Ford killing off all cars in NA except the 'Stanger and new Focus

Roundybout

https://jalopnik.com/ford-will-phase-out-all-its-small-cars-in-north-america-1825544784

“Over the next few years, the Ford car portfolio in North America will transition to two vehicles – the best-selling Mustang and the all-new Focus Active crossover coming out next year. The company is also exploring new ‘white space’ vehicle silhouettes that combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility.”

What the hell? This seems like a horrible idea. 

Sedans and cars are heavier now than they have ever been (last 40 years)... By almost a 1,000#s on average.

Just transitioning to small SUVs basically the same as a sedan.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/06/your_big_car_is_killing_me.html

"The average new car weighed 3,221 pounds in 1987 but 4,009 pounds in 2010. Even small-size sedans have packed on the pounds, thanks to more-powerful—if more-efficient—engines, as well as features like nicer seats, more safety features, and more legroom."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Its not a big deal. 

The same platform underpins multiple different vehicles in the company's lineup already.

That goes for all companies.

All you need is a high performance platform and a regular platform.

But only two cars? I get that the Lincoln Navigator is basically printing money for Ford, and so is the Expedition, but it still seems shortsighted to kill off cars like the Fiesta in case gas prices skyrocket again. 

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

But only two cars? I get that the Lincoln Navigator is basically printing money for Ford, and so is the Expedition, but it still seems shortsighted to kill off cars like the Fiesta in case gas prices skyrocket again. 

Its just multiple versions of the Focus. There's a regular focus, a cross-over-ish one and sounds like there will be an electric or hybrid one.

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

If the reliability continues to be great for the Fusion, I'd be willing to wait a couple years and get one as they phase out and get an absolute steal on one. 

I feel like I see a ton of Fusions on the road.  I would have thought they were doing really well with that car.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I feel like I see a ton of Fusions on the road.  I would have thought they were doing really well with that car.

The problem isn't the # of vehicles that they sell. The problem is the amount of $ they make or lose on each vehicle.

They have trouble breaking even with their car sales but their pickups generate thousands of dollars in profits on each vehicle.

45 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Its just multiple versions of the Focus. There's a regular focus, a cross-over-ish one and sounds like there will be an electric or hybrid one.

Unfortunately, this is the future of cars. SUVs and crossovers are king. I'll miss the Fiesta ST. 

16 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The problem isn't the # of vehicles that they sell. The problem is the amount of $ they make or lose on each vehicle.

They have trouble breaking even with their car sales but their pickups generate thousands of dollars in profits on each vehicle.

Which is why companies use the same platform for multiple vehicles. Saves on production costs.

Companies have been doing this type of thing in small doses, but this move by Ford is just a really big dose.

Look at FCA, for example. All they have is the Charger and Challenger. Two cars. Here, go "explore their lineup": Dodge cars

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Unfortunately, this is the future of cars. SUVs and crossovers are king. I'll miss the Fiesta ST. 

Yeah, I heard it's fun to drive. I guess just get a Focus ST...or a different brand's little cheap sports car.

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I just hope it isn't the same situation for a lot of the other dealers.  I'm going to be in the sedan market for the foreseeable future, so this move would eliminate them from my consideration.  It's a real shame too since a guy in my neighborhood manages a Ford dealership.  Goodbye to at least one car buying experience where the salesman wouldn't attempt to screw me over every possible way.

54 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

How many time has Ford replaced the transmission on your Fiesta?

Friend had a 2012ish Fiesta sport and has had multiple transmission replacements and recalls.  Not a lemon either, known problem with thatvmodel

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Friend had a 2012ish Fiesta sport and has had multiple transmission replacements and recalls.  Not a lemon either, known problem with thatvmodel

Actually, I'm a Honda guy (with a soft spot for Mitsubishi - Evo rules!) but my good buddy owns an ST that I've had the pleasure of riding in many times. No tranny issues but he did have a few intake manifold issues, related to poor build quality.

4 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

They aren't killing them off.  They will continue to sell them in Europe and other places just like they always have.  If the market changes it's not that big a deal to start bringing them back in.

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

your friend must drive like a lunatic pretending his automatic is a standard 

:)

39 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They aren't killing them off.  They will continue to sell them in Europe and other places just like they always have.  If the market changes it's not that big a deal to start bringing them back in.

Well that's why I said "Killing them in North America" :)