[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I just hope that Incognito also becomes receptive to professional help for his well being. Lehner's problems were deep and complicated. It was not an easy journey to confront his problems, and it will be a life long issue for him. I wish him the best. Botteril keeping tabs on  Lehner after he was no longer with the team demonstrates how good a person he is. 

Agree on Incognito. 

Also liked hearing about Botterill. It definitely shows the type of person he is. 

I feel for Lehner and hope these changes are permanent. 

One thing ing that I keep thinking about though - When Lehner gave that timeline, saying the heavy drinking + drug use and mental health issues all go back at least 7 years.... how did Tim Murray not know this before trading for him? He was there with him in Ottawa and Binghamton. 

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

One thing ing that I keep thinking about though - When Lehner gave that timeline, saying the heavy drinking + drug use and mental health issues all go back at least 7 years.... how did Tim Murray not know this before trading for him? He was there with him in Ottawa and Binghamton. 

Especially the part where he talks about an interview where the GM is grilling him about his reputation as a bad teammate.   I'm sure that had to be a big part of Murray's exit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No! Not San Jose! lol 

I know their 1st next year isn’t going to be all that high. But I was at least hoping for a 1st round playoff exit so we could get a pick in that 16-20ish range. 

At at first glance, the return doesn’t seem all that amazing. But I am unsure of who some of those prospects even are. 

a 2019 or 2020 1st round pick? 

So I wonder how they decide if Buffalo,or Ottawa get the 2019 1st? 

Edit - condition are, if Sn Jose misses the playoffs in 2019 Ottawa gets their (2019) 1st. If SJ makes the playoffs, Buffalo gets their 2019 1st and Ottawa gets their 2020 1st. 

Edited by BillsFan4

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

No! Not San Jose! lol 

I know their 1st next year isn’t going to be all that high. But I was at least hoping for a 1st round playoff exit so we could get a pick in that 16-20ish range. 

At at first glance, the return doesn’t seem all that amazing. But I am unsure of who some of those prospects even are. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

No! Not San Jose! lol 

Edit - condition are, if Sn Jose misses the playoffs in 2019 Ottawa gets their (2019) 1st. If SJ makes the playoffs, Buffalo gets their 2019 1st and Ottawa gets their 2020 1st. 

Why wouldn’t Buffalo have to agree to that? Buffalo’s compensation for Kane was clear if he re-signed with them: their 2019 first round pick and a conditional 2019 4th, which could be 3rd rounder in 2020. What am I missing here?

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Why wouldn’t Buffalo have to agree to that? Buffalo’s compensation for Kane was clear if he re-signed with them: their 2019 first round pick and a conditional 2019 4th, which could be 3rd rounder in 2020. What am I missing here?

According to this NHL.com link the Sens are getting Jose's second round pick in 2019 and a first in 2020. So you were right about us keeping the Shark's first round pick in the next draft.

https://www.nhl.com/video/sharks-acquire-karlsson-from-sens/t-277350912/c-61013403

Just now, JohnC said:

According to this NHL.com link the Sens are getting Jose's second round pick in 2019 and a first in 2020. So you were right about us keeping the Shark's first round pick in the next draft.

https://www.nhl.com/video/sharks-acquire-karlsson-from-sens/t-277350912/c-61013403

I think I’m forgetting that SJ’s 2019 1st is lottery protected; if they miss the playoffs we would get their 2020 1st instead. So I’m guessing that their deal with Ottawa is NOT lottery protected and, if by some weird chance SJ doesn’t make the playoffs this year, then Ottawa gets that pick in 2019 and we would get their 1st in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think I’m forgetting that SJ’s 2019 1st is lottery protected; if they miss the playoffs we would get their 2020 1st instead. So I’m guessing that their deal with Ottawa is NOT lottery protected and, if by some weird chance SJ doesn’t make the playoffs this year, then Ottawa gets that pick in 2019 and we would get their 1st in 2020. 

If San Jose doesn't make the playoffs then something is amiss. Either way the Sabres are accumulating chips and the pipeline is filling. I like the way Botterill is positioning this team for the short run and the longer haul. While the Bills have cashed out for the short haul to benefit the long haul Botterill seems to have smartly worked in the present while also building something for the future. As a GM he was thinking both tactically and strategically. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Correct.

SJ doesn't have their 1st in each of the next 2 drafts regardless of whether they make the playoffs this season.

If they make the playoffs this season, Buffalo gets the '19 1st & the Otters get the '20 1st.

If SJ misses the playoffs this season, that flips & the Otters get the '19 1st & Buffalo gets the '20 1st.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

@Dante you planning the parade now ???

Who are those guys Dante...your take appreciated!

Tieranny is a good 3rd line center. DeMelo is a  young Dman who was coming along. He had a good year last season getting more and more competent. Solid 3rd line Dman who won't hurt you. The one prospect Norris is supposed to be pretty good. The draft picks kinda suck but I will take a deep playoff run any time. Should be an interesting year especially with a healthy Kane.

Edited by Dante

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Correct.

SJ doesn't have their 1st in each of the next 2 drafts regardless of whether they make the playoffs this season.

If they make the playoffs this season, Buffalo gets the '19 1st & the Otters get the '20 1st.

If SJ misses the playoffs this season, that flips & the Otters get the '19 1st & Buffalo gets the '20 1st.

NFW the SJS miss the playoffs.  Cup contenders for sure.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

If San Jose doesn't make the playoffs then something is amiss. Either way the Sabres are accumulating chips and the pipeline is filling. I like the way Botterill is positioning this team for the short run and the longer haul. While the Bills have cashed out for the short haul to benefit the long haul Botterill seems to have smartly worked in the present while also building something for the future. As a GM he was thinking both tactically and strategically. 

But are the timelines really congruent?  The true comparison should be Sabres ‘17-‘18 season to Bills current season.

6 hours ago, bbb said:

Binghamton must be psyched!

Avs fans should be even moreso as Colorado owns Ottawa's 1st this season as part of the Duschene trade.  How Sakic got that pick to be non-lottery protected is certainly a head scratcher.  Very good chance that'll turn into a top 6 pick even if the lottery balls don't break their way.  The only way they aren't the favorites in the Hughes derby is if Corey Price breaks early in the season.

9 hours ago, GG said:

But are the timelines really congruent?  The true comparison should be Sabres ‘17-‘18 season to Bills current season.

Boterill's first year was an assessment year. Once he had a grasp of what he had in his organization he acted decisively. 

I'm not intending to being overly critical of McDermott and the Bills. I do believe that they have a plan to rebuild, and that's exactly what they are doing. Going through a rebuild can be an excruciating process. Predictably, when you rapidly thin the ranks to restructure the cap you are going to face insurmountable challenges against better stocked teams while your shelf is nearly empty. Our OL reflects that changing of players. 

In hockey it is easier to get back more immediate redeemable assets than in football. That was clearly evident with the deals Botterill made this offseason. While with the Bills the strategy of reworking the roster leaned toward dispatching players and gaining cap relief for the following season.