Whitey taking over the music

2 hours ago, GG said:

WTF? 

Then the critics have to disavow Mexican music that was planted by German & Scandinavian immigrants.

"A REAL Mexican speaks Spanish (the language of our European conquerors)!"

Edited by OJ Tom

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Um...Selena was American - born in Texas.

Yes, and she was a very kind-hearted person. I have a very difficult time believing that she would approve of anyone using race as a reason to prevent anyone from performing her music. The idea is laughable. She was just beginning to break into mainstream pop - she wanted to reach everyone, not just Latinos & Tejanos.

Edited by Azalin

1 minute ago, Azalin said:

She was a very kind-hearted person, and I have a very difficult time believing that she would approve of anyone using race as a reason to prevent anyone from performing her music. The idea is laughable. She was just beginning to break into mainstream pop - she wanted to reach everyone, not just Latinos & Tejanos.

Well...then I guess the people complaining now will agree that it was a good thing she died before she could culturally appropriate the Grammys.

(Note for the stupid: this is a rhetorical argument illustrating the insanity and hypocrisy of the "cultural appropriation" crowd.  It is not a statement to the effect that Selena deserved to die.  Thank you for misunderstanding both the original statement, and this doubtlessly futile explanation.)

Edited by DC Tom

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Well...then I guess the people complaining now will agree that it was a good thing she died before she could culturally appropriate the Grammys.

:lol:

That is delightfully evil.

8 minutes ago, Azalin said:

:lol:

That is delightfully evil.

Of course it is.  !@#$ing stupid emotional dingbats never think through the ridiculousness of their opinions.  They deserve to be offended with observations like that.

Then when they get all whiny about "How can you be so cruel?  She was shot, you racist!" I'll ask them why she was culturally appropriating American gun violence...

• Haha (+1) 1

Did Melissa Etheridge do cultural appropriations on her latest album?

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/news/melissa-etheridge-delivers-soul-deep-stax-tribute-on-new-album-memphis-rock-and-soul/

I saw her when she  caMe to town with this tour. Really good.  Trying to remember but I think almost all of the musicians were not black.

Then I saw Paul Simon. He did a cool version of 50 Ways with the chorus being funky. It was cool.  The reviewer in the paper referred to it as "white boy funk". He had a black bass player and a guitar player from Kenya.  There has to be some appropriating there somewhere.

But really, Whitey been coming after the music since at least the very early 1900s.

16 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Did Melissa Etheridge do cultural appropriations on her latest album?

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/news/melissa-etheridge-delivers-soul-deep-stax-tribute-on-new-album-memphis-rock-and-soul/

I saw her when she  caMe to town with this tour. Really good.  Trying to remember but I think almost all of the musicians were not black.

Then I saw Paul Simon. He did a cool version of 50 Ways with the chorus being funky. It was cool.  The reviewer in the paper referred to it as "white boy funk". He had a black bass player and a guitar player from Kenya.  There has to be some appropriating there somewhere.

But really, Whitey been coming after the music since at least the very early 1900s.

Paul Simon appropriated an entire album from South Africa...

46 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Paul Simon appropriated an entire album from South Africa...

he did, and he played songs from it too.

music is the universal language. It belongs to no one particular group or other. It's often how it changes and and progresses. Taking parts from different places and putting it together. 

Only Hispanics being able to play Tejano or only blacks can do rap or blues or only whites can do C&W would be a HUGE step backwards IMHO. But it often seems that's where we're headed.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Only Hispanics being able to play Tejano or only blacks can do rap or blues or only whites can do C&W would be a HUGE step backwards IMHO. But it often seems that's where we're headed.

If you are applying that standard, then music will stop.  Try playing blues without the culturally appropriated guitar from Europe.

• Like (+1) 2