Front Seven projections?

18 hours ago, Doc said:

They’re not paying Murphy $7.5 million/year to be a back up. Much less to Lawson. 

They are in a rotation.  Hughes may not even play on first downs.  Lawson and Murphy are better against the run.  The coaching staff will put the players in a the best position to be successful, if that means Murphy sits first downs and comes in on second and third downs, so be it.  I don't think the "starting" title will matter on the defensive front.  The rotation will give everyone a good amount of snaps.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They will not be playing a 200 lb safety at SAM. I like Neal, but he does not have the size or length to play there. I think he could be a sub package backer, but won't play there in base imo. I also think Kyle definitely starts. 

I think Neal plays lots of LB in the nickel which makes up 63% of most defenses. Phillips will over take Kyle by the end of the year.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just havin some fun. Usually it's just because they might remind you of someone you know. 

I know 14 Nicks and 6 Matts.  They all look wildly different.  I've really never understood why people say someone looks like a name.  

Edited by Buffalo30

I hadn't really focused on who populate the defense in 2018, and this thread is a really good summary.   Good to great discussion.

I read and I get excited.  It isn't going to fall exactly like any of you say, because there will injuries and other surprises.   A guy who isn't even on the team yet could be a significant addition.   

And there's a broader, organizational point:  the Bills run a true team defense - it's about everyone doing his job., and a lot of these guys now have a year under their belts in this system.   We could see the defensive backfield growing during the season as they learned how to flow with one another within the system.   This year, those guys will be teaching the newcomers (there'll be two to three or four across the front seven, and a couple guys working into the backfield.   This defense will be further along in September than it was last season, and the new guys learning will be upgrades physically over the guys they've replace.   

Pretty exciting. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

They are in a rotation.  Hughes may not even play on first downs.  Lawson and Murphy are better against the run.  The coaching staff will put the players in a the best position to be successful, if that means Murphy sits first downs and comes in on second and third downs, so be it.  I don't think the "starting" title will matter on the defensive front.  The rotation will give everyone a good amount of snaps.

True they'll be in a rotation, but technically someone has to start.  Maybe the question should be "where will these guys play?"  Hughes has been at RDE all along so you figure he stays there.  Lawson played RDE in college but the Bills put him at LDE last year, so that likely continues as well.  But where do you put Murphy?  He played RDE for the Redskins from what I can see.  Do you start him at RDE and have Hughes rotate?  Do you start him at LDE and let Lawson rotate?  Or do you let them start and have him rotate?

Same goes for DT.  Star will play 1-tech and Kyle will play 3-tech.  Both presumably will start.  Now do you play Phillips at 1-tech and some suggest, or 3-tech, hoping he's the next Kyle? 

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Milano started the final 5 games at WLB last season.  Maybe that was by necessity, but given that they signed/drafted no one to compete with him, I think they like him a lot and I'm sure he's pencilled-in as the starter there again, and I'm fine with that and excited to see what he can do this year.  I've heard he's a hard worker so I'm sure that he hit the weight room hard over the off-season and added strength, if not weight, to the 223# frame he played at last year.  And having his rookie season behind him/a year to learn the system will help a lot as well.  I see him as a 3-down player with Edmunds, and LorAx as being a 2-down player at best. That still doesn't mean they won't look to add players to the LB corps (the DL and secondary are set, IMHO), but I doubt you're going to find someone now to seriously challenge any of them. 

I really like Milano, the one thing I would say is keep an eye on Julian Stanford. I was against his signing initially, but this guy is a ridiculous athlete and will push Milano for playing time. IMO Stanford could play Will or Mike, and might be passable at SAM as well. I think he is going to push for playing time. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I really like Milano, the one thing I would say is keep an eye on Julian Stanford. I was against his signing initially, but this guy is a ridiculous athlete and will push Milano for playing time. IMO Stanford could play Will or Mike, and might be passable at SAM as well. I think he is going to push for playing time. 

I don't know much about Stanford, but he looks like a guy who has bounced-around a lot.  I guess they could get something out of him but I'm not expecting much until proven otherwise.

4 hours ago, thurst44 said:

LBs are the weakest part of the defense, but if Edmunds has a quick NFL learning curve, Lorax plays like he did in 2016 and playoff game (admittedly a big "if" at 35), Milano continues to improve, Humber is ok as a 4th, they might not be a liability. I'd still love them to pick up another player and there's a few decent LBs out there.

Yeah I agree. In another thread I said a lot of has to go right for them to be effective. I think you're spot on with picking up another lb. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I don't know much about Stanford, but he looks like a guy who has bounced-around a lot.  I guess they could get something out of him but I'm not expecting much until proven otherwise.

Humber was signed right? 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

True they'll be in a rotation, but technically someone has to start.  Maybe the question should be "where will these guys play?"  Hughes has been at RDE all along so you figure he stays there.  Lawson played RDE in college but the Bills put him at LDE last year, so that likely continues as well.  But where do you put Murphy?  He played RDE for the Redskins from what I can see.  Do you start him at RDE and have Hughes rotate?  Do you start him at LDE and let Lawson rotate?  Or do you let them start and have him rotate?

Same goes for DT.  Star will play 1-tech and Kyle will play 3-tech.  Both presumably will start.  Now do you play Phillips at 1-tech and some suggest, or 3-tech, hoping he's the next Kyle? 

I'd think we will see a lot of Lawson on 1st down since he's better against the run and a lot more of Hughes in obvious passing situations.  We have the depth, play to the players strengths.  I think Murphy can play on both sides and I see Phillips being able to play both spots in the middle as well.  

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Milano started the final 5 games at WLB last season.  Maybe that was by necessity, but given that they signed/drafted no one to compete with him, I think they like him a lot and I'm sure he's pencilled-in as the starter there again, and I'm fine with that and excited to see what he can do this year.  I've heard he's a hard worker so I'm sure that he hit the weight room hard over the off-season and added strength, if not weight, to the 223# frame he played at last year.  And having his rookie season behind him/a year to learn the system will help a lot as well.  I see him as a 3-down player with Edmunds, and LorAx as being a 2-down player at best. That still doesn't mean they won't look to add players to the LB corps (the DL and secondary are set, IMHO), but I doubt you're going to find someone now to seriously challenge any of them. 

fair take, Doc

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'd think we will see a lot of Lawson on 1st down since he's better against the run and a lot more of Hughes in obvious passing situations.  We have the depth, play to the players strengths.  I think Murphy can play on both sides and I see Phillips being able to play both spots in the middle as well.  

yes

On May 4, 2018 at 5:44 PM, jr1 said:

Hughes, Phillips, Williams, Shaq

Alexander, Edmunds, Milano

I think Star's 50 million probably puts him on the field.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I think Adolphus is what he's shown, which is very little. 

He was in the full rotation last year.  I'm not saying he's great, but the coaching staff saw something in him.