SC sides with CO baker

you really cannot force a private business to perform a task they don't want to, especially if the client is free and unhampered from going to dozens of other suitable options immediately.

Well, it looks like you can't always be made to care. Well done, SCOTUS.

What's particularly funny are the headlines ABC and NBC...Court sides with baker who refused to make a gay wedding cake.

Can you make a gay wedding cake? I thought it was born that way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Narrow in its scope, which is why Kennedy got 6 justices to side with him instead of 4.

35 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Narrow refers to scope, apparently. I am sure the headlines lacked punctuation so the typical person who didn't read past them would assume a squeaker at 5-4. I think this is saying Colorado Civil Rights Commission violated the baker's civil rights based on religion.

At some point they are gonna have to make a decision as to whether or not artists (or anyone) can be forced to work for someone for any reason (religion, I don't like you, you smell, etc). I have no idea how this was argued though... a violation of the baker's civil rights on freedom of religion? If so, not the place for the "you can walk in and buy anything off the shelf, but you can't make me design something for you" ruling.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
typo

17 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Narrow in its scope, which is why Kennedy got 6 justices to side with him instead of 4.

2 of them wouldn't agree that today is Monday, the way they usually reason...

"Kennedy added: “As the record shows, some of the commissioners at the Commission’s formal, public hearings endorsed the view that religious beliefs cannot legitimately be carried into the public sphere or commercial domain, disparaged Phillips’ faith as despicable and characterized it as merely rhetorical, and compared his invocation of his sincerely held religious beliefs to defenses of slavery and the Holocaust.”"

Just now, row_33 said:

2 of them wouldn't agree that today is Monday, the way they usually reason...

Indeed.  Ginsburg and Sotomayor have given up on even the appearance of the political neutrality that jurists should aspire to.  The open contempt that the CCRC showed towards the baker's religious objections speaks for itself; the man never got a fair shake until he was granted cert by the USSC.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Indeed.  Ginsburg and Sotomayor have given up on even the appearance of the political neutrality that jurists should aspire to.  The open contempt that the CCRC showed towards the baker's religious objections speaks for itself; the man never got a fair shake until he was granted cert by the USSC.

hopefully Trump doesn't appoint a stalking horse Dem, like a Souter, who sides with liberal and baseless views 99.9% of the time unexpectedly

It would be great if a Dem nomination suddenly went pro-life upon assuming the SC, we are owed about 6 of them...

8 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

It's a shame that this had to go to the SC.  Lower courts should have come to the same conclusion, but lawyers don't have to look far in the lower courts for activist judges that are in their corner. 

sending a message is more important than justice and common sense

the best solution currently is the forced baker puts an ad in the local paper announcing all proceeds from this upcoming nuptuals will be donated to an emergency pregnancy center.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

hopefully Trump doesn't appoint a stalking horse Dem, like a Souter, who sides with liberal and baseless views 99.9% of the time unexpectedly

It would be great if a Dem nomination suddenly went pro-life upon assuming the SC, we are owed about 6 of them...

Recent Republican presidents not named George W. Bush and Donald Trump have an awful track record when it comes to that.  Based on his Gorsuch pick I don't think Trump would make the same mistakes Reagan and H. W. did.

• Like (+1) 1