[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Dahlin struggled but was good in the 3rd.  I agree with the takes on Hutton who looks like the real deal to me.  

I'm sure there will be a rough patch at some point but you can just see the foundation being built.  Is it just me or does Eichel just exude the look of a leader more than he has before?  

I agree with your comments about Middlestadt.  Hands of gold.

The Sabres are so damn young.  We have to have the all time acne record in the NHL.

I thought Dahlin struggled on the defensive end. But that is not to be unexpected. What is impressive about him is his supreme confidence which is exhibited in how he handles adversity. He just keeps playing through his struggles as if they didn't happen. 

I was listening to the post game show on WGR and was intrigued with how Housley believes in the potential of Tage Thompson. He's sticking with him. Tage has a wicked shot and can skate. He struggles with the physical side of the game but he is putting in the effort. 

What makes me optimistic about this team is the steady improvement in the young players as exhibited by Dahlin, Mittlestadt and to an extent Tage. What is so exciting about this team is the potential of the young players. On top of that there are some good prospects not far away in Rochester. 

The fans certainly deserve to be rewarded with not only good play but also entertaining play. 

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I thought Dahlin struggled on the defensive end. But that is not to be unexpected. What is impressive about him is his supreme confidence which is exhibited in how he handles adversity. He just keeps playing through his struggles as if they didn't happen. 

I was listening to the post game show on WGR and was intrigued with how Housley believes in the potential of Tage Thompson. He's sticking with him. Tage has a wicked shot and can skate. He struggles with the physical side of the game but he is putting in the effort. 

What makes me optimistic about this team is the steady improvement in the young players as exhibited by Dahlin, Mittlestadt and to an extent Tage. What is so exciting about this team is the potential of the young players. On top of that there are some good prospects not far away in Rochester. 

The fans certainly deserve to be rewarded with not only good play but also entertaining play. 

With Thompson I can see the shot and the movement is decent from a lateral standpoint.  I think the physical stuff can develop.  I just don't see the speed.

The repercussion of the Ryan O'Reilly deal has reverberated throughout the roster. When he got traded in return we got Tage Thompson, Soboka and Bergland.  Tage has offensive talent but still is in the development stage. The other two veteran players are responsible players who are at best role players. In the exchange we also got a first round pick. What this deal did is dispatch a player (who I liked) who didn't want to be here any longer. With his departure Mittlestadt was bumped up and has centered a line. You can see his talent coming into fruition. Also, because the former captain was dealt it elevated Jack to the captain's role. He wanted that role and he certainly has embraced it. Without question he is the leader of the team. 

When you watch this team play you can see that the roster has a good mixture of veteran, young players, role players and mainstay players. You can also see that the players not only like one another but also stand-up for one another. The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes a judicious subtraction can  becomes a big addition 

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

With Thompson I can see the shot and the movement is decent from a lateral standpoint.  I think the physical stuff can develop. I just don't see the speed.

I respectfully disagree with you that he lacks speed. Because of his length he is not going to be a quick skater. But he is a smooth long striding skater who has deceptive speed. Jack is a powerful skater with a burst and speed. Tage's style of skating is much different. When in open ice with his elongated strides his speed becomes more evident. He'll never be as fast as Jack and have that burst but he can keep up with the pace of the game.  As you noted he still lacks in his physical play but that will come as he physically fills out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Risto.  Just love the edge he plays with.

If this team ever gets a clue on the PP, they're going to be really tough to deal with. 

I had the same exact thought tonight. I don’t know how long this scoring will last in the league, but with an even decent PP it feels like they could average 4 goals a game. 

27 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This team is nuts. Housley is pulling the right strings. Larsson has really become valuable. Dahlin obviously had his roughest game but still does a bunch of great *****. Pairing Tage with Reinhart is a good move. Hutton is insane, even giving up four. That sure was fun. 

I know a lot of people complain about housley, and I don’t know if he’s the right coach to win us a Stanley Cup. 

But he is the right coach coach for this team right now.

He is the first coach that has actually been able to get the entire team to buy-in to a system and play as a 5 man unit (instead of kind of making it up as they go). 

He is letting them play a fast, exciting brand of hockey. He’s letting the young guys make mistakes without stapling them to the bench afterwards (something a lot of coaches don’t do). Really, He’s the first coach to make some real progress with the way the Sabres play. They actually look/play like a legit NHL team again. 

I dont know if he will be the coach that gets buffalo to true contender status. But he is making real, true progress with this roster right now, and that’s what Buffalo desperately needed. And, IMO, you are seeing some players developing their games, too which bodes well for the future. It may take hiring another coach a few years down the line to put them over the top. But for now, I think Housley is earning his keep. I can’t wait to see how this team develops over the course of this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

C'mon, people. What are you waiting for? Pack that barn.

My son and I will be there and cheering ourselves hoarse. Chad and Muffy better stop looking at their phones and get involved with this team on a personal level. A raucous welcome home is the least we can do.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This team is nuts. Housley is pulling the right strings. Larsson has really become valuable. Dahlin obviously had his roughest game but still does a bunch of great *****. Pairing Tage with Reinhart is a good move. Hutton is insane, even giving up four. That sure was fun. 

As you pointed out it seems that every thing that he tries works out from the goalie moves to the changing line combinations. 

Since he started coaching this team he has preached having his defensemen move up with the play and be aggressive in the other team's zone. As it stands every defenseman has scored a goal. That's quite a change from last year's non offensive unit. 

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The repercussion of the Ryan O'Reilly deal has reverberated throughout the roster. When he got traded in return we got Tage Thompson, Soboka and Bergland.  Tage has offensive talent but still is in the development stage. The other two veteran players are responsible players who are at best role players. In the exchange we also got a first round pick. What this deal did is dispatch a player (who I liked) who didn't want to be here any longer. With his departure Mittlestadt was bumped up and has centered a line. You can see his talent coming into fruition. Also, because the former captain was dealt it elevated Jack to the captain's role. He wanted that role and he certainly has embraced it. Without question he is the leader of the team. 

When you watch this team play you can see that the roster has a good mixture of veteran, young players, role players and mainstay players. You can also see that the players not only like one another but also stand-up for one another. The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes a judicious subtraction can  becomes a big addition 

I respectfully disagree with you that he lacks speed. Because of his length he is not going to be a quick skater. But he is a smooth long striding skater who has deceptive speed. Jack is a powerful skater with a burst and speed. Tage's style of skating is much different. When in open ice with his elongated strides his speed becomes more evident. He'll never be as fast as Jack and have that burst but he can keep up with the pace of the game.  As you noted he still lacks in his physical play but that will come as he physically fills out. 

If the Blues end up in the lottery do we still get the pick?

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (13-6-2) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 22 vs. PHI at 7:30 PM ET on 11/21
8 hours ago, JohnC said:

The repercussion of the Ryan O'Reilly deal has reverberated throughout the roster.

you mean like teams get better when he leaves? Teams where  he goes get worse? Coaches get fired when he is there?

I am being a little facetious..but damn sure appears that way no?

11-20: Phil Housley with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (13:09)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR for his weekly Tuesday segment! Tune in:

Housley - I think we've just stayed calm and kept our composure in the last three games. We had that next shift mentality and stayed the course. We bend, but we don't break. The players dug down and found a way to win, we have the belief that we're never out of it. #Sabres

Housley - I believe that our conditioning is a lot better from last season. We came really well prepared to training camp, and you can see the reward for that. There's a reason why we're going hard, and the results are showing. #Sabres

Housley - Casey Nelson's goal at the end of the second period really provided us a boost last night. When you're only down by a goal heading into the third, you're never out of it. Our third periods have been good, we're just concerned about our starts. #Sabres

Housley on Rasmus Dahlin - I just see the true competitor he is when he makes a mistake on the ice. He's a mentally tough kid. He had that terrific rush in the third period, and just showed how tough he is. (1/2) #Sabres

Housley - He's finding out it's going to be tough and you can't be your best every night, but you can see how he responded in the third period. (2/2) #Sabres

Housley - Hutton and Ullmark are providing us some solid goaltending. I think we're relying on them a bit too much. We want to be better in front of them, but they have made some big saves for us. #Sabres

Housley - I really like the development of our young guys, but Mittelstadt has done a tremendous job. He's getting some more looks and is getting rewarded. Great to see him get that tying goal last night after the work he has put in. #Sabres

Housley - we have to understand that we are going to make mistakes with our young guys, and we have to be patient with them. We're going to hold them accountable, but we have to develop them moving forward. #Sabres

Housley - We have to get focused again and get the players prepared for Philadelphia. We owe it to our fans that we put our best foot forward, and we're looking forward to play in front of the home fans. #Sabres

• Like (+1) 1