Relatives

My great aunt Kiki used to visit us for Christmas every year.  She was a horrible drunk, and would put back a handle of Seagrams gin like it was her job.  Two years in a row, she got hammered up and tore down all the shelves in our upstairs bathroom (apparently trying to prevent herself from falling).  Each year after, my father took down every shelf, picture, or other wall hanging in the entire house.  Man...that woman could drink.  RIP Aunt Kiki.

Both my parents were born and Raised in South Buffalo. Absolutely love my mom's side of the family. Great, down to earth people. Love my dad, loved his mom when she was with us. He has a brother that has been home twice in the past 15 years, once for my grandmothers funeral. My other Aunt lives out of town, but she still came to town about once or twice a year. His other sister moved to the Amherst/Williamsville area. 

My dad is a retired truck driver for the City of Buffalo. Worked his way up to a Supervisor position. My brother is an auto mechanic. I have an office job, but still have a "blue-collar" personality. Every time the three of us go out there, it just feels weird. Like, its hard to put a finger on anything specifically "rude" said to us, but we definitely feel almost like second class because we don't have similar interests. It usually just ends up being the three of us sitting there talking about sports or something. 

My in laws are like Archie and Edith Bunker. Always bickering, never in a good mood. When a holiday involves having my mother in law cook, it’s a mixed blessing. She’s a great cook, but the atmosphere and conversation is awful. My kids and their cousins hated going to holidays there. Boring and stressful. And kids don’t really care if the food is good.