Is this a smokescreen for Nugent???

From the Donahoe talk....

Bryan Ault (Alexandria, VA): As fans, we do not have a lot of confidence in Rian Lindell's distance and we think he puts additional pressure on the offense to get closer late in close games. How do you intend to address the kicking situation in the off-season? Thanks for your time.

TD: Our philosophy as an organization is to always try to improve the team in all areas. Sometimes, however, you should watch what you wish for. Rian Lindell improved as much as any player on our team last year compared to the 2003 season. He ended the year near the top of most statistical categories in the NFL. For example, in 2003 he was 17-of-24 kicking field goals for a total of 75 points. In 2004, he was 24-of-28 on his field goals for 117 points. He also lost two long field goals last year when we called timeout prior to the kicks which he made. Rian is improving and has done a very good job under the direction of Bobby April. We expect him to take another step this season as our kicker.

For example, in 2003 he was 17-of-24 kicking field goals for a total of 75 points. In 2004, he was 24-of-28 on his field goals for 117 points.

ARGH....this means nothing when the coach does not have the confidence to put him out there to make a 40 yard kick... I dont care how perfect you are from 20 yards out, i want a kicker who can be counted on to make a 50 yarder once in a while

ARGH....this means nothing when the coach does not have the confidence to put him out there to make a 40 yard kick... I dont care how perfect you are from 20 yards out, i want a kicker who can be counted on to make a 50 yarder once in a while

274491[/snapback]

he may be perfect from 20....but he sure as hell isn't perfect from 28.

this is odd...with all of the fans up in arms over lindell, you'd think they could "force donahoe's hand" to release him just like they did in getting bledsoe out of here.

right VAbills? :w00t:

I liked his candor in the article, especially regarding Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings.

"His agent told us at the time they were looking for a double-digit signing bonus which we were not going to do in training camp, during the season or after the season."

Jennings got $12,000,000.00 from the Niners.

Exactly.

I know TD doesn't take us as idiots, so he should just come out and say, "We know Lindell did not kick that great for us last year, but there are not many options out there as far as kickers go, so we will give Lindell another shot next year."

274570[/snapback]

Why? Would that make you feel better?

Calling out players in the media is a pretty quick way to make sure free agents don't sign with you.

But as long as the fans feel better...

"His agent told us at the time they were looking for a double-digit signing bonus which we were not going to do in training camp, during the season or after the season."

I would've chipped in $50 to keep Pat or Jonas here... They were only asking for $99 signing bonus at most, we should've kept 'em! :(

:w00t:

CW

Freakin' nugent bukake over here...

NOBODY KNOWS IF HE"LL BE ANYTHING IN THE NFL

he has a leg. he has made some FGs. He has MISSED some FGs. He's not going to enter the league and be adam vinatieri for god's sake.

i wouldn't hold your breath.

Freakin' nugent bukake over here...

NOBODY KNOWS IF HE"LL BE ANYTHING IN THE NFL

he has a leg. he has made some FGs. He has MISSED some FGs. He's not going to enter the league and be adam vinatieri for god's sake.

i wouldn't hold your breath.

274596[/snapback]

Everyone's just caught a bad case of cat scratch fever.

Everyone's just caught a bad case of cat scratch fever.

274620[/snapback]

Which is almost reason enough to draft the guy. Nothing better than a little metal when they call for a field goal kicker (though I'd prefer "Stranglehold").

Rian Lindell's name alone screams "wussy American Idol" contestant. He should have the pillow biting Clay Aiken singing his entrance music.

Which is almost reason enough to draft the guy.  Nothing better than a little metal when they call for a field goal kicker (though I'd prefer "Stranglehold"). 

Rian Lindell's name alone screams "wussy American Idol" contestant.  He should have the pillow biting Clay Aiken singing his entrance music.

274623[/snapback]

Oh, I am with you on all of the above, Darin (especially "Stranglehold").

Seacrest out.

It's not.  In fact, he comes right out and says we're gonna draft o-linemen.  As much as I'd love to draft a stud kicker like Nugent, the fact is that pick is a luxury we don't have.  A stud guard, center or tackle is simply a MUCH better value in Round 2.

274552[/snapback]

Amen! Finally some rationale regarding team needs!!!!!

274491[/snapback]

I think the coaches are also influenced about these positives in Nugent's game:

1. Part of the outstanding job the ST did in coverage was Lindell's kickoffs. Folks tend to measure kickers by their FG % and distance, but the great results produced by the kick coverage team is a testimony that in the difficult winds of the Ralph, Lindell kicked it where he was supposed to kick-off to and more importantly with the appropriate hang time in the tricky wins for the Kick coverage teams to make the tackle.

Folks may think this is a simple task of just lining up and kicking i as far as you can ad good kickoffs are measured by touchbacks. However, since they moved the kickoff line back from the 40, unless you are Janakowski or get lucky on a squib kick touchbacks are not the norm for most kickers.

If one paid attention to the Bills kickoff game last year you could see we invested pretty heavily in directional kickoffs with Lindell varying not only the side of the field he kicked to but also whether he kicked it deep with hang time or more or less squibbed the kick. The proof is in the pudding as from the stats I have seen the Bills not only did not give up any long returns but were one of the best teams in the league when it came to opponent drivestart field position.

It will probably take a rookie (even one good at kickoffs a while to master this skill and our coverage game may suffer.

2. Lindell was only called upon to do onside kicks a couple of times, but one to start the half of one of our games was a beaut as Lindell not only disguised our intent perfectly and the return team was backpedaling to set up blocks rather than attacking the onside kick, but he got the ball off nicely, recovered it himself after it went the requisite 10 yards and did this kick with the pace necessary that it traveled the 10 yards before any Bill even hit an opponent.

I was and am still pissed at Lindell for missing the 28 yard chip shot but I don't let my anger at this blind me to the fact Lindell did some good and important things for this team last year.

i wish TD would have had the balls to take that question head on and address why the bills showed no faith in him beyond 40 yards...........

274889[/snapback]

And this will win more games because . . . ?

According to this board, the secret to winning the Super Bowl is for GMs and Coaches to publicly question the ability of their players. The lack of confidence and public humiliation will create a poisionous environment that will drive players to perform better and attract the best Free Agents. This practice works well in every work environment.

If that doesn't work maybe the Bills can have a fanfest whereby players are pelted with tomatoes and the coaches beat them with sticks.

I smell Super Bowl.

And this will win more games because . . . ?

According to this board, the secret to winning the Super Bowl is for GMs and Coaches to publicly question the ability of their players.  The lack of confidence and public humiliation will create a poisionous environment that will drive players to perform better and attract the best Free Agents. This practice works well in every work environment. 

If that doesn't work maybe the Bills can have a fanfest whereby players are pelted with tomatoes and the coaches beat them with sticks. 

I smell Super Bowl.

274925[/snapback]

so the next time mularky yells at a player are you going to throw a fit because he's not being handled with kid gloves??

these are big boys and if they screw up (as lindell did many times last year) they deserve to hear it.........from the fans, from the coach, from the GM, from the water boy for all i care..........TD ducked that question with worthless stats that don't get to the heart of the issue -- why didn't the coaches have faith in him from beyond 40 yards? he knows that the problem the fans have with lindell, and he ignored it.........

so the next time mularky yells at a player are you going to throw a fit because he's not being handled with kid gloves??

these are big boys and if they screw up (as lindell did many times last year) they deserve to hear it.........from the fans, from the coach, from the GM, from the water boy for all i care..........TD ducked that question with worthless stats that don't get to the heart of the issue -- why didn't the coaches have faith in him from beyond 40 yards? he knows that the problem the fans have with lindell, and he ignored it.........

274927[/snapback]

You can't be serious. Again, what would it accomplish for TD to slam Lindell who in all liklihood will remain the Bills kicker? How does making you feel better help the Bills win games?