$70,000,000 High School Football Stadium

On 6/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, FappyTheClown said:

And I thought a local high school getting Astro Turf was bad.

But, Football is religion in some parts of the South and I don't live there anyway, so let it rip.

When you add up how much it takes to keep a grass field in good condition turf is a smart investment for a high school.  You can play on it all year without destroying it, and you don't have to water it, feed it, mow it, use pesticide on it, aerate it, etc.  The field never closes because of weather and you can host multiple events in a single day without killing the field.  Soccer, lacrosse, and football each tend to have a specific wear pattern on the field.  Football is the center of the field between the hashes, lacrosse is the goal crease area and soccer is the 18 yard box.  Football and girls soccer are in the fall and in most parts of the country the grass doesn't have time to recover before winter.  Then you have lacrosse and boys soccer out on the field in March before it wakes up and starts growing again (and also when it's super wet and you are very prone to tearing it up).  Add it all together and you've done a lot of damage to your field during the time your customers (the students) are trying to use it.  You do your repairs over the summer (hopefully) and the field is hopefully ready for Fall football and you repeat the cycle.  Have a bad weather year and you're looking at a full re-sod.  Have a bad fall season and your field are considerably less safe for all of your other sports.

All that said, 70M for a HS football stadium is insanity.

Edited by That's No Moon

I thought, and still do think, that my towns 25M footbal stadium renovation was ridiculous. But we also got a 20M pool, 10M basketball court 10M music building and 20M science academy for our bond money. That campus is pretty freaking incredible. Still are not paying teachers a competitive wage, which is my biggest B word, but Jenks HS is stolk head and shoulder above any other district academically than any other district in my state.