Mixed Couple TV Commercials

11 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Bro you should look back at some of my posts. Especially circa 2013 and 2014. The ones with Oc and La Billz Fan were doozies. Some pretty contentious exchanges to be sure - especially around race in America, the public health system, poverty, social status, education, etc. I can say, with certainty, that if you read some of those bad boys you’ll know without a doubt that I’m no one’s token. Just not my grind. Not how I boogie. 

With that said,  neither 3rd nor Tasker are racists. They’re making observations about the world that incidentally implicate race. I’m of the opinion that we have to be careful in drawing any race observation in the territory of bigotry. If nothing else, it tends to devalue, trivialize, and muddle actual instances of racial bias and bigotry which I’ve argued, very pointedly, does occur in this world. 

There is basically nothing intelligent that can be pontificated about race these days.

Do so are your own peril, literally.....

28 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I, for one, hope he does not supplant Tibs. #34tard does not have the same ring as gatortard.

#34 is actually "dick". Whenever you see me type #34 I'm really typing dick. So, how does dicktard work for you?

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

Bro you should look back at some of my posts. Especially circa 2013 and 2014. The ones with Oc and La Billz Fan were doozies. Some pretty contentious exchanges to be sure - especially around race in America, the public health system, poverty, social status, education, etc. I can say, with certainty, that if you read some of those bad boys you’ll know without a doubt that I’m no one’s token. Just not my grind. Not how I boogie. 

With that said,  neither 3rd nor Tasker are racists. They’re making observations about the world that incidentally implicate race. I’m of the opinion that we have to be careful in drawing any race observation in the territory of bigotry. If nothing else, it tends to devalue, trivialize, and muddle actual instances of racial bias and bigotry which I’ve argued, very pointedly, does occur in this world. 

It's much easier, however, to simply label people who disagree with you as racist; as it saves the trouble of having to actually understand their position, and argue against it's merits.

I mean, look at the examples given:  Laura Southern and Faith Goldy.

They have been charged not only with racism, bit with Nazism.  Someone responded to these charges by asking for evidence of these claims and was met with something along the lines of "I'm not going to debate this with you.  Nazis.  End of story."

The problem is, though, that I'm not familiar enough with either one of them to know if they're racists or not.  I don't have an opinion on the matter.  What I do know, however, is that I'm not going to be shamed into adopting the opinion of someone tossing around baseless charges without presenting evidence.  I'm also not going to take the intellectually backwards approach of assuming the claims to be true, and setting out to make the internet prove me wrong.  Further, if evidence is ever presented it needs to be vetted in order to make sure it's evidence of what the claim maker says it's evidence of.

I also find it to be exceedingly problematic when the concept of culture, and the purpose of the nation state, is conflated with racial animus.  When this happens we can't have important discussions, and I'm growing increasingly concerned with my observation that it seems to be by design.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's much easier, however, to simply label people who disagree with you as racist; as it save the trouble of having to actually understand their position, and argue against it's merits.

I mean, look at the examples given:  Laura Southern and Faith Goldy.

They have been charged not only with racism, bit with Nazism.  Someone responded to these charges by asking for evidence of these claims and was met with something along the lines of "I'm not going to debate this with you.  Nazis.  End of story."

The problem is, though, that I'm not familiar enough with either one of them to know if they're racists or not.  I don't have an opinion on the matter.  What I do know, however, is that I'm not going to be shamed into adopting the opinion of someone tossing around baseless charges without presenting evidence. 

Because you're a racist.  [/Critical Race Theory]

12 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Is #34 black?

:lol: -Ooh look!.. The Trumptard shut-in who just noticed 'race mixin' in 'murica' just realized there's white people who despise the systemic racism endorsed by the far-right!...

Your head would explode if we ever met.

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

:lol: -Ooh look!.. The Trumptard shut-in who just noticed 'race mixin' in 'murica' just realized there's white people who despise the systemic racism endorsed by the far-right!...

Next time you hit Starbucks, try decaf...

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Look #34head, I was facetiously asked if I hated blacks and I responded by asking if you were black. I know it's over your head but the whole question and answer was subtly making fun of you.

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

Look #34head, I was facetiously asked if I hated blacks and I responded by asking if you were black. I know it's over your head but the whole question and answer was subtly making fun of you.

:mellow: R-i-i-i-i-i-g-h-t.... The guy puzzled by this new phenomenon of black guys banging white chicks was making fun of me...

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Because...one store in Seattle doesn't allow loitering?

That wouldn't be the one you work in, by any chance?

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

:mellow: R-i-i-i-i-i-g-h-t.... The guy puzzled by this new phenomenon of black guys banging white chicks was making fun of me...

Listen #34trollhead, DC Tom sarcastically asked me if I hated blacks, mimicking you. I asked if you were black as if my answer depended upon that. I know it's difficult for you to understand but everyone else really is smarter than you and isn't consumed with who is dicking who. Everyone else here took my OP as how I meant it. You were the only one who tried to make it racist and for that we are all laughing at you.

15 minutes ago, #34fan said:

No.

I did get four black kids thrown off the DC Metro last week, though, so that ought to make you feel validated.

31 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Listen #34trollhead, DC Tom sarcastically asked me if I hated blacks, mimicking you. I asked if you were black as if my answer depended upon that. I know it's difficult for you to understand but everyone else really is smarter than you and isn't consumed with who is dicking who. Everyone else here took my OP as how I meant it. You were the only one who tried to make it racist and for that we are all laughing at you.

Stop feeding the !@#$ing troll, you #34.

Meanwhile ........................back at the thread.

in the end.......................it is about the dollars.

Inside the Biracial Advertising Boom - The Daily Beast

FTA:

But why are all these companies jumping on the diversity bandwagon?

The commercials can certainly help to attract consumers who come from biracial families or relationships. They are also increasingly more representative of the world we’re living in today.

But perhaps the biggest selling point is they help to attract the broad base of customers whose values align with those portrayed through these ads—inclusion and diversity, explained Americus Reed, marketing professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School.

“That’s a large group of people that are out there, that have this sense of attitude and belief that would make them say, ‘Hey that’s cool that company X or Y is actually doing this,’” he said in a recent phone interview.

Why there are so many mixed races couples on TV. | Detroit IP TV

detiptv.com/why-there-are-so-many-mixed-races-couples-on-tv/

When did black male and black female couples become obsolete?

I have watched with increasing dismay the landslide of advertising over the last two years that depicts either one of the following:

1. A dark or brown-skinned black male with a white female (with or without children)
  2. A dark or brown-skinned black male with a racially ambiguous or bi-racial female with light skin and curly hair (with or without children)
  3. A bi-racial male and female couple
  4. A dark or brown-skinned black male alone with children who are obviously bi-racial with light skin and curly hair.
  5. Black males who are isolated from other black people and are “best buddies” with white males and females
  6. A black female (often a bi-racial female) with a white male

Now, some might say, “Hey, this is racial progress! It’s about ‘diversity.’”

BUT if that was true why wouldn’t there be as many black male/black female couples as there are mixed and white couples?

Why is it so rare to see a brown or dark-skinned black male with a brown or dark-skinned black female paired in a commercial AS A COUPLE with children who look black?

And why are the vast majority of the “black females” in TV commercials bi-racial?

In fact, it is rare to see a brown or dark-skinned black female on TV at all — unless she is overweight and portrayed as someone who is sexually undesirable.

Diversity 101: Is advertising reflecting or driving social change?

www.hiltonheadmonthly.com › News › Hilton Head

2 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

"Muddling" things with the hope of disguising them is a common and effective political tactic... lengthy bills that would result in the elimination of an expenditure, or the de-facto marginalization of a certain group are common in U.S.legislative process.  In other words, I don't think you need to be too careful in drawing any race observation in the territory of Bigotry. -I've mostly found fire where I've seen smoke in that regard... I've also seen colossal mistakes made by pulling well-deserved punches...

Feel free to choose your own adventure... I've seen enough to be comfortable in my stance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

No way he would get hired there. If Starbucks starts hiring physicists, where will gender studies majors use their degrees? That's just a recipe for more sensitivity training.

56 minutes ago, #34fan said:

"Muddling" things with the hope of disguising them is a common and effective political tactic... lengthy bills that would result in the elimination of an expenditure, or the de-facto marginalization of a certain group are common in U.S.legislative process.  In other words, I don't think you need to be too careful in drawing any race observation in the territory of Bigotry. -I've mostly found fire where I've seen smoke in that regard... I've also seen colossal mistakes made by pulling well-deserved punches...

Feel free to choose your own adventure... I've seen enough to be comfortable in my stance.

Would love to hear more around your first paragraph as that’s my wheelhouse. You made a statement that’s very expansive in scope ... all things considered. 

Adventure chosen, friend. Actually less an adventure and more a roller coaster ride. If that makes little sense to you just know that like Charlie’s departure from the show, some things make more sense when they make less sense. It’s inscrutable, yes. But not any less so than this poor effort at calibration on a subject matter that two people similarly inclined should better be able to align. 

Not a touche. 

Not a zinger. 

Just an observation. 

With that said, I’ve said before and I’ll say again that I respect your passion and what appears to be your zeal and pronounced testicular fortitude. I just think you’re barking up the wrong tree in the execution of it all and by characterizing observations as “racist” ipso facto. For what it’s worth, I’m also smart enough to know that you’re leaning on some testimonials and experiences that none of the rest of us who are typing with one hand and jerking our dicks with a cushioned and lubed 44 ounce Big Gulp cup can possibly understand. And I get that those experiences probably inform your outlook on **** in a way that feels right and meaningful to you. 

So agree to disagree we shall. 

Peace my nigga. 

Edited by Juror#8