Anybody live near a railroad track?

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you realize there are other cars on the road? 

Are they smaller and quieter than that? 

I don’t cross the road without looking both ways. Why would I do any less at a railroad track? Should cars honk their horns at every intersection? 

The hearing impaired are complaining about cars being quieter.

I agree with you.  Just saying living around certain things, you get desensitized.

At my father's house in WNY.  It is quieter here and I notice it.  I cross so many tracks in Illinois, I don't think twice about it driving thru down.  I do tend to look though... Most of the time.

Lived by tracks most of my life. I bought a house on the same street i grew up, tracks run behind the houses across the street.

Lived in Seneca falls for five years had a house maybe 100 yards a way from the tracks.

Grew up with tracks behind the next street over, no crossing nearby so no horns usually, but you got used to the rumble and the sound of the train going by.

Similar to now, bought a house that the rear yard backs into industrial property. Theres a large factory less than a mile away. Thought it was one of the ones closed down and not open any more. First morning woke up to hear soft banging and rattling in the house. The factory is still open and the hammers in the forge work during the day. You dont notice it much anymore. Believe this is the reason the house was built with concrete block exterior walls.

I know some new subdivisions being built near railway tracks, the municipalities have it written in the subdivision agreements that the houses have certain conditions on their construction. They typically have a hill up to the tracks and a sound wall at the top. The rear of the house also requires special construction to make things quieter, and they all are required to have central a/c so windows dont have to be open to cool the house down.

4 hours ago, Gary M said:

Lived by tracks most of my life. I bought a house on the same street i grew up, tracks run behind the houses across the street.

Lived in Seneca falls for five years had a house maybe 100 yards a way from the tracks.

Hornell's economy used to be greatly dependent on the railroad business.  An acquaintance I knew while attending SUNY Alfred had a father and grandfather employed in a RR repair shop there until sometime in the 1970's.  The 1960's were a bad time for the privately owned railroads as they had lost their competitive  edge versus trucking and locally Hurricane Agnes in 1972 was the last nail in the coffin for much of the Southern Tier in terms of RR.  I don't recall seeing a train during my 2 years at Alfred back in the 1980's but I think there was supposed to be some RR activity.  I think Amtrak ran through there and I believe some lumber and coal was coming through out of PA.  Maybe somebody here knows more?

On 6/3/2018 at 8:57 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Once I decided to take the Amtrak from Worcester to Buffalo. (It was nice other than the complete lack of mobile data along the way.) One place outside of Albany the train went full speed right through the middle of town. I'm talking down Main Street past businesses and homes at 60+ mph. Later I figured it was Fonda, NY. Can't believe people there put to with that.

I've never been through Fonda, NY but Churchville, NY (west of Rochester) is similar as the main lines cut through the town.  I knew a college friend who was from there and I was warned about crossing RTE 36 over the tracks as the trains come up very quick.  That track is also at grade with a bunch of country roads around the Rochester region as well.