How Continuity is Helping the Bills' Defense Improve this Offseason

This is what players always say coming into the second season under the same system.  The second season is when you should expect the defense to make big strides, making plays instead of just stops.  Players become comfortable with each other and have confidence that the other guy will do his job.  

Often I. Tebuukds, and it's true with the Bills, is that there's a lot of new personnel to work into the mix in the second season. Third season is when the entire defense typically is mature.  But the Bills may mature faster, because not many of the new guys are rookies.  Star, Vontae and Murphy shouldn't need most of the season to get up to speed.  

Much too early to know anything,  ut this defense could be very good I. 2018. 

In my dream world, the defense is top 5 and Josh Allen is a top 10 passer.  

Thanks for the post. 

Edited by Shaw66

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Well, the other question is can somebody get a little pressure on the QB. Please?

Jerry was good at getting pressure last year. His problem was finishing with a sack. Statistically speaking he was a top 10 DE for quarterback pressures. Seems like such an odd stat when you see his sack number.

Gill Byrd fired. Under his guidance, Bills’ safety Micah Hyde was named to his first Pro Bowl, Hyde and fellow safety Jordan Poyer both earned separate AFC Defensive Player of the Month honors, Tre’Davious White earned a Defensive Rookie of the Month award, and White is a solid candidate for the league’s Defensive Rookie of the Year.    

Replaced by John Butler who was fired by the Texans

Mike Waufle retired  replaced by Bill Teerlinck

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/reports-bills-dismiss-db-coach-gill-byrd-and-hire-john-butler

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Gill Byrd fired. Under his guidance, Bills’ safety Micah Hyde was named to his first Pro Bowl, Hyde and fellow safety Jordan Poyer both earned separate AFC Defensive Player of the Month honors, Tre’Davious White earned a Defensive Rookie of the Month award, and White is a solid candidate for the league’s Defensive Rookie of the Year.    

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/reports-bills-dismiss-db-coach-gill-byrd-and-hire-john-butler

Does it really matter all that much who the DB’s coach is?  I mean, I’m sure McD has a major influence over that position group.  WRT Waufle, I called for his firing mid-season last year.  He was tuuuurble.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

...never was any info as to why the Byrd firing happened that I can recall.....

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Jerry was good at getting pressure last year. His problem was finishing with a sack. Statistically speaking he was a top 10 DE for quarterback pressures. Seems like such an odd stat when you see his sack number.

If Star can get enough push up the middle to stop QB's from stepping up and there is SOME pressure from the other side I can see

Hughes getting more sacks this year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Sean McDermott. He's the real reason those guys have done well.

It's not like Gill Byrd has never been fired ...

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...never was any info as to why the Byrd firing happened that I can recall.....

Because Sean McDermott wanted a different coach. The defense and especially the secondary is his forte. He gets to do what he wants.

Edited by MJS

5 hours ago, Doc said:

The question mark will be Edmunds at MLB.  If he can at least provide what Brown did last year, the defense should be really good.

If they solve the LB issues we saw last year, Edmunds is as you suggest ? They might have fixed the D line. this goes to Augie's point as well.
Secondary was quite good last year and i guess they might be even better this year.
Fixing the front seven was the project Bills have seem to addressed on paper

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

noticed that as well. I did start watching him closer by midseason. He did get after it. But i have rarely seen so much uncalled holding on  a pass rusher beating his man. I expect this year will be an uptick for both 55 and 95 with this defense growing nicely

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Continuity?  We'll likely have 5 new starters on defense.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Continuity in terms of the same defensive system from last season with many players returning from 2017. 

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

The last time we had "continuity" on D was Rex's 2nd year.  I'm from Missouri on this one.

Don't BBFS on this one. Rex is long gone with the defense in good hands under McDermott and Frazier.

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The last time we had "continuity" on D was Rex's 2nd year.  I'm from Missouri on this one.

But IMO it wasn't truly continuity because Rex ran some "half pregnant" version of his & Schwartz's defense year 1. He didn't fully install his own defense until year 2 when he brought his brother in (who was said to have made a lot of changes to the defensive scheme and play calls). 

I remember players talking about trying to learn the defensive scheme in year 2, and even remember (a) guy(s) in training camp saying it was almost like installing a new defense at times. 

So it wasnt technically what I'd call continuity... (at least IMO). 

Not like this year, anyway.

This is basically the first time since 2010-2011 that the Bills (defensive) players have actually had the same DC and defensive scheme for 2 years in a row. 

The Bills have been in constant upheaval for so long. I really hope !cDermott and his staff can put an end to that.