(OT) starwars episode III

ch19079

Interesting side note: Kershner originally didn't want to direct the movie and had to be convinced by Lucas.

275414[/snapback]

I thought I remembered reading that the actors didn't care much for Kershner either.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even WORSE, and AJ knows this irks me somewhat, is the fact that he changed the musical performance (such as it was) by Sy Snoodles band into the monstrosity on the DVD. And even worse is the deletion of Sebastian Shaw from the spirit image at the end of ROTJ, having been replaced by Hadyen. I reserve the right to retract this last bit after viewing the final film.... <_<

For me, the greatest part of SW was the sequence in ROTJ with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. I mean, to have the most evil man in the universe give up his life for his son...

Correction - the second most evil man. Vader's an evil bastard (as will be seen in ROTS) but nowhere near the level of Palpatine.

But I agree, the Vader, Luke, Emperor scenes in ROTJ are among the best in the saga,

Even WORSE, and AJ knows this irks me somewhat, is the fact that he changed the musical performance (such as it was) by Sy Snoodles band into the monstrosity on the DVD. And even worse is the deletion of Sebastian Shaw from the spirit image at the end of ROTJ, having been replaced by Hadyen. I reserve the right to retract this last bit after viewing the final film.... :)

275440[/snapback]

I know, you can mess with Jabba and Han......you can change the death star explosion.....you can even (potentially) mess with the spirit image of Anakin......but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LEAVE SY SNOODLES ALONE, GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is NOTHING sacred anymore???????? <_<

I disagree that there is nothing going on under the surface of Ep.I........there is a TON going on, actually. The entire point of that film - in terms of 'under the surface' - is to begin putting the pieces in place for what will happen in Ep. III. I think what people fail to do is keep the OT in mind with regard to the prequels. If you think in terms of the landscape during the time of Ep. IV, the prequels make much more sense. They also become much more interesting. Palpatine is the puppet master, and he's active from Ep.I all the way up through to where he meets his destiny in ROTJ.

275428[/snapback]

That's true BUT I think the 'under the surface' stuff that Kurtz is referring to (it's a great interview, BTW) is all the personal motivations for the characters. Other than Palpatine, no one really seems to have a vested interest in what they're doing. The love story from Episode II was pretty stilted.

That's true BUT I think the 'under the surface' stuff that Kurtz is referring to (it's a great interview, BTW) is all the personal motivations for the characters.  Other than Palpatine, no one really seems to have a vested interest in what they're doing.  The love story from Episode II was pretty stilted.

275507[/snapback]

I agree.....from a character perspective it's definitely lacking. I just remember a few of my friends sort of abandoning their love of SW after ep.I and II, but then realizing they were so caught up in dissing Jar Jar that they didn't even bother to THINK about the story. They look at the whole thing with the trade federation as just a lousy plot, when they should be thinking about how Palpatine devised that whole set up in order to obtain power. There is a ton of underlying structure to the prequels if people would just take the time to look.

I agree.....from a character perspective it's definitely lacking. I just remember a few of my friends sort of abandoning their love of SW after ep.I and II, but then realizing they were so caught up in dissing Jar Jar that they didn't even bother to THINK about the story. They look at the whole thing with the trade federation as just a lousy plot, when they should be thinking about how Palpatine devised that whole set up in order to obtain power. There is a ton of underlying structure to the prequels if people would just take the time to look.

275576[/snapback]

Group me in with your friends. I love the Original Trilogy (no special editions, thank you) but the prequels have really wrecked my excitement about Star Wars in general.

Good point about Palpatine. He's probably the only character in the prequels that I like because he's the only one with a real personality. Pretty much every scene with our supposed heroes (who I feel next to nothing for) is just exposition so that we can get to the next plot point. They might as well have been the Coneheads:

"We must save the people of Naboo."

"I concur."

I can't even describe Queen Amidala. Anakin is supposed to be a hero but hasn't actually done anything heroic yet.

Somehow Chewbacca has more personality than every character in the prequels despite the fact that we have no idea what he's ever saying.

Somehow Chewbacca has more personality than every character in the prequels despite the fact that we have no idea what he's ever saying.

275636[/snapback]

lol.....sad, but true.......I'm not trying to defend the prequels, just point out that there is more to them than some people give them credit for. But I don't think anyone will ever mistake them for the OT, regardless of how good ep.III turns out to be.

Correction - the second most evil man.  Vader's an evil bastard (as will be seen in ROTS) but nowhere near the level of Palpatine.

Semantics. It's like saying Goeth is less evil than Hitler. And in the original trilogy, Vader was much more visible and thus visibly evil than the Emperor. Last but not least, if what I've heard of ROTS is true, IMO Vader is FAR more evil than the Emperor.

Semantics.  It's like saying Goeth is less evil than Hitler.  And in the original trilogy, Vader was much more visible and thus visibly evil than the Emperor.  Last but not least, if what I've heard of ROTS is true, IMO Vader is FAR more evil than the Emperor.

If you're going purely by body count, then sure, Vader's going to come out ahead since Palpatine hardly ever has to kill someone with his own two hands. In fact, the only people we'll really see him directly kill in the whole saga are Mace Windu and those three other Jedi in ROTS.

That said, I still say the Emperor is far more evil because nearly every evil thing that happens during the span of the entire saga can be traced back to him. He's orchestrated it all.

Suffice it to say, though, they both pretty damn evil as far as evil goes.

I know, you can mess with Jabba and Han......you can change the death star explosion.....you can even (potentially) mess with the spirit image of Anakin......but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LEAVE SY SNOODLES ALONE, GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Is NOTHING sacred anymore???????? :rolleyes:

275461[/snapback]

But he made it ten times worse was my point....

ASS! ;);)

If you're going purely by body count, then sure, Vader's going to come out ahead since Palpatine hardly ever has to kill someone with his own two hands.  In fact, the only people we'll really see him directly kill in the whole saga are Mace Windu and those three other Jedi in ROTS.

Great, thanks for ruining that!

Just kidding. Judging by the reaction of Windu and the other Jedis in that scene, as well as the noise Palpatine makes, it appears that Palpatine turns into some kind of monster with the resulting conclusion that he kills them all. At least that's what it seems (him turning into a monster) like to me.

I haven't thought about the original trilogy in some time, but this thread makes me want to raise some questions that have been bugging me:

-since Anakin built 3PO, how come they never acknowledge each other in the original trilogy? Was it just Lucas retroactively trying to create a tie-in, did 3PO not know Vader was Anakin, or did he know and wanted to have nothing at all to do with him?

-why didn't Padme change Luke's last name?

-why wasn't Ben trying to keep in close contact with Luke, i.e. trying to train him earlier on?

Great, thanks for ruining that!

Just kidding.  Judging by the reaction of Windu and the other Jedis in that scene, as well as the noise Palpatine makes, it appears that Palpatine turns into some kind of monster with the resulting conclusion that he kills them all.  At least that's what it seems (him turning into a monster) like to me. 

I haven't thought about the original trilogy in some time, but this thread makes me want to raise some questions that have been bugging me:

-since Anakin built 3PO, how come they never acknowledge each other in the original trilogy?  Was it just Lucas retroactively trying to create a tie-in, did 3PO not know Vader was Anakin, or did he know and wanted to have nothing at all to do with him?

-why didn't Padme change Luke's last name?

-why wasn't Ben trying to keep in close contact with Luke, i.e. trying to train him earlier on?

275763[/snapback]

The noise was really scary, I am not sure if it was added for dramatic effect in the trailer only. However, in the new versions of the original trilogy, the dark side of the force has sound associated with it, like when Vader uses force choke or force hurl you can hear a rumbling sound.

If you notice, the Emperor starts to physically deteriorate quickly once the "cat is out of the bag", that is, he no longer has to shield his powers so they consume his mortal frame more rapidly....

to answer your questions:

1. Memory wipe for 3PO, there are probably thousands of 3Po driods out there, hard to tell them apart.

2. Most of those who know about Luke's heritage was already dead, and with Luke trapped on a back water world like Tatooine, with Obi Wan to watch him, there was little reason to worry about his name. However, Leia's name was changed so she could remain "annonymous". Perhaps Vader knew that he was going to have a son, but he DEFINTELY didn't realize his wife would have Twins, as evident in ROTJ.

3. Ben was watching him from afar, which is why he knew Luke was in trouble with the Tusken Raiders in the first movie...

But he made it ten times worse was my point....

ASS! ;)  ;)

275761[/snapback]

lol, I know, just fuggin with ya :rolleyes: It's killin me to hold off on watching the OT......I'm waiting until I finish making additions to my home audio set-up, then having my brother and my niece come over to watch them. I've taken a few quick glances at some of the changes Lucas has made, but havent' seen them in their full glory as of yet........

By the way, does anyone else get turned on by that green chick in ROTJ? The one who starts screwing with Jabba and subsequently gets the trap door treatment? She's hot, man......

lol, I know, just fuggin with ya :rolleyes:  It's killin me to hold off on watching the OT......I'm waiting until I finish making additions to my home audio set-up, then having my brother and my niece come over to watch them. I've taken a few quick glances at some of the changes Lucas has made, but havent' seen them in their full glory as of yet........

By the way, does anyone else get turned on by that green chick in ROTJ? The one who starts screwing with Jabba and subsequently gets the trap door treatment? She's hot, man......

275771[/snapback]

LOL yeah I know. You should check out my new system, 42 inch plasma with surround sound. Getting ready for football season man...

LOL yeah I know. You should check out my new system, 42 inch plasma with surround sound. Getting ready for football season man...

275778[/snapback]

Nice! Are you going to feed your plasma an HD signal? I love how HD looks on my RPTV, but when I saw it at my stereo guy's shop it was something to behold. Braves (home) games are broadcast in HD down here in Atlanta......I've yet to see anything look as good as that did on the plasma screen.

What did you do for surround sound? Home theater in a Box type thing, or something more?

What I meant...[your name], is that Lucas hired dialogue help, just like he did with the current best star wars movie, EPISODE V (empire). Episodes 1 and yes, even 2 were chock full of awful, horrible dialogue that is a Lucas trademark.

You know, lines like "we have captured the queen." "Ah, *victory!*"

and "I wish I could just...wish it all away"

"roger roger" (modern american radio lingo in a galaxy far far away?)

and "I do...deeply...love you..."

and so many more...

don't get me wrong...i grew up with star wars and love it. but i was horribly disappointed with Lucas all the way back to Episode VI, which he wrecked with forest teddy bears and a ridiculous ending. Episode 1 was nauseatingly bad and Episode 2 wasn't able to crack the "as good as Episode VI" barrier.

What I meant...[your name], is that Lucas hired dialogue help, just like he did with the current best star wars movie, EPISODE V (empire). Episodes 1 and yes, even 2 were chock full of awful, horrible dialogue that is a Lucas trademark.

You know, lines like "we have captured the queen." "Ah, *victory!*"

and "I wish I could just...wish it all away"

"roger roger" (modern american radio lingo in a galaxy far far away?)

and "I do...deeply...love you..."

and so many more...

don't get me wrong...i grew up with star wars and love it. but i was horribly disappointed with Lucas all the way back to Episode VI, which he wrecked with forest teddy bears and a ridiculous ending. Episode 1 was nauseatingly bad and Episode 2 wasn't able to crack the "as good as Episode VI" barrier.

275803[/snapback]

One of my favorites is "Do you mean I get to go up with you in your spaceship?"

(where's the pukey smiley?)