Cam Newton scouting report compares to Josh Allen

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Wentz was on a perennial powerhouse. 

2011 (before Wentz was on the team) they were 14-1 and won the championship

2012 (Wentz had 16 passing attempts this year) they went 14-1 and won the championship

2013 (Wentz had 30 passing attempts this year) they went 15-0 and won the championship

2014 (Wentz's first full year as a starter) they went 15-1 and won the championship

2015 (Wentz's final year) they went 13-2 and won the championship

Wyoming was 2-10 the year before Allen started for a year.

Allen was 16-9 as a starter the past 2 seasons at Wyoming. This may not seem impressive but the Wyoming program is generally awful. In the past 15 seasons, only 1 other Wyoming team reached 8 wins (2011). And the teams that predated won 4,5,4 and 2 games in each of their seasons. That’s right, before Allen started the team won 2 games in 2015. When Allen did not play in 2017, Wyoming lost both games. Allen was the Wyoming team in 2017 and they were awful without him. So I would say Allen elevated his team as far as winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Like one man said "I want Winners". I agree with that. I dont think its a ll or nothing argument. But I do think it is telling about a guy especially a QB. It means something to know how to win, be used to winning, to hate losing. Allen by all accounts has been on mediocre teams in JC and College. Even in High School he did not dominate. Especially telling was in his Sr year the best team they played beat them twice. Both times he was awful. Like less than 100yd awful. He has thus far always been bad against good competition. 

John Elway's teams had losing records when he was there. 20-23 as a starter. Never went to a bowl game. He was arguably the best QB prospect of all time, one of the best QBs of all time, a SB winner and a Hall of Famer. 

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See, this is the thing that makes me believe that Allen really was their #1 choice all along and they drafted him for legit football reasons.

They made exactly the same call between Edmunds and Vander Esch - they took the less polished guy with gaps in his game but sky high athletic traits and intelligence.

And then as pointed out, there are parallels between two guys Beane had a hand in drafting (Newton and Kuechly) and two guys he just drafted (Allen and Edmunds)

Don't give in to paranoia:P.  This is correct.

...."process ability" would be the primary concern with the speed and complexity of the game at this level.....you get the "luxury" of FIVE seconds to process pre-snap reads, progressions, etc......primary reason why more fail than succeed......physicality and "pretty spirals" come later IMO......

27 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Like one man said "I want Winners". I agree with that. I dont think its a ll or nothing argument. But I do think it is telling about a guy especially a QB. It means something to know how to win, be used to winning, to hate losing. Allen by all accounts has been on mediocre teams in JC and College. Even in High School he did not dominate. Especially telling was in his Sr year the best team they played beat them twice. Both times he was awful. Like less than 100yd awful. He has thus far always been bad against good competition. 

How would you describe the Rosen-era UCLA teams?  

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Itll sound crazy at first but.... Andrew luck?

Prototype build, high IQ, sub-60% career completion percentage, big arm, mobile but not a big time runner... obviously very different pedigrees, but... would that be a better current comp for Allen’s upside (ignoring the shoulder injury)

Better comparison might be John Elway, who played for a Stanford program that was often overmatched, unlike the modern Stanford teams.

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Better comparison might be John Elway, who played for a Stanford program that was often overmatched, unlike the modern Stanford teams.

Elway was a common one for luck and I’ve seen it a few times for allen (obviously best case, but again just looking at qualities and not results)

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

but there was no debate about Elway's talent whatsoever. Everyone knew he was going to be the #1 overall pick. Everyone expected him to be a stud. I rarely remember any negative about Elway as a prospect. As I said up top, he was probably the top QB prospect of all time.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

but there was no debate about Elway's talent whatsoever. Everyone knew he was going to be the #1 overall pick. Everyone expected him to be a stud. I rarely remember any negative about Elway as a prospect. As I said up top, he was probably the top QB prospect of all time.

Agreed.  I was not suggesting that Allen was at the same level as a prospect. But it’s an interesting comparison.  There was not much respect for Stanford’s program back then.  Were they still called the Indians??

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agreed.  I was not suggesting that Allen was at the same level as a prospect. But it’s an interesting comparison.  There was not much respect for Stanford’s program back then.  Were they still called the Indians??

Yep. They were pretty bad. He was the QB in the famous Stanford band game. 

I decided to give him a chance as soon as he said in his conference call on draft night that he chose Bar Bill to get wings on his predraft visit. +1 on decision making not going cliche with the anchor bar. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

If he has the skills of Cam Newton, but the personality and intelligence of even a run-of-the-mill NFL QB, he should be pretty !@#$ing good.

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I decided to give him a chance as soon as he said in his conference call on draft night that he chose Bar Bill to get wings on his predraft visit. +1 on decision making not going cliche with the anchor bar. 

I know this is a side-track, but as a Buffalonian in LA, I can't grasp why people that visit me all rush to In-N-Out Burger, its just another decent burger joint in the area. The Anchor Bar is kinda the same thing. A photo op for your social media page.

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....since everyone seems to be playing the ceiling/floor game, I'll play.

Ceiling- Cam or Ben

Floor - Gabbert

I think playing that game should be discouraged. 

Edited by OJABBA

12 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

I know this is a side-track, but as a Buffalonian in LA, I can't grasp why people that visit me all rush to In-N-Out Burger, its just another decent burger joint in the area. The Anchor Bar is kinda the same thing. A photo op for your social media page.

Blasphemer!!

In-n-out is awesome, and most people seem to think so considering I have never seen any restaurant of any kind in any place where there is a line at all times, and the drive thru often has 20-40 cars in line. All day.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Blasphemer!!

In-n-out is awesome, and most people seem to think so considering I have never seen any restaurant of any kind in any place where there is a line at all times, and the drive thru often has 20-40 cars in line. All day.

I feel like that about chick-Fil-a. People are like religiously into it. I’m all “meh”

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Blasphemer!!

It's good. They are a good company. But it's not "we HAVE to go to In-N-Out when we get to LA"-good. It's just not that special. There are burger joints every 4th block (not chains), that are just as good or better. It's called "falling for the hype" and "let's impress our friends back home".

And the long line just makes it MORE silly.

PINKS hot dogs has a massive line too, and it's good, but not any better than something you can get in your own hometown. It's a half hour wait (or more) for a good hot dog...."Yay!"

Edited by OJABBA