4-24: Ian Rapoport on One Bills Live and the Rich Eisen Show

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

What team spends a top 5 pick on a 3rd string QB? Those guys are after thoughts knowing that 9 out of 10 will be busts. Also since 2010, no QB has sat for 1 yr or more and turned out being a franchise QB. You only get better by playing

You're moving the goal posts. 

You said there wouldn't be enough reps. That's obviously not true or else no QBs would get picked as developmental guys at the end of the draft. 

If lack or reps was a real thing, and you can't develop without reps, then picking QBs after the first couple rounds seems like a colossal waste. 

Jimmy Garoppolo is about to disagree with you. 

Edited by jrober38

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

If there aren't enough reps, why do any NFL teams draft developmental 3rd string QBs? 

How many 1st and 2nd team reps do those guys take?

Hint:  the answer is less than 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

You said there wouldn't be enough reps. That's obviously not true or else no QBs would get picked as developmental guys at the end of the draft. 

If lack or reps was a real thing, and you can't develop without reps, then picking QBs after the first couple rounds seems like a colossal waste. 

Not a waste, someone has to be the back up.  Either way investing 2 top 5 picks in a QB is a sure way to ensure both of them fail. 

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rapoport - If you go through the reports, you can put almost every quarterback at the 1st pick to the Browns. No one really knows. Mayfield shouldn't be ruled out for the #1 pick, but is he the guy? No. #NFLDraft

"Mayfield shouldn't be ruled out...but I'm ruling him out."

That's some damn fine bloviating there...  :lol:

Just now, jrober38 said:

It is a waste. It's only for depth. That's why it's a late round pick because who cares. It's like buying a lottery ticket. People still do it even though they are going to lose

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Not a waste, someone has to be the back up.  Either way investing 2 top 5 picks in a QB is a sure way to ensure both of them fail. 

What exactly are you basing this off? 

It's never been done. How can anyone be convinced it won't work when there's zero precedent for it.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

It is a waste. It's only for depth. That's why it's a late round pick because who cares. It's like buying a lottery ticket. People still do it even though they are going to lose

Dude, first round picks are a lottery ticket too. 

The guy they pick #1 overall probably isn't going to work out. 

I don't see any harm in doubling down as a franchise who hasn't had a competent QB in over 25 years. 

If I'm flipping a coin, and I absolutely have to flip a "heads", I'd want 2 flips of the coin instead of 1. 

Edited by jrober38

25 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The numbers say that it's really hard to "get it right". 

Having two really good pass rushers means nothing if they don't have a QB. 

They need to walk away with this draft with a franchise QB to build around for the next 10 years. Picking two elite QB prospects all but guarantees that happens. 

Really?!? Do you not remember how the Giants beat the Pats (twice)? Remember the Broncos a couple of years ago? They won a Super Bowl with elite pass rush and terrible QB play. QB pressure is the 2nd most important thing and the Browns could have an ELITE pass rush this year. It doesn’t “mean nothing” without a QB. That’s the biggest overreaction. That’s what a team desperate for a franchise QB would say but it would be wrong. Ask the Colts and Packers what it’s like to have a QB and no rush.

It isn’t hard to get it right at the top of the draft. It’s 50/50 or better. Who was the last QB picked at 1 that failed? Russell over a decade ago? If you don’t have enough confidence to get it right you should be in charge of that decision. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't see any harm in doubling down as a franchise who hasn't had a competent QB in over 25 years. 

That's incorrect. High 1st round picks are usually about a 50/50 shot. Give me 50% odds on the lottery and I'll play every day. Also when you spend a high 1st on a QB you expect them to play right away. So now you have 2 high picks and ones a backup. Waste of a pick when you could have had the best position player in the entire draft

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really?!? Do you not remember how the Giants beat the Pats (twice)? Remember the Broncos a couple of years ago? They won a Super Bowl with elite pass rush and terrible QB play. QB pressure is the 2nd most important thing and the Browns could have an ELITE pass rush this year. It doesn’t “mean nothing” without a QB. That’s the biggest overreaction. That’s what a team desperate for a franchise QB would say but it would be wrong. Ask the Colts and Packers what it’s like to have a QB and no rush.

It isn’t hard to get it right at the top of the draft. It’s 50/50 or better. Who was the last QB picked at 1 that failed? Russell over a decade ago? If you don’t have enough confidence to get it right you should be in charge of that decision. 

Eli Manning as a "terrible" QB the years they won seems like a serious stretch. 

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

That's incorrect. High 1st round picks are usually about a 50/50 shot. Give me 50% odds on the lottery and I'll play every day. Also when you spend a high 1st on a QB you expect them to play right away. So now you have 2 high picks and ones a backup. Waste of a pick when you could have had the best position player in the entire draft

Exactly.

And I'd rather have two tickets with those odds and guarantee myself the outcome than one. 

Exactly.

And I'd rather have two tickets with those odds and guarantee myself the outcome than one. 

two tickets still doesnt guarantee it

Exactly.

Re-read what I wrote and tell me where I said Eli Manning was terrible...

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Exactly.

You also aren’t guaranteeing the outcome. A coin flip is 50/50 but two flips doesn’t mean 1 heads and 1 tails.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Big plays in the passing game and hitting quarterbacks a lot............if my team does that I'm entertained and the record will be good too.

The only problem is that sometimes DL in college disappear in the pros.   It's a want-to position and if that isn't there they can become invisible.  Bradley Chubb is a nice player but would be a later first rounder in many past drafts.    Davenport is on par with Kony Ealy on the hoof but probably goes in round 1 ....maybe early..... this year.    Next years pass rush draft should be sick.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

two tickets still doesnt guarantee it

Right. 

But it dramatically increases your odds. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Re-read what I wrote and tell me where I said Eli Manning was terrible...

"Do you not remember how the Giants beat the Pats (twice)? Remember the Broncos a couple of years ago? They won a Super Bowl with elite pass rush and terrible QB play."

What am I missing here? You said they won with "elite pass rush" and "terrible QB play". 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Big plays in the passing game and hitting quarterbacks a lot............if my team does that I'm entertained and the record will be good too.

The only problem is that sometimes DL in college disappear in the pros.   It's a want-to position and if that isn't there they can become invisible.  Bradley Chubb is a nice player but would be a later first rounder in many past drafts.    Davenport is on par with Kony Ealy on the hoof but probably goes in round 1 ....maybe early..... this year.    Next years pass rush draft should be sick.

The 2019 EDGE class has the potential to be ridiculous.  Some of those combine athletic testing scores will be absurd.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4-24: Ian Rapoport on One Bills Live (8:23)

Rapoport - Brandon Beane and Dave Gettleman know each other well and they could get a deal done quickly for the 2nd pick, but I don't think the Giants want to fall back that far. #Bills #NFLDraft

Rapoport - I would be surprised if Darnold or Mayfield are available after the 4th pick. The other quarterbacks I can see being available. Allen and Rosen are guys who could fall, and I can see the #Bills making moves up for them. #NFLDraft

Rapoport - If you go through the reports, you can put almost every quarterback at the 1st pick to the Browns. No one really knows. Mayfield shouldn't be ruled out for the #1 pick, but is he the guy? No. #NFLDraft

Allen is going number one and Mayfield is the guy.

Rapoport is a sleeper agent for Cleveland :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Right. 

But it dramatically increases your odds. 

"Do you not remember how the Giants beat the Pats (twice)? Remember the Broncos a couple of years ago? They won a Super Bowl with elite pass rush and terrible QB play."

What am I missing here? You said they won with "elite pass rush" and "terrible QB play". 

The Broncos, they won with the corpse of Peyton Manning and Osweiler.

Eli played well in the playoffs. That team never wins a Super Bowl without the rush. That NASCAR package gave Brady fits.

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

What exactly are you basing this off? 

It's never been done. How can anyone be convinced it won't work when there's zero precedent for it.

If I'm flipping a coin, and I absolutely have to flip a "heads", I'd want 2 flips of the coin instead of 1. 

It would be the worst most hostile QB competition ever.  

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The 2019 EDGE class has the potential to be ridiculous.  Some of those combine athletic testing scores will be absurd.

That’s exactly why I want to preserve the 2019 1st. I even like the interior guys. Give me Bosa or Lawrence or Oliver or Gary.