[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

https://theathletic.com/509877/2018/09/06/hes-a-different-player-sabres-rookie-rasmus-dahlin-continues-to-make-a-strong-impression/    (Sub required)

It was shortly after 10 p.m. on April 28 when Rasmus Dahlin cemented a spot on the Sabres’ roster. Buffalo had just won the NHL Draft Lottery, and the future No. 1 pick was written into the lineup with the biggest Sharpie imaginable.

Dahlin, who’s handled the hype with humility, doesn’t see it that way. He’s playing in the Sabres’ Prospect Challenge this weekend – the first time he’ll wear a Buffalo jersey in a game – and he’s walking around as if he’s an undrafted free agent.

“I have to play good to make the team,” Dahlin said Thursday in HarborCenter. “I’m going to try as hard as I can, and we’ll see how it goes. I’m going to do my best. That’s all I can say.”

It’s not what Dahlin says that has Buffalo bubbling with hope. It’s how the defenseman plays and prepares. The 18-year-old has made an impression nearly every time he’s been on the ice, starting with development camp in June. It continued Thursday while he was surrounded by 26 other roster hopefuls.

“He’s unbelievable,” said Rochester Americans coach Chris Taylor, who is leading the prospects. “He jumps in the plays. He’s headsy. He works at every drill. His passes are always on. He shoots with authority. He shoots to score every time he’s out there. He’s a different player.”

But for an organization coming off another last-place season, the day-to-day details matter more. When a seventh-round selection sees the No. 1 overall pick refusing to take a shift off, it resonates. When a high-profile prospect sees Dahlin flying past him on the depth chart, it reverberates.

Edit - a lot,of the same quotes in this Buffalo news article, and it’s free -

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/06/sabres-fans-get-first-look-at-different-rasmus-dahlin-on-friday-night/

Edited by BillsFan4

The below link is a column from WGR by Paul Hamilton. It discusses the progress that Nylander is making as a prospect. If he could continue with his development and in the not too distant future make the leap forward that would be such a bonus for the organization. There are young players in the AHL pipeline such as Babtiste, Bailey and Guhle. If they can make that pro adjustment it would inject some energy in what has recently been a sluggish team. 

It's apparent that Botterill believes in the process/player development. That might not be a quick fix but it is the right route to go. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/amerks-taylor-happy-how-nylander-has-worked-summer

From the Athletic:

2018-19 NHL Season Preview: Buffalo Sabres

Read this to learn more about how these projections work and this to understand the uncertainty each projection carries.

Last year was supposed to be the year the Sabres took the next step, one toward finally being competitive after a long and painful rebuild. They made some big moves in the offseason, hired a new coach, and were expecting internal growth from their young core, specifically budding superstar Jack Eichel, who had missed the start of the season prior with an ankle injury. Instead, it was a gigantic misstep, right back toward rock bottom.

That misstep meant a huge reward, though: a franchise saviour at defence – the position this team needed the most help with. After a dark decade in the basement, it seems as if there’s finally light at the end of the tunnel. The Sabres have the league’s best prospect pool according to our Corey Pronman and this season looks like it could finally be the year they turn a corner. For real this time.

Screen-Shot-2018-09-05-at-12.25.50-PM.png

Nylander looking to make most of opportunity at Prospects Challenge

For young players looking to make an impression at training camp with the Buffalo Sabres, the Prospects Challenge serves as a springboard. It's a chance to shake off the rust against top prospects from three organizations, an advantage their veteran counterparts won't have when camp opens next week.

Nobody knows the importance of this weekend better than Alex Nylander. Nylander arrived in Buffalo at this time last year bigger and stronger than he had been in the spring, his sights set on securing an NHL roster spot as a second-year pro. His development stood out during a practice with his fellow prospects. 

Things changed quickly when it was announced that Nylander would miss the entirety of the Prospects Challenge with a lower-body injury. The severity of the injury snowballed, first forcing him to miss the entirety of training camp and then the first month and a half of his season in Rochester.

Needless to say, Nylander is grateful that he'll be in the lineup for the Sabres when they open the Prospects Challenge against the New Jersey Devils on Friday night.

Projected Lineup

41 Victor Olofsson - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 72 Tage Thompson
92 Alex Nylander - 74 Rasmus Asplund - 52 Andrew Oglevie
73 Matej Pekar - 86 Kevin Hancock - 79 Cole Coskey
76 Pascal Aquin - 78 Myles Powell - 46 Eric Cornel

26 Rasmus Dahlin - 33 William Borgen
44 Brandon Hickey - 58 Oskari Laaksonen
24 Lawrence Pilut - 84 Nicholas Welsh

34 Jonas Johansson
1 Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

On impulse, I bought a ticket to tonight's game against the Devils' prospects.    This prospect group looks really interesting, especially the top two forward lines and top 4 defense.   

For the first time in about a decade, I'm actually excited to watch some Sabres hockey.  I just hope it's not another case of Lucy taking the ball away from Charlie Brown...