Rules of Being a Sports Fan

8 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Bill Simmons is good at knowing basketball.

That’s it. His knowledge of other sports rivals a deaf monkey.

I like the NFL roundup over the years each week through the last 15 or so years.

On a recent podcast Bill asked a colleague to say what Bill's biggest professional weakness is, the guest refused to say it's that Bill has a horrible presence on camera.

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..in today's climate, it's hard to get the "warm & fuzzy" safe feeling about being a fan in attendance....look at soccer worldwide.......murders, assaults and stampedes over a bad call or "L"?....closer to home, how about the assaults, fights, etc at NFL & MLB games OVER A GAME, some have which resulted in death?.....many folks here have proudly discussed Bills jerseys in their closet...do you really feel safe wearing one to an away game, or more importantly wearing one with your wife and kids accompanying you?.....

In my experience, rooting for the away team, as long as you're not a complete @$$hole about it, you'll be safe. 

and Bill couldn't have known in 2002 what a gravy train was showing up for the next 16 years and counting for Boston fans.

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

In my experience, rooting for the away team, as long as you're not a complete @$$hole about it, you'll be safe. 

most stadiums are fine with you as long as you are good, having a deadpan and wry sense of doom-humour helps as well

do not try this at Eagles or Giants games, the only places (of almost 60 pro/college stadiums) I've seen little people attacked violently without provocation

Edited by row_33

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and Bill couldn't have known in 2002 what a gravy train was showing up for the next 16 years and counting for Boston fans.

most stadiums are fine with you as long as you are good, having a deadpan and wry sense of doom-humour helps as well

do not try this at Eagles or Giants games, the only places (of almost 60 pro/college stadiums) I've seen little people attacked violently without provocation

I've heard Oakland is bad too. I've also heard you're fine if you try to stay out of the "cheap seats."

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I sat next to a nice young Jets fan one time who had one foot on the line. As he had more and more beer I had to have a heart to heart that went kinda like this: “listen, you’re a nice guy, and I’m glad your’e having a good time, but your getting dangerously close to getting beer thrown at you (or worse) and I really don’t want to get wet! Then WE will have a problem” When he realized I was deadly serious, his demeanor changed. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've heard Oakland is bad too. I've also heard you're fine if you try to stay out of the "cheap seats."

We went to see Daniel Tosh one time and after he’d finished offending EVERYBODY he said something like “I apologize for the price of these tickets, but it would be WAY too dangerous to say this stuff in front of people who could only afford cheap seats.” 

Some of thise rules are excessive...

My rules:

1. You are a fan of your home team (within reasonable distance or a choice of the few closest)

2. That's it. You don't get to switch. Ever. You can watch other games, even take sides in those games, but you don't have a second favorite team, you don't buy another teams memorabilia, and you don't even wear another teams item if it was free.

3. If given an article (hat, tshirt, jersey) from a Boston based team, piss on it.

Edited by Shotgunner
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

...sure as hell hope so Joe, especially with your family in tow....but you never know....a buddy of mine, probably 160 lbs, deceptively strong and with fast hands, was at a NASCAR event with his wife and young son years ago....as they cheered for their favorite driver (don't remember who it was), some drunk probably 275+ started ragging on him big time and eventually dumped a beer over his head.....LOL, wrong move.....my buddy beat the living crap out of him to the point where other fans were cheering him on....today, you'd probably get shot...........

an older fan i knew went to visit his son in Oakland and the kid refused to take him to any sports game out of fear

but the kid is a jerk and wouldn't have wanted to go anyway....

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure as hell hope so Joe, especially with your family in tow....but you never know....a buddy of mine, probably 160 lbs, deceptively strong and with fast hands, was at a NASCAR event with his wife and young son years ago....as they cheered for their favorite driver (don't remember who it was), some drunk probably 275+ started ragging on him big time and eventually dumped a beer over his head.....LOL, wrong move.....my buddy beat the living crap out of him to the point where other fans were cheering him on....today, you'd probably get shot...........

if it's provoked and a consented scrap that one's thing

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I live in Houston now. Last time my brother came to visit it happened to be a Bills/Dolphins weekend. We went to the bar, and drank on one tab. Loser (which ended up being him) paid. 

Houston you don't say?  Houston sucks. Can suck some more. Totally **** hole city. Worst in America. Full of losers and idiots and bad people. It's just bad there

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

an older fan i knew went to visit his son in Oakland and the kid refused to take him to any sports game out of fear

if it's provoked and a consented scrap that one's thing

...still sad it is provoked in a family outing, right?........

I do not know where I fall in this as far as the "switch":

I grew up in Western New York and was a yankee fan until the early 2000's when I moved to Orlando.

I have never been to Yankee Stadium and only a few Yankee games but have been to dozens of Rays games and now root for Rays fully even over Yankees.

I think I am clear but I was pretty obnoxious from 1996-2000 so I feel some shame. 

Hardest switch was from friend who was die hard Auburn fan and his cousin ended up in Alabama for basketball. He seems perpetually confused on who he is rooting for now when they play. 

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I grew up in Western New York and was a yankee fan until the early 2000's when I moved to Orlando.

I have never been to Yankee Stadium and only a few Yankee games but have been to dozens of Rays games and now root for Rays fully even over Yankees.

I think I am clear but I was pretty obnoxious from 1996-2000 so I feel some shame. 

Hardest switch was from friend who was die hard Auburn fan and his cousin ended up in Alabama for basketball. He seems perpetually confused on who he is rooting for now when they play. 

You never actually lived in an MLB area. Acceptable. I rooted for Cleveland, and slowly switched when I moved to Houston. Ironically, I didn't jump on the bandwagon, but did it while they were at their lowest. Losing 100 games a year made tickets dirt cheap. I love baseball so I went to at least one game a homestand. They were so cheap I'd pay $5 to park, $5 for a ticket, and they let you bring in whatever food and non alcoholic beverages you wanted. The whole night would cost me a total of $20 including gas.

I should also point out that anything that stops someone from being a Yankees fan, no matter what, is a good thing.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

47 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

family playing for teams is rare and lets you do anything

One the debut of the second Seager, Corey, to MLB, the Dodgers were on the road and the parents were somewhat complaining they had to make a trip for this.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I've been to baseball & football games at the O.co Coliseum  and never saw anything that I was afraid of (except maybe the dump of a stadium falling down) .  Now I didn't go there wearing the opponents gear, either.  I did go to a Nets/Warriors game a few years ago & openly rooted for the Nets without any problems, but the Warriors were winning and nobody cared if I was rooting for the Nets. . 

17 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've been to baseball & football games at the O.co Coliseum  and never saw anything that I was afraid of (except maybe the dump of a stadium falling down) .  Now I didn't go there wearing the opponents gear, either.  I did go to a Nets/Warriors game a few years ago & openly rooted for the Nets without any problems, but the Warriors were winning and nobody cared if I was rooting for the Nets. . 

that's good you cheered for the Nets, but that would be brutal to have to suffer for this....

even at Ohio Stadium we basically had an hour to get out of town as Michigan fans.