Well, this awful economy in Buffalo still found

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck. I myself would also like to move back to B-Lo from SoFlo but my family lives down here now. It would be nice to wake up with The Buffalo News paper instead of the crappy Herald. It would also be sweet to be a season ticket holder in the city I love most. I respect your courage. Good luck with shoveling snow!

I was in Buffalo this weekend for an interview at Geico. I applied last week, got a call the next day, so decided to fly home this weekend (I just landed back in WPB an hour ago). Anyway, had an hour long interview on Saturday morning. Then came back and had a THREE hour interview today. And right on the spot they offered me the job (as an underwriter). It's not in my field of Marketing, but they pay is surprisingly good, I get a 10% discount on my Car insurance, and the health and dental benefits start the FIRST day you start to work.  Anyway, just a bit excited as it just so happens the day I start and the day I leave Florida are 4 days apart (including a weekend). I will miss two days of work during the entire move.

You can send your congrats in the form of cash..

<_<:):w00t:

274728[/snapback]

Great news for you if that's where you want to be.

There's one thing that kind of sucks though....

All the WNY residents looking for decent jobs have gotten all exicted about Geico coming in and creating liveable wage positions.....and then they go and hire from out of state!!!! That's one less job for a WNYer who's been sticking it out in that region their whole life. I'd be a little pissed off if I lived there, was trying to secure a job with Geico, and found that a lot of their hiring was done using out of area candidates. Weren't there any applicants already living there who qualified? (just playing devil's advocate)

On the other hand - if I'm doing the hiring for Geico, I might want some returning refugees who have a real desire to live there, be part of the community, and who can bring different points of view and experiences from beyond the boundries of the Niagara Frontier.

Longtime Buffalonians have a tendency to be myopic about their familiar way of life. They often migrate down her (south) and other places, and carry on to their new southern neighbors about how "it was done back in Buff-lo".

Nobody cares. The prevailing response is "If everything is so great, what are you doing here?"

Hope it works out well for you. I'd urge you and anyone else who's returning and has seen "the other side", to think about getting involved in local politics. Time to incorporate some fresh ideas - let the locals know there is a better way.

Great news for you if that's where you want to be.

There's one thing that kind of sucks though....

All the WNY residents looking for decent jobs have gotten all exicted about Geico coming in and creating liveable wage positions.....and then they go and hire from out of state!!!! That's one less job for a WNYer who's been sticking it out in that region their whole life. I'd be a little pissed off if I lived there, was trying to secure a job with Geico, and found that a lot of their hiring was done using out of area candidates. Weren't there any applicants already living there who qualified? (just playing devil's advocate)

On the other hand - if I'm doing the hiring for Geico, I might want some returning refugees who have a real desire to live there, be part of the community, and who can bring different points of view and experiences from beyond the boundries of the Niagara Frontier.

Longtime Buffalonians have a tendency to be myopic about their familiar way of life. They often migrate down her (south) and other places, and carry on to their new southern neighbors about how "it was done back in Buff-lo". 

Nobody cares.  The prevailing response is "If everything is so great, what are you doing here?"

Hope it works out well for you. I'd urge you and anyone else who's returning and has seen "the other side",  to think about getting involved in local politics. Time to incorporate some fresh ideas - let the locals know there is a better way.

275301[/snapback]

No offense but I still have family in the area as well as friends. I asked about people working there, if it is helping etc... The general reasoning was that while they are living wages (25k+) a lot of folks seem to rather be unemployed then start over again. If the local workforce is unwillinging to accept the positions available then Geico as a business has no alternative but to import labor. Call center jobs are not deemed "fulfilling" by a lot of folks and is beneath them. The number of these types of jobs going over seas is not always because it is cheaper but is also neccessary to actually find people willing to work in the positions.

So wait....

Your leaving Florida to come to Buffalo?

274955[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing. That's the first time I have ever heard of anyone leaving that old folks retirement state in Florida and coming back up north to a city where the government is really !@#$ED UP BAD.

way to go. one word of advice from one who moved back a couple years ago, and only lasted a year.....you can never go home again, so get that notion out of your head. Don't look for things to be the same from when you were there before. Start fresh and you will probably enjoy your renaissance a whole lot more than me and mine did. Good Luck and congrats!!!!

I was in Buffalo this weekend for an interview at Geico. I applied last week, got a call the next day, so decided to fly home this weekend (I just landed back in WPB an hour ago). Anyway, had an hour long interview on Saturday morning. Then came back and had a THREE hour interview today. And right on the spot they offered me the job (as an underwriter). It's not in my field of Marketing, but they pay is surprisingly good, I get a 10% discount on my Car insurance, and the health and dental benefits start the FIRST day you start to work.  Anyway, just a bit excited as it just so happens the day I start and the day I leave Florida are 4 days apart (including a weekend). I will miss two days of work during the entire move.

You can send your congrats in the form of cash..

<_<:):w00t:

274728[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing.  That's the first time I have ever heard of anyone leaving that old folks retirement state in Florida and coming back up north to a city where the government is really !@#$ED UP BAD.

275334[/snapback]

Though rare, it has been done. My buddy's sister moved to FL for a few years after college. She moved back to Rochester and has been a Bills season-ticketholder for 15+ years. She even managed to crash a Jim Kelly post-game party once.

Her profession? She's a high-school teacher. Subject? [Wait for it, wait for it] Spanish!

I guess you need to immerse yourself in it first. <_<

Dude whereabouts in WPB do you live??

I visited my Grandma down there for like 3 months a couple years ago...in Lake Worth

Off of Lakeworth RD by Jog rd...

haha im looking on mapquest now and remember all of those old people driving so slow down there