Sports and Politics

The recent subpoeanas of baseball superstars both past and present to testify over the steriod issue before a congressional panel smacks of governmental reactionism and should be nipped in the bud. George Will had an excellent article recently where he basically knew that any government interference into a private enterprise especially an institution like Major League baseball is not a good thing in and of itself.

Still I love sports, particularly baseball and inherently knew back in '98 that the "Home Run Chase" was not a good thing for the game.

Turns out sadly that I was right. The McGwires, Bonds, Sosas have done their part to dirty the game but why aren't they more forthcoming? While it shouldn't take the congress to get to the root of the problem Major League Baseball-like any private enterprise-will protect their own for the continuation of of the corporation.

I see no resolution either way.

Uh, millions of dollars?

276062[/snapback]

No kidding ace.

I see it going deeper than that, particularly with the players in question. While no doubt Baseball, like any corporation, while react with fangs reared the sluggers have an image that they would like to maintain and there are doubtless millions who would like to keep that image going.

One only has to look at the tragic Pete Rose and his continuing fight for validation.

No kidding ace.

I see it going deeper than that, particularly with the players in question. While no doubt Baseball, like any corporation, while react  with fangs reared the sluggers have an image that they would like to maintain and there are doubtless millions who would like to keep that image going.

One only has to look at the tragic Pete Rose and his continuing fight for validation.

276068[/snapback]

I don't see anything noble in it. Pretty much all of them are afraid of tarnishing their legacy and their lucrative post baseball lives - especially if they end up like ol' Pete - on the outside looking in at the HoF.

This is nothing more than a glory grab for clowns who don't show the leadership to lead a patron to a seat at a ballgame, much less run this great country. Hence the reason that Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield, and the Commissioner weren't invited and Giambi was excused. It's the equivalent of tossing loaves of bread to the masses at the Coliseum, so they won't have time to notice Rome crumbling.