They may have caught the Golden State Killer

LeviF

Question, I can't find it answered.  The suspect lost a finger while serving in Vietnam, Navy I think... Well that's what one article I read had said.

The question is, did Patton Oswalt's wife Michelle McNamara, in her book, bring this finger deformity up?  I didn't read the book... Anybody who did read it, did the missing finger thing ever come up.  McNamara was very obsessed with the case, almost knew more than the investigators.

For being a meticulous serial killer, you would think the deformity would be a give away amongst survivors... A tell tale sign?

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209792989.html

"Burgarel said DeAngelo was injured while serving in the military and lost a finger. "

5 hours ago, bbb said:

Has it come out why he stopped this after 1986?

The advent of DNA testing, he was a cop @ one time, knew how to get away with things (see: Drew Peterson). Maybe he was following along with the changing tech.

"And DNA potentially may have played an earlier role in the case: by stopping the crime spree. Genetic testing was just coming into use as a criminal investigative tool in 1986 when the Golden State Killer apparently ended his decade long wave of attacks."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/golden-state-killer-suspect-s-capture-sparks-dna-site-privacy-n869661

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The advent of DNA testing, he was a cop @ one time, knew how to get away with things (see: Drew Peterson). Maybe he was following along with the changing tech.

"And DNA potentially may have played an earlier role in the case: by stopping the crime spree. Genetic testing was just coming into use as a criminal investigative tool in 1986 when the Golden State Killer apparently ended his decade long wave of attacks."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/golden-state-killer-suspect-s-capture-sparks-dna-site-privacy-n869661

Not sure what you're saying.

Just now, bbb said:

Not sure what you're saying.

He stopped because DNA was starting to be used in 1986.  He was a cop, he knew the ins and outs.

I think that quote I posted was perfectly clear?  Ain't too hard to figure out.

He seldom left finger prints... He knew.  DNA a little harder to not leave behind.

22 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

A common reaction to an EII post

However that was probably EII's most cogent post in quite a long time

You just can't resist the crusade.

He knows what I was saying... It was perfectly clear.  The dude stopped the spree because DNA was just getting onto to scene.

What's so hard to understand?  I even quoted an article.  Why are people being so obtuse.

And forget the hard on /dev, I am obviously stuck in your craw for some reason.  You need to get laid nerd boy, and not by a man this time. :P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He knows what I was saying... It was perfectly clear.  The dude stopped the spree because DNA was just getting onto to scene.

What's so hard to understand?  I even quoted an article.  Why are people being so obtuse.

And forget the hard on /dev, I am obviously stuck in your craw for some reason.  You need to get laid nerd boy, and not by a man this time. :P

This is how you respond to a compliment? <_<

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No, I didn't.  And, if you were perfectly clear, it was still lost on me.  Here is what you said.  This isn't even a real sentence in any grammatical way:

I had started to type "Are you saying that he somehow knew how to get away with not getting his DNA caught?"  But, then that didn't make any sense.  So, I said I'm not sure what you're saying.

It's pretty strange that somebody with these urges or whatever would just be able to stop - because of DNA coming onto the scene. 

Edited by bbb

9 hours ago, bbb said:

No, I didn't.  And, if you were perfectly clear, it was still lost on me.  Here is what you said.  This isn't even a real sentence in any grammatical way:

I had started to type "Are you saying that he somehow knew how to get away with not getting his DNA caught?"  But, then that didn't make any sense.  So, I said I'm not sure what you're saying.

It's pretty strange that somebody with these urges or whatever would just be able to stop - because of DNA coming onto the scene. 

Whatever.  I am not the only that thought about DNA coming onto the scene in late 1980s for the reason he stopped.  In fact, it was my first thought to why he stopped.  

I just thought I'd help you out, speed you along, with the quote others were saying:

Again... He was a cop in the 1970s, he had to be keeping abreast of the coming trends.  DNA (as a forensic tool) didn't magically appear in 1986.  It takes time to implement new methods, test, check accuracy... What not.  As a forensic tool, it had to be in place for a decade prior to see if it actually works.  He knew that.  Then he stopped, knowing he could get nabbed easily.

This creep was so calculating and cunning, he would tie people up and stick China plates on them. If they moved or got loose, the plates would break and alert him. Nothing he would do puts it past me.

Quick note:  When taken into custody... He gave up supposedly without even a peep/fight. Now that's weird from somebody who would think they were innocent.

Also... You know how there is "Munchausen Syndrome"... Maybe this azzwipe has the "cop version"...:lol: (well not really laughing) And figured he better stop because DNA is making things too easy.  Notice, in a lot of articles, they said he would never leave fingerprints.  My point is, he was well aware of current forensic investigative tools so what makes you think he wasn't keeping abreast of the DNA trends.  He wasn't some irrational sicko.  Yes a sicko, but high functioning... Almost normal... That's what is so hard to wrap our brains around.

So...Come on, stop being so obtuse.

EDIT: Sorry for my post, board text/font formatting issues.  This happens when I pasted in the quote.  I am not sure how to format in the mobile (on my phone all the time) version just yet.  Give me time to figure it out.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So...Come on, stop being so obtuse.

Screw you.  I already explained what I was thinking you meant. If you want to rant on about how nobody could ever misunderstand you, go ahead. 

2 hours ago, bbb said:

Screw you.  I already explained what I was thinking you meant. If you want to rant on about how nobody could ever misunderstand you, go ahead. 

No prob.  No reason to think hard about "what I meant."  You're the one being obtuse here.  It's pretty obvious that dude was out to fool everyone until DNA investigative tools would make his sick spree obsolete.  You're the one who asked why it stopped. I answered it.  Like it wasn't obvious to figure out?  I even backed it up with what other's were thinking.  I posted it when I saw it thinking I'd get you up to speed. Knowing it was "me", I figured I'd have to show you other's were thinking the same way... You still took the easy cheap shot.  I am not complicated

Not trying to be a jerk...Or a Richard... Or ranting.  Just helping you to get up to speed.  I understand it is hard to wrap one's brain around the heinous acts this **** MAY have committed.  Again, the perp hid his prints, because he knew he could.  DNA comes on scene, he stops. Simple.

The "Oh, it's EiL I don't understand him" thing don't hunt...Here at least. Save it for something that I will really confound you with.  Even /dev confirmed that sentiment.  I know, taking the cheap route is easy, I am just asking you to think a little, it's really not that hard.

Sorry for offending you. I am the one that should be offended and I probably was. :lol: 

Jeeze, last time I try to help. Yeah, right, I will be right back @ it "helping."  No good deed goes unpunished. <_<