The Homeschooling Battle

9 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

I came from a family of 6 kids, 

I went to private school until third grade where the tuition was just too much for my parents to afford, to homeschooling until 9th grade when I was given the option to decide if I wanted to go to public school. 

I was part of a homeschooling group that got together but the other kids were just socially awkward, but there were Boy Scouts and other activities to help with that problem. 

I never liked being homeschooled, I think you need to learn to deal with people, because you will be dealing with people most of your life but I can see the advantages for example

in college I was in class with two homeschooled high school students that were allowed to take some college elective classes like my public speaking class. 

It it all depends if the parent is a good teacher as well and how the student learns.

i went to a decent public and very good high school.

I was able to fit in just fine with music and sports so it went well.

Siblings and other kids I knew who couldn't adjust did some private/Christian stuff up to high school.

4 hours ago, Nanker said:

Read Wolfe’s  “A Man In Full.” Sounds like it’s your story. 

...I googled the book because I was interested and after reading it’s synopsis I find your comment puzzling. I’m white. I live in Atlanta. But that appears to be the only similarities between myself and the protagonist. 

Sounds like it’s a good book but I typically only read history books. 

Edited by The_Dude

17 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

...I googled the book because I was interested and after reading it’s synopsis I find your comment puzzling. I’m white. I live in Atlanta. But that appears to be the only similarities between myself and the protagonist. 

Sounds like it’s a good book but I typically only read history books. 

There's another key role in the story. A self-made man becomes a preacher for Zeus after he encounters the protagonist who goes through a spiritual revival after being in prison. It's convoluted. 

4 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

That's pretty interesting. Is there any type of incentive to use that schools curriculum or attend it post GED through the program?  Homeschooling has come a long way since just the late 90s when I was finishing my tenure in public schools.  My HS was just ranked top 5% in the nation (again).  Neighboring Ottawa Hills is always top 1%, usually top 50ish.

Of the thousands here you're one of the most interesting people on this board and one of the first I'd choose to meet.  You've done a lot of things in your life that seem genuinely interesting and your personality shown here is one of quality substance and integrity that I'd be curious to see the alignment with in physical presence.

You should ask to be his friend on FB.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

how does this work for chemistry?

That's next year for him.

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

That's pretty interesting. Is there any type of incentive to use that schools curriculum or attend it post GED through the program? 

Possibly, but we'll probably be gone from CA in the next 12 months, so it won't matter.

17 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You don't have to defend your mancrush. Actually I appreciate LA and feel he's one of the better posters here. You on the other hand, appear to want to have his baby.

He doesn't have tinder, I see him more as a blackpeoplemeet.com kind of guy