$70,000,000 High School Football Stadium

3 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

What's another $10 million in fixes, just like Allen. Notice that PBK does not list either Allen or McKinney in their featured projects on their website. Happened to drive by the Grapevine stadium when I was in the DFW area and wondered how their improvement project is going. People who are shocked by the size of these stadiums are probably not making the connection with Friday Night Lights.

Is this another expensive Texas high school stadium falling apart? Didn't Allen have the same problem?

My father in law was in the concrete biz before retiring. He said the issue is curing. The builder decided to cut corners and not allow the concrete to cure long enough.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is this another expensive Texas high school stadium falling apart? Didn't Allen have the same problem?

Yep, and they're five miles apart.

McKinney:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.1555216,-96.6598274,1119m/data=!3m1!1e3

Allen:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.1143104,-96.6570202,198m/data=!3m1!1e3

I heard the parking garage east of the stadium has the same problem.  Connect the dots...

Apparently the voters approved this as part of a $220 bond issue.  I'm sure its a real nice stadium.  I also suspect they have failed to understand some basic concepts of finance and debt servicing in particular.  The problem is that its unlikely this facility will generate enough revenue to service the $70M debt and the maintenance costs.  So where is the money coming from to pay off the bond holders?  A hefty local tax increase will be needed or the municipality will look to some state or federal bailout, grant, or 'loan' to meet their obligations.   Unfortunately this is happening everywhere at the federal, state, and local level.  

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My father in law was in the concrete biz before retiring. He said the issue is curing. The builder decided to cut corners and not allow the concrete to cure long enough.

I see builders do this all the time in residential construction. Maybe 24 hours at the most after pouring a footing or foundation wall it's getting stripped of the forms and then a few days later they are ready to backfill it. Most dont care if it cracks later, they just have some one come in and patch any cracks afterwards and hope the future  home owner doesn't find any leaks til their warranty is up.

Today it's all about speed/timing in building. You can always take a chance and go back to fix something later on.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Idandria said:

Seems like a crazy amount of money BUT..

if the can pack pack the place (and in Texas, you KNOW they will), they could turn a profit. Friday night lights are no joke down there. 

Both high schools are 5 miles apart so if you think about it half of the area will go to the HS in their area. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Both high schools are 5 miles apart so if you think about it half of the area will go to the HS in their area. 

Sounds like excellent opportunity for house burglars.