Keto Diet

Seems to be everywhere these days. Any health professionals here able to weigh in (no pun intended) on its effectiveness and if it has cons as well? I eat relatively healthy and work out regularly but feel like 1/2 my work and neighborhood is on this diet right now. High fat/no carb (except veg)  What gives...

My husband, son, and son's SO are all on it right now (the son's SO has done the best, she is down almost 40# and needed to stop about 10 pounds ago! ?)

I asked my doc if I could do it too, and was told, "absolutely not".  Apparently, it isn't for everyone.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My husband, son, and son's SO are all on it right now (the son's SO has done the best, she is down almost 40# and needed to stop about 10 pounds ago! ?)

I asked my doc if I could do it too, and was told, "absolutely not".  Apparently, it isn't for everyone.

Did your doc say why? I’m curious but not sure I would do it, just wondering why it’s ok for some but not others 

The Keto diet along with other low carb/high fat/protein diets (i.e., Paleo, Whole30, Atkins) are popular. Most of these diets are difficult to sustain but can work well in the short term. Typically, you are ingesting more sodium and with the higher protein, cholesterol levels may increase.

I exercise intensely quite a bit and do not use a diet. I weigh 5 lbs more than when I graduated from HS a long time ago. I try to eat healthy, avoid processed foods and fast foods, and do not over eat. I do not find it difficult to skip meals (e.g., lunch if I know I will be going out for dinner). I have two tenets: 1.) eat no more calories than what you will expend in watts that day 2.) 80/20 rule: eat healthy 80% of the time but enjoy what you want the other 20%.

Some people require more structure which is why these diets, NutriSystem, and others exist. If they work for you, then great. Some are very restrictive which makes it difficult when going to a restaurant. And others avoid foods that are certainly healthy.

If I were on one of these diets, I would request a periodic lipid panel performed to make sure cholesterol, ldl, hdl, tris had not changed adversely from this diet due to the high protein consumption.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Did your doc say why? I’m curious but not sure I would do it, just wondering why it’s ok for some but not others 

Yes, my doc said why (as it pertained to me and my health).  You'd have to ask your doctor about your specific health concerns before starting any radically different diet.

In some ways, I was glad I was told no because... YAY Carbs! But it sure would have been a lot easier from a cooking perspective to have us both on the same meal plan (when my husband first started, I ate some of his high-fat foods + my carbs... that was a bad decision.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Listen to the Man of Info..he a pretty sharp cookie!

That Keto diet has like no fruit i believe..might miss that more than anything! (well, not more than beer)

As they say..eat less, exercise more....it  has been proven over 1000's of years to consistently yield results!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That Keto diet has like no fruit i believe..might miss that more than anything! (well, not more than beer)

As they say..eat less, exercise more....it  has been proven over 1000's of years to consistently yield results!!!

I really only feel like I want to lose about 10. Probably don’t need such a strict diet. I’ve always eaten pretty healthy but never followed any diet.  But lately the following on this thing has been pretty overwhelming. I’m too much of a YOLO person (obviously) to commit to anything like this. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really only feel like I want to lose about 10. Probably don’t need such a strict diet. I’ve always eaten pretty healthy but never followed any diet.  But lately the following on this thing has been pretty overwhelming. I’m too much of a YOLO person (obviously) to commit to anything like this. 

Do 3 days a week hot yoga.. flow sessions..cut out one night of beer...that 10 be gone in a month!

28 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Do 3 days a week hot yoga.. flow sessions..cut out one night of beer...that 10 be gone in a month!

Interesting... sounds about right. Thanks - I don’t drink a lot at one time but I do drink frequently (like a glass of wine 3 nights/week plus weekend drinks flow). I suspect that’s the root of the extra weight. It’s a matter of not doing that. I do like yoga. We have beer yoga here which ... may defeat the purpose 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Cut down on drinking and eating sugar

I’m on a form of Keto by a place called Ideal You. I’ve dripped over 30lbs in a month. Took off a few weeks when I went to St. Lucia. Gained about 5lbs during those 2 weeks. Back at it again. Still have another 20-30lbs to go before I’m where I want to be. 

In that hat time I haven’t touched a weight, or walked more than 1/4 mile walking my dog. 

My girlfriend and I are doing some Keto/Atkins the last month or so because we're both diabetics. It's definitely helped me in terms of blood sugar yet not noticed a drop in weight but I'm not overly hefty at 5'5" 140#. We both need to hit the gym again though as we used to go 3x a week but she broke her foot a about a year ago but not been back since.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Cut down on drinking and eating sugar

That’s truly what I need to do. I don’t eat a ton of “sugar” by any means (never eat candy or dessert, just don’t care for it except ice cream)  but I don’t really track it either - eat “normal” carbs like wheat bread, crackers, etc. 

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

My girlfriend and I are doing some Keto/Atkins the last month or so because we're both diabetics...

I will ask since you stated it.

Are you and your girlfriend type 1 or type 2 diabetics?

If you are type 2, here is a good compendium article on why glucose levels can be better on this diet. Some of the reported results are conflicting and, as the article states, long term studies are necessary to determine effects of additional protein in type 2 diets.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/349857-is-the-atkins-diet-good-for-type-ii-diabetes/

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seems to be everywhere these days. Any health professionals here able to weigh in (no pun intended) on its effectiveness and if it has cons as well? I eat relatively healthy and work out regularly but feel like 1/2 my work and neighborhood is on this diet right now. High fat/no carb (except veg)  What gives...

13 hours ago, Mr Info said:

I will ask since you stated it.

Are you and your girlfriend type 1 or type 2 diabetics?

If you are type 2, here is a good compendium article on why glucose levels can be better on this diet. Some of the reported results are conflicting and, as the article states, long term studies are necessary to determine effects of additional protein in type 2 diets.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/349857-is-the-atkins-diet-good-for-type-ii-diabetes/

I'm type 1 and she's type 2 but she isn't as weight proportioned as me.

Edited by The Jokeman

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Do you really do hot yoga? My wife used to go, but now moved on to Orange Theory. I have a mat! Ive never used it. I was hoping to go and lay on it and just sweat.  Better than nothing. I’ll give up a night of beer.....I prefer wine in my old age. 

I don’t need to lose more than about 5 lbs, but I need more cardio and to probably get my BP down. It’s not the weight as much as what it consists of. My tall skinny sister who never smoked and walked miles a day had quadruple bypass surgery when she was younger than I am now. Lost my only uncle (had no aunts) to a heart attack. Time for me to get serious about improving habits and health. 

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I don't have goats.  Merely asking if they are required.

cant hurt maybe? ... I think I am missing something with the goats/yoga thing

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you really do hot yoga? My wife used to go, but now moved on to Orange Theory. I have a mat! Ive never used it. I was hoping to go and lay on it and just sweat.  Better than nothing. I’ll give up a night of beer.....I prefer wine in my old age. 

I don’t need to lose more than about 5 lbs, but I need more cardio and to probably get my BP down. It’s not the weight as much as what it consists of. My tall skinny sister who never smoked and walked miles a day had quadruple bypass surgery when she was younger than I am now. Lost my only uncle (had no aunts) to a heart attack. Time for me to get serious about improving habits and health. 

son, you need to put a few on! But yes, I do the hot yoga! It has been requested by the ladies I wear only my compression shorts and leave the running shorts in the locker room! And a shirt is an absolute no no according to the ladies!