Why the Giants should steer clear of Barkley - compelling

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You dislike Barkley that much?

No, not that i dislike Barkley.  It is more that I think the Giants are in the perfect situation to get a top 3 QB to replace Eli Manning in a couple of years.  The NYG situation would be similar to when the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers to sit behind Brett Favre for three seasons; not that I'm comparing any of the rookie QBs to Aaron Rodgers, but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

Couple of things on the stand that RB's do not win Super Bowls:

If Marshawn Lynch had been given the ball at the goal line, Seattle wins the game, Lynch is voted MVP.

Most Super Bowl winning teams have had great complimentary running backs; Marcus Allen, Franco Harris, Emmitt Smith, Roger Craig , Terrell Davis, Larry Csonka, Edgerrin James,

Edited by mabden

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No, not that i dislike Barkley.  It is more that I think the Giants are in the perfect situation to get a top 3 QB to replace Eli Manning in a couple of years.  The NYG situation would be similar to when the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers to sit behind Brett Favre for three seasons; not that I'm comparing any of the rookie QBs to Aaron Rodgers, but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

You said that if Gettelman does draft Barkley, you would fire him...

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said that if Gettelman does draft Barkley, you would fire him...

Yes, because I think the Giants are better served by drafting a QB with the #2 pick in the first round.

21 minutes ago, GG said:

Well, based on the other thread you can take Lamar off the board.

Best guess is that Beane is highly confident he'll trade into #2 or #4

Yeah I guess so then........

I don't envy Beane........he stepped to the plate with a strike against him when McD/Whaley botched the first round trade last year.    Doesn't have the luxury of punting again this time.

Good thing they at least picked a good player in White or there would be real gnashing of teeth over having passed on a QB then or not doing enough due diligence to get a deal done with then QB-less Houston rather than perennial playoff team in his buddy Andy Reid.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Yes, because I think the Giants are better served by drafting a QB with the #2 pick in the first round.

Just busting on you!

I totally agree and have been saying so for weeks.  This is a crucial junction for the Giants. 

• Like (+1) 1

At this point I would be absolutely floored if the Giants did not take Barkley...

Every time I see or hear things from the mountain of folks who think they should not, or mock a QB to them because that's what they think the Giants should do, I think...well...sure...If I was the Giants GM I'd Draft a QB too...But are you not just completely wasting your time worrying about it? Because literally every sign...I mean EVERY hint..says they are going to go with Barkley...They think he's beyond special...And there's reason to believe...in just that aspect of the equation...they could be right...

They're old-school football and they are going with the sure thing...They are envisioning the potential of putting Beckham, Engram, and Barkley on the field at the same time and what that means for Defenses trying to figure out how to stop it...They feel it will add a year or two to Eli's career by doing this, and it will instantly make them Playoff contenders...Now..They could be dead wrong about all of it...It may be the mistake of the century...But it certainly seems to be what they're thinking...So...Why fight it? B-)