Once in a 1000 year storm back after 2 years

16 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

So Buffalo is not the only place that has a curse(s)?  NEVER live in a place that has a "flood history."

There are lots of big cities that were built at or below sea level that aren't going to be around in another 50-75 years or so.

New Orleans and Miami among them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

There are lots of big cities that were built at or below sea level that aren't going to be around in another 50-75 years or so.

People have been saying that since the turn of the century.Just a FYI....the FQ didn't flood when Katrina hit.Brian Williams (NBC) lied about seeing dead bloated bodies floating down Bourbon St. That's one of the reasons why he was fired.

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

They gone.

+584.48' MSL right here... And it all rolls down hill to the sea.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Good. 

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

We will run out of oil by 1999!

The north pole will be ice free by 2005!

Half the world will starve by 2010!

The Southwest will be uninhabitable by 2015!

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

We will run out of oil by 1999!

The north pole will be ice free by 2005!

Half the world will starve by 2010!

The Southwest will be uninhabitable by 2015!

I always enjoyed listening to fundie preacher David J. Smith, ("In your BYE-BULL ") who back in 1999 was predicting the end when the Y2K bug would hit.  However, I never could figure out why in October of 1999, he wanted me to send him money for a full year of 'Newswatch Magazine'.  Wouldn't a 3 month subscription have sufficed?

57 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I always enjoyed listening to fundie preacher David J. Smith, ("In your BYE-BULL ") who back in 1999 was predicting the end when the Y2K bug would hit.  However, I never could figure out why in October of 1999, he wanted me to send him money for a full year of 'Newswatch Magazine'.  Wouldn't a 3 month subscription have sufficed?

Even after the apocalypse, mail will still get delivered to your bunker fortress; by a spunky group of militant teens led by Kevin Costner.

• Haha (+1) 1

Let’s keep a special veteran in our prayers on this holiday.

Eddison Hermond, a National Guard member and an Air Force veteran, was trying to help others when he was swept away in the Ellicott City flooding yesterday, he hasn't been seen or heard from since.

DeSKgmQV4AAPSJw.jpg:large............Bless him and his family.

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

US Federal govt's fiscal year ends in October.  (I think many years ago it was in July).

4 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Certainly sad for one and all ?

I'd like to dig deeper into this story to find out what's really going down.  I bet it has more to due with the terrible location they are living in and horrible design than anything Mutha Nature is throwing @ them.

It is sad.  But you scored lower on the empathy quotient than me... But I am not as empathetic to an area that chronically gets devastating floods.

Obviously the place was designed wrong for modern times.  It was designed for the past.

The place was founded there originally to harness the power of water.  They don't do that anymore. Now, the same power of water is wiping them out more frequently.  What's changed in the last 100+ years. Now, more and more reoccurring floods are happening.  Look @ the years in 20th century that had floods.  Myself, this points to a design problem, not weather. Even MN's post pointed out that underground culverts are abandoned or blocked... That can't be a good thing, especially for this location.

What I am saying... It's like living in one of the barrels of a shotgun.  Great, when the barrels never go off. Great when the one you're living in never goes off because the other barrel can always go off.  Sucks when you don't have that design option and the weapon you're living in is a only one barrel gun now.

LoL... What an effed up a crazy analogy... Even by my standards! ?

But yeah... I am sad...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I think the problem today is that we are building in areas that not to long ago were not considered buildable. But because everyone needs to make money and it's getting tougher to find buildable land, you now find subdivisions being built in what used to be swap land and or garbage land that's being opened up to developers. What was once a natural drainage course is being filled in or changed to make areas developable, then people wonder why their area floods or is always wet.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think the problem today is that we are building in areas that not to long ago were not considered buildable. But because everyone needs to make money and it's getting tougher to find buildable land, you now find subdivisions being built in what used to be swap land and or garbage land that's being opened up to developers. What was once a natural drainage course is being filled in or changed to make areas developable, then people wonder why their area floods or is always wet.

That's a fair part of the problem.  And additionally when former drainage basins/ flood plains get filled then areas upstream/adjacent don't have adequate drainage anymore and formerly floodless areas suddenly get flooded.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yet... Now, retention is mandated.  Years ago, they would squeeze one or two more houses in where the retention pond is today. 

13 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

EII.  As I stated the area does flood regularly.   Just like the tidal basin rain floods every year.  

What the story is about is “the river” flowing down Main Street. 

When you build on granite what more can you expect?  

I thought granite drains like a sieve? Lol

• Haha (+1) 1