Gas Prices Are Rising

by Ed Driscoll permalink.gif

ANALYSIS: TRUE. Democrats’ Sudden Concern For Gas Prices Is A Dodge To Hide Their Anti-Wallet Policies.

Unfortunately for the left, it’s not hard to see what the party line was on gas prices back in the day. In 2008, before becoming Barack Obama’s Energy Secretary, Steven Chu said, “we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe,” which at the time was between $7 and $9 per gallon. The Obama Administration made pursuing high energy prices  their prime directive.

Flashbacks:

● Obama goes full YOLO: Proposes raising gas prices in final budget.

● “In 2008, then-Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar — now the secretary of the Department of the Interior in charge of the leasing of federal oil lands — refused to vote for any new offshore drilling. In a Senate exchange with Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Salazar objected to allowing any drilling on America’s outer continental shelf — even if gas prices reached $10 a gallon. We can now see why the president appointed Salazar, inasmuch as Obama recently promised the Brazilians that he would be eager to buy their newfound offshore oil — while prohibiting similar such exploration here at home.”

● NBC, the Washington Post, and the New York Times in lockstep call for higher gas taxes.

● 2008 L.A. Times headline: “The joy of $8 gas.”

● 2012 CNN headline: “Rising gas prices aren’t as bad as you think.”

● Reid draws line against Keystone.

Exit quote: “Under my plan, energy costs will necessarily skyrocket…”

?

Edited by B-Man

On 5/25/2018 at 1:24 PM, Koko78 said:

So we've officially gone from the collusion narrative to the corruption narrative now? I can't wait for the next narrative after corruption goes the way of collusion.

Oh there working on it behind the scenes right now I have no doubt. 

It’ll be the conspiracy of collusion to create a corrupt conservative cabal circumnavigating Constitutional concerns of career commentators. 

Ever notice how the Left always falsely accuse Republicans of what they themselves are actually doing? Their projections are astounding. 

On 5/25/2018 at 11:37 AM, Wacka said:

(Rest of Tib's rantings deleted)

I remember paying almost $5. 00 wh n I lived in California.

CA regular unleaded is around $3.75/gallon right now, and that is after the Dem-controlled state just raised it another 12 cents a gallon to pay for infrastructure repairs.

I suspect this is where Tibs explains that Trump made the CA Dems increase the price of gas against their will.

On 5/1/2018 at 3:28 PM, Gugny said:

But if I'm an electric/hybrid car owner, I'm not down with big brother monitoring my mileage or taxing me based upon said mileage.  People buying those cars are already spending more money than similar model gasoline-powered vehicles; and they're helping the environment.

Common misconception here regarding electric cars. 64% of the electricity used to power those cars in the USA is generated by fossil fuels (natural gas 32% and coal 30%).

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.php?page=electricity_in_the_united_states

electricity-generation-by-major-energy-s

A lot of people buying and flouting their use of electric cars get to virtue signal their commitment to environmentalism while ironically supporting fracking and coal mining.

The pollution is simply moved upstream in the supply chain.

Ironically the same people using such electric vehicles will often be among the first to condemn burning fossil fuels, fracking and the newer deregulation on coal mining, all the while increasing demand for those very things.

Edited by RocCityRoller

Oh no, Trump would never price gouge the American people. Never! Who would have ever thought? 

Most corrupt administration ever! 

Americans Will Pay a High Price to Save Coal

The Trump administration needs to show the math.

By 
The Editors

June 3, 2018, 2:00 PM ED
1400x-1.jpg

Dirty and expensive.

Photographer: Ty Wright/Bloomberg

An interesting question raised by President Donald Trump’s misguided order to prop up uneconomical coal and nuclear power plants in the name of national security is: How much is this going to cost?

Not in climate terms, although here the indirect costs could be greatest in the long run. And not in terms of public health, although air pollution from a single coal plant causes hundreds of asthma attacks and dozens of premature deaths every year.

Setting those crucial matters aside, what will it cost in dollars and cents spent on electricity in the U.S.? That's something the Trump administration has neglected to estimate. It should. U.S. coal plants have been closing fast — more than half of them since 2010 — because they have trouble competing with cheaper natural-gas power plants. Keeping these inefficient plants open is going to put utility customers out of pocket.

Could the cost in pollution, premature deaths from particulate emissions, and higher utility bills conceivably be worth it? In his order Friday, Trump said plant closures threaten the nation’s energy mix and the “resilience” of the grid. This, in turn, threatens national security, in part because U.S. Defense Department installations are almost entirely dependent on the commercial power grid, according to an earlier administration memo obtained by Bloomberg News. Theoretically, the grid needs coal to ensure continuous energy in the event natural gas, hydro power, solar and wind can’t do the job.

This not a real problem, however, as the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission more or less ruled several months ago when it turned down Energy Secretary Rick Perry’s last attempt to prop up coal by rewarding it for its “resilience.” Deregulated power markets in the U.S. already assure a dependable fuel supply by matching prices to demand. FERC might be asked to cooperate again in raising rates to implement this new plan; if so, it should refuse again.

The chief beneficiaries of Trump’s plan would be coal-plant operators and their suppliers, a group that includes some of the president’s top supporters. The losses for everybody else — in higher emissions of carbon, additional premature deaths, and higher outlays on electricity — would be far greater. Dirty energy at higher cost: That’s some deal.

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Oh no, Trump would never price gouge the American people. Never! Who would have ever thought? 

Most corrupt administration ever! 

Lol, the cited source for that asthma stat takes you to "BeyondCoal.com" who cited it from the reputable journal of "EarthJustice.org" who pulled it out of their ass.

Nice.  

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Lol, the cited source for that asthma stat takes you to "BeyondCoal.com" who cited it from the reputable journal of "EarthJustice.org" who pulled it out of their ass.

Nice.  

Welcome to the wonderful world of gatorman.

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of gatorman.

Actually, he sounds like he is from Tom World. Obfuscating to muddy the waters on the main point. You are fine with Trump doing this, and so is he. Eating out of the same toilet you are 

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It almost makes me wonder where "Mother Nature" falls in the intersectionality hierarchy.

You know some !@#$ is going to make that case at some point.

I know where you fell from, right out of someone's ass 

Just now, Tiberius said:

Actually, he sounds like he is from Tom World. Obfuscating to muddy the waters on the main point. You are fine with Trump doing this, and so is he. Eating out of the same toilet you are 

I read your article and independently vetted a claim that they made in the THIRD sentence. And found it to be bull ****.  I'm sure you just took the whole thing on face value.  Which is why it was important to demonstrate the dishonesty/ignorance of the author/authors.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

I read your article and independently vetted a claim that they made in the THIRD sentence. And found it to be bull ****.  I'm sure you just took the whole thing on face value.  Which is why it was important to demonstrate the dishonesty/ignorance of the author/authors.

?

6 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Nice.  

Does that count as 'peer review'?

It's summer time and gas prices are going up.

WOW, what a shock.

But, of course, it's the President's fault that summer is here now.

Here in the city, there hasn't been a time in my life when gas prices have ever went down in the summer.

Edited by njbuff