contraband?  

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Does that include the freedom of captured slaves held by the Union as contraband?  

I don't believe it does.  Freedom is slow rolling, and even today, as evidenced in the Separating Families thread, is still a work in progress.  Juneteenth is a worthy benchmark of progress on that front, however, and I believe celebrating the victories on the road to ending enslavement is worthwhile, and helps us to remember why it is so important to free those still held in captivity.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I don't believe it does.  Freedom is slow rolling, and even today, as evidenced in the Separating Families thread, is still a work in progress.  Juneteenth is a worthy benchmark of progress on that front, however, and I believe celebrating the victories on the road to ending enslavement is worthwhile, and helps us to remember why it is so important to free those still held in captivity.

I remember back in the 80's that Juneteenth was celebrated at the North Carolina beaches in much the same fashion as spring break is at the Texas coast. I was unaware however that the holiday has it's roots here in Texas - thanks for posting that.

:beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

Why Juneteenth is Worth Celebrating by Kemberlee Kaye

Celebrating-Juneteenth-Origins-Slaves-Fr

Juneteenth is a testimony of how an imperfect nation bore the pain of death and division so that the right of liberty might expand its reach.

I first blogged about Juneteenth in 2015. As I noted then, the day’s significance is almost criminally underappreciated.

Over the last few years, the 19th of June and its significance, are slowly gaining national popularity, reverence, and acknowledgment.

(more…)

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/marcus/110211

Obamacare furthers black genocide

By Lloyd Marcus
February 11, 2011

Well, here is a dirty little secret. Black women abort their children at 3 times the rate of white women. Over 50% of black pregnancies end in abortion. Thus, according to the numbers, abortion in America is racist. This black genocide is so severe, black babies could be classified as an endangered species due to abortion.

Case in point. Planned Parenthood was founded by Margaret Sanger, a white hardcore racist who believed black births were destructive to society. Thus, Planned Parenthood Abortion Centers are disproportionately located in black neighborhoods. Referring to blacks, Sanger proclaimed, "There is no doubt that procreation of this group should be stopped." In 1939 Sanger launched the "Negro Project" to kill blacks before they were born.

:ph34r: