Ranking Drought GMs

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Interesting.  Because Woods wasn't good enough to be anything more than a decent #2 option WR.  Brown was a deficient slow MLB who was a liability in pass coverage.  Darby was a CB who could either play incredible or get embarrassed on a week to week basis.  Kiko was an undersized MLB who had 6 good games, fell off the map, tore an ACL again and is a rotational player on his 3rd team in 5 years.  Watkins was a star potential WR with maturity issues, who made a target of himself in the media, couldn't stay healthy, was traded to ANOTHER team that couldn't use him and is now on HIS third team in 4 years.  John Miller is the definition of a low ceiling OG who had a decent rookie campaign and has lost his job to Vlad Ducasse.  Shaq is a perpetual first round disappointment, who can't rush the passer, can't stay healthy, and missed almost a whole year due to Whaley incorrectly assessing his shoulder.  Ragland is a scheme specific old school MLB, who again, is a slow liability against the pass, and was sold to the lowest bidder.  

So tell me, Gug, @Kirby Jackson, THESE are the gems of Whaley's drafting career? Picks in the top 3 rounds who are mostly flawed rotational players at best, and downright trash at worst?  These are the players who were "good enough?"

I'll have what you're having.

You're obviously one of these people who will work hard trying to make Whaley look like a failure.  You're not discussing this topic; you're just arguing and borderline crusading.

Your logic is the same logic as guys who use Tom Brady as the bar when discussing how good a QB is.  In your mind, because every one of Whaley's picks isn't an imminent Hall of Famer, then that means Whaley sucked.

Your logic is flawed.  I'll move along and have discussions with rational people and share recipes.  I don't have the time, energy or desire to get into this with you.

Have a great day, man.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

You're obviously one of these people who will work hard trying to make Whaley look like a failure.  You're not discussing this topic; you're just arguing and borderline crusading.

Your logic is the same logic as guys who use Tom Brady as the bar when discussing how good a QB is.  In your mind, because every one of Whaley's picks isn't an imminent Hall of Famer, then that means Whaley sucked.

Your logic is flawed.  I'll move along and have discussions with rational people and share recipes.  I don't have the time, energy or desire to get into this with you.

Have a great day, man.

Every?  How about one star?  

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s because a lot of the “core” was there. It’s easier to be a GM on a bad team. There is a lot of work to be done. It is much harder to fill in the spots because there is less margin for error. It’s much easier to be the GM of the Phoenix Suns than the Houston Rockets. The Rockets are seeking specific pieces to put them over the top. The Suns are seeking any kind of talent. 

Also, don’t underestimate Whaley’s involvement in those drafts (both good and bad). Nix and Whaley were very, very, very collaborative. They worked very closely on all of that. 

Tell that to the Orlando magic GMs lately ??

• Haha (+1) 1

Whaley no doubt. We had our best drought team wrexed. Idk how long they've been doing the 100 best players in the NFL but guarantee that 2014 roster had by far the most of the drought. All the way back to 2001 I guess. 

Hughes, Dareus, Mario, Kyle, Fredex, Gilmore all could have made it.

I know they're not all Whaley guys but he got the perfect personell and system for the defense (Schwartz hire?)

And Spikes was a baller, that was the best team by far IMO. 

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Interesting.  Because Woods wasn't good enough to be anything more than a decent #2 option WR.  Brown was a deficient slow MLB who was a liability in pass coverage.  Darby was a CB who could either play incredible or get embarrassed on a week to week basis.  Kiko was an undersized MLB who had 6 good games, fell off the map, tore an ACL again and is a rotational player on his 3rd team in 5 years.  Watkins was a star potential WR with maturity issues, who made a target of himself in the media, couldn't stay healthy, was traded to ANOTHER team that couldn't use him and is now on HIS third team in 4 years.  John Miller is the definition of a low ceiling OG who had a decent rookie campaign and has lost his job to Vlad Ducasse.  Shaq is a perpetual first round disappointment, who can't rush the passer, can't stay healthy, and missed almost a whole year due to Whaley incorrectly assessing his shoulder.  Ragland is a scheme specific old school MLB, who again, is a slow liability against the pass, and was sold to the lowest bidder.  

So tell me, Gug, @Kirby Jackson, THESE are the gems of Whaley's drafting career? Picks in the top 3 rounds who are mostly flawed rotational players at best, and downright trash at worst?  These are the players who were "good enough?"

I'll have what you're having.

You have very high expectations of a GM man

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Whaley no doubt. We had our best drought team wrexed. Idk how long they've been doing the 100 best players in the NFL but guarantee that 2014 roster had by far the most of the drought. All the way back to 2001 I guess. 

Hughes, Dareus, Mario, Kyle, Fredex, Gilmore all could have made it.

I know they're not all Whaley guys but he got the perfect personell and system for the defense (Schwartz hire?)

And Spikes was a baller, that was the best team by far IMO. 

You have very high expectations of a GM man

No, just regular old expectations.  

That list of players you mentioned wasn't just "not all Whaley guys,"  only ONE of them were Whaley guys.  

And Schwartz was hired by his HC, Doug Marrone.

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

No, just regular old expectations.  

That list of players you mentioned wasn't just "not all Whaley guys,"  only ONE of them were Whaley guys.  

And Schwartz was hired by his HC, Doug Marrone.

Well other GMs like to blow the team up rather than building from their predecessor.. there's far worse. Not a shot a beane either, but Whaley grabbed the cards he was given and improved it. He whiffed on QB and got wrexed. Wasn't great, certainly wasn't horrible.

Sometimes what you don't do is a good thing. Whaley could have traded Mario for a 3rd cause he wants everyone to know he's running the show

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Well other GMs like to blow the team up rather than building from their predecessor.. there's far worse. Not a shot a beane either, but Whaley grabbed the cards he was given and improved it. He whiffed on QB and got wrexed. Wasn't great, certainly wasn't horrible.

Sometimes what you don't do is a good thing. Whaley could have traded Mario for a 3rd cause he wants everyone to know he's running the show

This is fair and I don't disagree.

I just think draft pick "hits" have to be based on the quality of player you get, and a higher quality player is a better hit than a lesser one.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1