Awful Historic Thunderstorm North of us

Ice bowl 67

About 5 hours North of us they got slammed with Historic rainfall of almost 7 inches. Here is the photos of the devastation. This is an area up there in the U.P. of Michigan that sometimes gets over 300 inches of snow for the season. Now they get all this rain! Check out the photos! http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/06/photos_show_michigans_up_devas.html

34 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

About 5 hours North of us they got slammed with Historic rainfall of almost 7 inches. Here is the photos of the devastation. This is an area up there in the U.P. of Michigan that sometimes gets over 300 inches of snow for the season. Now they get all this rain! Check out the photos! http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/06/photos_show_michigans_up_devas.html

5-6 inches of rain I have seen where I live and it will create minor flooding as we sit up in elevation relative to any rivers.  Hurricane Agnes back in 1972 created devastating flooding in New York's Southern Tier.  I remember our family visiting a relative in Elmira, NY shortly thereafter and many downtown buildings had flooding to the top of their first floors as evidenced by the mud left.  Wellsville, NY had extensive flooding and pushed the Mount Morris dam to its limit.  A lot of permanent damage and misery remained in southern Allegany County afterward.

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

How is rain historic? So, it rained a lot, in a short period of time. It flooded, I presume because I didn't read the link. Has that never happened before?

NWS keeps records of amount and duration, so rainfall can literally be historic.

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

NWS keeps records of amount and duration, so rainfall can literally be historic.

I get that dude. But with like five different threads about the weather.....

Did I mention that today was the hottest/coldest/rainiest/cloudiest  (without rain)/lighteningest day in history, somewhere? 

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I get that dude. But with like five different threads about the weather.....

Did I mention that today was the hottest day in history, somewhere? 

There's only 4. 

You would be bad at keeping historic records.

Edited by LeGOATski

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

There's only 4. 

You would be bad at keeping historic records.

I'm pretty sure you first posted "only 3" but I am certain there was at least 5. Mendella in effect before our very eyes!