Why the Giants should steer clear of Barkley - compelling

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would really be bothered if the Bills had a 37 year old QB and were considering taking a RB instead of an heir to that QB.

As the article states.........it's not just one reason.......there are huge issues with cap hits etc.. that just don't make sense.

But I particularly am not a big Barkley fan.     I felt positive that Zeke Elliott was going to be a stud.    He was a beast against everybody.    Barkley always appeared much less quick and fast when he played defenses that had speed.   That's just a less instinctive runner IMO.     I knew he would blow away the combine because we were told so many times........but in live game situations I didn't see that.

Agreed.  I can’t understand why they would pass on a QB.  

Barkley is good, but he’s not a generational player imo

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

It doesn’t even need to be this difficult.

“Why you should never take a RB in the first round.”

Because you shouldn’t.

Simple.

It’s all about value and RB’s are seriously undervalued in 2018. KC found the league’s top rusher in the 3rd round.  No need to draft a RB at #2 but glad NYG is

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Tell that to Lydell Mitchell,  Lenny Moore, Franco Harris, Curt Warner, and Larry Johnson. Even John Cappelleti was a pretty good player. The myth that PSU RBs are bad is even more fallacious than the one about USC QBs. Their record historically is pretty great, relatively speaking, and even accounting for Blair Thomas/Ki-jana Carter/Curtis Enis. 

What's the correlation of bad PSU RBs to NY teams though?

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed about Carter; he wasn't really a bust. He suffered a bad injury. Big difference.

Yeah.

I mean it depends how people view "bust".

I view a bust as, at the very least, a first round pick who just didn't live up to expectations.

There are levels of it for sure, some more impactful than others.

I put Carter in with rgiii and bo Jackson.

Injuries derailed a career that could have been great, but we will never know.

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Curt Warner went to Penn State.

Only because he did though.

Try Northern Iowa:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Who in the blue hell was hat?  You were talking about Kurt Warner...

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually think Gettelman is that dumb though.    I don't think much of him as a GM.  Eli has never been 100% football like Peyton......he's in better shape physically but this is a guy who has not been very good in recent years.   This should be a no-brainer decision for them to take a QB and if Darnold is the only one he'd draft over a RB then that's just not very smart IMO.

Worst case for Bills I would take Lamar Jackson and see where that adventure takes us.

His unwillingness to wheel and deal downward in past years plus his willingness to draft a RB in the top ten last year reminds me of another senior citizen GM. Goes by the name of Buddy. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He could have, but that would have been boring. The cap/salary information was fascinating and revealing. 

It's also pretty old news.  Everyone knows (especially since Russell Wilson joined the league) the massive increase in value that a franchise QB in his rookie contract brings since the last CBA.  Likewise, it's well known that RB's second contracts aren't anywhere those of QBs. 

But none of that is compelling as to why this team should take a QB in this draft.  Only their current status at QB should compel them.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

It’s all about value and RB’s are seriously undervalued in 2018. KC found the league’s top rusher in the 3rd round.  No need to draft a RB at #2 but glad NYG is

accept in Buffalo with Slim Shady

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually think Gettelman is that dumb though.    I don't think much of him as a GM.  Eli has never been 100% football like Peyton......he's in better shape physically but this is a guy who has not been very good in recent years.   This should be a no-brainer decision for them to take a QB and if Darnold is the only one he'd draft over a RB then that's just not very smart IMO.

Worst case for Bills I would take Lamar Jackson and see where that adventure takes us.

I think the Darnold talk is all posturing.  Obviously, all teams do not rate all the QB's equally in a given draft but I can't believe that it would be Darnold or nobody for the Giants.  Would not surprise me that Darnold for Gettleman is a goad for the Browns to take Darnold at 1 and leaves Rosen available at 2 for the Giants.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

His unwillingness to wheel and deal downward in past years plus his willingness to draft a RB in the top ten last year reminds me of another senior citizen GM. Goes by the name of Buddy. 

Agreed.  Jerry Reese would be settled on picking his QB or dealing with the Bills by now.  Gettleman is not a forward-thinker and both us and the Giants may pay for that...

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Even worse than Rudolph?

No.........Jax is one of the top 5 prospects IMO.    I will be shocked if they don't get one of them.

I'd even move up a few spots to get him if the other 4 were gone......after that I have no confidence in the rest of the crop.  

Rudolph may turn into a solid starter but I just don't see him turning into a franchise/elite QB.

The top 5 I think all have the potential at least.    

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No.........Jax is one of the top 5 prospects IMO.    I will be shocked if they don't get one of them.

I'd even move up a few spots to get him if the other 4 were gone......after that I have no confidence in the rest of the crop.  

Rudolph may turn into a solid starter but I just don't see him turning into a franchise/elite QB.

The top 5 I think all have the potential at least.    

Well, based on the other thread you can take Lamar off the board.

Best guess is that Beane is highly confident he'll trade into #2 or #4

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

His comments about drafting a Hall of Famer make me roll my eyes every time I hear it.