Keto Diet

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

son, you need to put a few on! But yes, I do the hot yoga! It has been requested by the ladies I wear only my compression shorts and leave the running shorts in the locker room! And a shirt is an absolute no no according to the ladies!

Are you sure that’s not aqua aerobics with the old ladies at the YMCA? Are you packin’ a spare sock in those shorts to make the old gals giggle? 

I might be able to sweat enough at hot yoga to fill that pool. My problem is I need to get the weight off my gut and send it to where I used to have muscle. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seems to be everywhere these days. Any health professionals here able to weigh in (no pun intended) on its effectiveness and if it has cons as well? I eat relatively healthy and work out regularly but feel like 1/2 my work and neighborhood is on this diet right now. High fat/no carb (except veg)  What gives...

Tried Atkins no-carb a few years ago. (Essentially keto) after a few weeks my kidneys felt like someone took a baseball bat to them. Some people can't physically deal with keto.

I did finally lose weight when I started keeping track of my calories with the My Fitness Pal phone app. Dropped 70 pounds in a little more than a year.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Tried Atkins no-carb a few years ago. (Essentially keto) after a few weeks my kidneys felt like someone took a baseball bat to them. Some people can't physically deal with keto.

I did finally lose weight when I started keeping track of my calories with the My Fitness Pal phone app. Dropped 70 pounds in a little more than a year.

Wow! You must feel SO much better. Congrats on that. I gained, then lost about 20 lbs once. A rotator cuff injury took tennis away from me for 18 months. That calorie/excercise imbalance did me in. I thought THAT was a huge difference. Very glad you found something that worked for you. 

34 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

cant hurt maybe? ... I think I am missing something with the goats/yoga thing

son, you need to put a few on! But yes, I do the hot yoga! It has been requested by the ladies I wear only my compression shorts and leave the running shorts in the locker room! And a shirt is an absolute no no according to the ladies!

Has Goat Yoga not made it’s way to Richmond? It’s a thing but I’m not a patron 

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/goat-yoga-the-latest-craze/

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wow! You must feel SO much better. Congrats on that. I gained, then lost about 20 lbs once. A rotator cuff injury took tennis away from me for 18 months. That calorie/excercise imbalance did me in. I thought THAT was a huge difference. Very glad you found something that worked for you. 

Thanks. Just FYI I'm a big guy to start. 6' 6". Was 380, now down to 310. Would like to hit 250 but would settle for 280. But counting calories tracking what I eat will be what I do forever.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Thanks. Just FYI I'm a big guy to start. 6' 6". Was 380, now down to 310. Would like to hit 250 but would settle for 280. But counting calories tracking what I eat will be what I do forever.

Can you plug the middle and stop the run? We need to free up the LB’s! 

I step on the scale every morning. I’m about 6’1” and 190#. When I creep up, I know it and it stays in the back of my mind thru the day. I’d like to drop about 5, or at least move it from my gut to where I used to have muscle. My doctor once told me I could do pretty much anything, but when you turn 40 it takes it’s toll. I’m now 58, and I need to pay far more attention to doing the right stuff. We eat well (salmon and sautéed spinach tonight), but I need more cardio and (a little - I hope) less wine. 

Best of luck hitting your goals. Just every day moving around must feel so much better! I know it did for me just dropping 20. 

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can you play RT? :)

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can you play RT? :)

I play goal in beer league hockey.

One reason I did this is my knees. Most of the cartilage is gone in the inside compartments of both knees. Playing hockey is hard but it's the only real exercise I get.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I play goal in beer league hockey.

And LeBron thinks he’s a basketball player...... He should change sports and play TE for the Bills. He’d be better than Jordan at baseball. THAT might settle the GOAT! 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seems to be everywhere these days. Any health professionals here able to weigh in (no pun intended) on its effectiveness and if it has cons as well? I eat relatively healthy and work out regularly but feel like 1/2 my work and neighborhood is on this diet right now. High fat/no carb (except veg)  What gives...

https://articles.mercola.com/ketogenic-diet.aspx

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My husband, son, and son's SO are all on it right now (the son's SO has done the best, she is down almost 40# and needed to stop about 10 pounds ago! ?)

I asked my doc if I could do it too, and was told, "absolutely not".  Apparently, it isn't for everyone.

Unless your doctor is nutrionist, he has little training in diet and nutrition. General Doctors are trained in drug therapy and treating symptoms not the cause.

15 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Do 3 days a week hot yoga.. flow sessions..cut out one night of beer...that 10 be gone in a month!

I've completely cut out alcohol for about 2 months now and have tried to limit the processed stuff.  I should probably step on a scale at some point to see how that's going.  The only problem is that a lingering shoulder/neck issue has limited my productivity at the gym.  This break from alcohol thing is about to die a horrible death though.  I'll be spending a week with the in-laws later this month.

Edited by shrader
  • Haha (+1) 1

Full Keto is dangerous

What you can do, if you are trying to drop some fat, that's less dangerous and more sustainable...

Figure out what you body needs per day calorie-wise.  There are various calculators out there.  Try a few.  Then subtract 500-1000 calories and make that your goal.

Track every single thing you consume in My Fitness Pal.  

You want to shoot for (around) 50% Protein, 30% Carbohydrates, and 20% Fat.  Supplementing with protein powders (whey and/or Casein mixed with water or unsweetened almond milk) or a protein bar is probably a must.  Lean proteins like Chicken, eggs, (cheese), and fish are preferable to red meats.  The best carbohydrates are consumed in the form of clean ones like Brown Rice or Quinoa.... but overall, if you land in you calorie goal and nutrition distribution, you are good.  Dieting, you will find that a few pieces of bacon arent worth it if they take up like 20% of what you can eat for the day.

Drink black coffee throughout the morning.  It suppresses appetite.

Lift weights 3-4 times per week.  Can also do some cardio if you like, but not absolutely necessary.  The protein you are consuming, along with the caloric defecit... along with keeping the muscles you have intact (without weights your muscle will burn off with fat)... will ensure that you are burning fat with the highest possible efficiency, which will make you appear "cut" when you get down.

Shoot to lose 2 pounds per week.  Adjust you calories to hit that average.  

slicing back on sugar consumption (read the labels to see how much sugar is in "healthy things") and combinations of carbs and fat is good.

you need carbs or fat or you will crash eventually, plus you need some spice in life no matter how pathetic it can seem...

A glass of orange juice has more sugar than a can of Coca-Cola, if a packet is 3 grams, there's 17 packets of sugar (or fructose corn syrup poison) in there, you'd stop me by the 4th packet that I poured into my coffee, right?

I dropped 35 pounds over the last year through this, with NO SUFFERING at all, and have allowed sugar and stuff back in for moderate amounts while maintaining this weight just fine.

i'd still like to take off another 30 and aim to gear up to do this over the next year and a half.

Edited by row_33

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

slicing back on sugar consumption (read the labels to see how much sugar is in "healthy things") and combinations of carbs and fat is good.

you need carbs or fat or you will crash eventually, plus you need some spice in life no matter how pathetic it can seem...

A glass of orange juice has more sugar than a can of Coca-Cola, if a packet is 3 grams, there's 17 packets of sugar (or fructose corn syrup poison) in there, you'd stop me by the 4th packet that I poured into my coffee, right?

I dropped 35 pounds over the last year through this, with NO SUFFERING at all, and have allowed sugar and stuff back in for moderate amounts while maintaining this weight just fine.

i'd still like to take off another 30 and aim to gear up to do this over the next year and a half.

Drinking calories and sugar is probably the biggest culprit in most individuals' struggles with weight

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Full Keto is dangerous

What you can do, if you are trying to drop some fat, that's less dangerous and more sustainable...

Figure out what you body needs per day calorie-wise.  There are various calculators out there.  Try a few.  Then subtract 500-1000 calories and make that your goal.

Track every single thing you consume in My Fitness Pal.  

You want to shoot for (around) 50% Protein, 30% Carbohydrates, and 20% Fat. 

Drink black coffee throughout the morning.  It suppresses appetite.

Where is your clinical data to support what you are advocating?

The CDC lists 15% of protein for males 20+. 20% if you are an athlete. This is based on extensive clinical results.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/diet.htm

I expect that caffeine is the basis for your coffee claim. Is that correct?

I don't know about clinical data, but to get your body to cut fat, that is the best/most efficient way to do it.  I learned it from research and trying different things (years ago). Found all I needed to know on the bodybuilding.com forums.  Here is an explanation

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001&p=1481919401&viewfull=1#post1481919401

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165843261

That type of thing, when implemented made fat fall off quickly and easily.  I have provided a few people with the same info and they (if they are committed) see "rapid" results.  

If you are just maintaining or are an already in reasonable shape person (or an athlete), a distribution closer to that link is more advisable.  

And yes to caffeine.  If you are dieting, it is your friend (but with care).

Id also add, drink a lot of water.

Edited by May Day 10

I have used a restricted keto diet (Atkins) for weight loss with great success. I just successfully completed 2 months and lost 25 pounds (taking a break going to buddys wedding in Ohio this weekend.) 

As someone who has done this a couple times, the biggest thing to remember is DO NOT under ANY circumstances skimp on fluid intake. It helps with the weight loss, and is necessary to help your body process the extra sodium intake.

Also take a multi vitamin every day, as you are eating no fruits. 

Keto, on its face, is not inherently dangerous.

It's a diet like many others--it can help you lose weight by cutting calories.  Like many other diets that cut out entire groups of food, it's important to pay attention to what nutrients you may be missing and supplement appropriately as required.

Personally, I'm a huge proponent of IIFYM, but I have indeed used keto in the past with some success.  There are many options for making it delicious and sustainable.

As someone that gets paid to advise people in this regard, I tell everyone the same thing: try it and see how it goes, but again, focus on the health aspects of it, and keep in mind that cutting out certain nutrients isn't ideal from a whole health perspective.