2nd Worst Scenario

Domdab99

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't see the Giants and Broncos needing a QB. As both have veteran QBs under contract the next two years and both perceive they we're better than their 2017 records and can improve with one of the two best prospects in the draft.

You're pry right with Denver, but the Giants would be shortsighted to pass on a QB.  The Giants pry won't pick this high again and Eli's 37.  Since nearly all of these QB's in this draft need developing, sitting behind Eli for a couple of years before his arm dies out is a very good long term success strategy.  I really think all this talk about the Giants not interested in taking a quarterback is smoke and mirrors. 

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Imagine that the Bills trade their two first round, two second round and a third, PLUS next year's first to move up to #2 or #1. (One sports network has suggested this as  being done in a two stage trade).  And then, several things could happen:  [1]  the guy is a bust and the Bills gutted the team and next year's top 4 pick for NOTHING and/or [2]  most of the top-con't-miss QB's drop into the lower half of the 1st round or the second round. 

The Bills are then absolute FOOLS because the sold all those good picks for nothing in a year when a lot of positions have solid prospects in the first 3 rounds.  They bought the hype generated by the teams looking for SUCKERS to trade up.

Now, please unleash all the testosterone-fueld "whatever it takes" posters, who are so scared of missing on a QB, that they will stock the rest of the team with borderline practice squad players and take 3-13 seasons for the next 5 years because they are such scaredy cats.

Don't even have words for this special kind of stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

the main point is...the giants at 2 and the broncos at 5 probably do not plan on having those high picks next year. how can they not go qb (s) of the future when one will be there for the taking?

Live for today, die tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Imagine that the Bills trade their two first round, two second round and a third, PLUS next year's first to move up to #2 or #1. (One sports network has suggested this as  being done in a two stage trade).  And then, several things could happen:  [1]  the guy is a bust and the Bills gutted the team and next year's top 4 pick for NOTHING and/or [2]  most of the top-con't-miss QB's drop into the lower half of the 1st round or the second round. 

The Bills are then absolute FOOLS because the sold all those good picks for nothing in a year when a lot of positions have solid prospects in the first 3 rounds.  They bought the hype generated by the teams looking for SUCKERS to trade up.

Now, please unleash all the testosterone-fueld "whatever it takes" posters, who are so scared of missing on a QB, that they will stock the rest of the team with borderline practice squad players and take 3-13 seasons for the next 5 years because they are such scaredy cats.

Good points.  I think the "whatever it takes" bunch are so starved for a franchise QB they say "just go for it" regardless of cost.  Those traded picks will be long forgotten if the QB they trade up to pick becomes "the franchise".  History tells us this is unlikely as there are roughly 12 QB's in the league that most of us could agree are the franchise type.  At least 4 of those guys were drafted more that 12 years ago. 

Edited by Epstein's Mother

Last year Allen had a 6 QB rating against Colorado and a 30 QB rating against Iowa.  He did smoke Garner-Webb 27-0  He has two years of college football in the 7th best conference in the country, but was pretty good at Reedly Junior College for two years.  His best victory was at #84 Colorado State. 

Sorry, one of the sensible criteria I always hear is that a high draft pick should have a number of years of success against good competition.

Yep,  here is who Reedly (Allen's team for 2 of his 4 years) played:    (I found the 2017 schedule- it was likely very similar)

Sequoias,    Los Medanos,    Redwoods     Hartnell,  Fresno,   SanJose,     Galviana,     Merced,    West Hills Coalinga,    and Monterey Peninsula.     Do you feel better about the top notch competition that Allen has under his belt, when he gets behind center for the Bills?      Have you ever heard of these places?  I'm sure that they are brave and good people playing there, but is it a good prep for the NFL?

Sat. 11 at *

• Like (+1) 1

Take one of Roquan / Edmonds / Ward / James / Fitzpatrick at 12. 

Trade 22 & one of the seconds to get a second guy out of that group. Walk out of day 1 adding 2 “blue chip” defensive talents for McD’s D. 

Take one of Lauletta / White / Falk later in the draft. Use the rest of our picks to fill “holes” in the offense and LBs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Last year Allen had a 6 QB rating against Colorado and a 30 QB rating against Iowa.  He did smoke Garner-Webb 27-0  He has two years of college football in the 7th best conference in the country, but was pretty good at Reedly Junior College for two years.  His best victory was at #84 Colorado State. 

Sorry, one of the sensible criteria I always hear is that a high draft pick should have a number of years of success against good competition.

Yep,  here is who Reedly (Allen's team for 2 of his 4 years) played:    (I found the 2017 schedule- it was likely very similar)

Sequoias,    Los Medanos,    Redwoods     Hartnell,  Fresno,   SanJose,     Galviana,     Merced,    West Hills Coalinga,    and Monterey Peninsula.     Do you feel better about the top notch competition that Allen has under his belt, when he gets behind center for the Bills?      Have you ever heard of these places?  I'm sure that they are brave and good people playing there, but is it a good prep for the NFL?

Sat. 11 at *

Shhhhh, we don't want other teams knowing that he sucks.  

16 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I do have words for you type of stupid.  It is a childish attitude.

Right.

You accuse people who want to attempt to acquire a franchise QB as being "testosterone fueled" and now you're concerned about childish behavior?

Eat a bag, you arrogant fool.

if every QB was taken before we pick at 12 (even if Allen is still on the board), I would take Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds and then BPA at 22 (or trade back if it is a really good deal, a high 2nd rounder, a 1st next year, or multiple picks). We need a play maker at #12 if we have to punt on the QB position

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

The absolute worst scenario is trading up to 2, giving up, 12, 22, a 2nd and next year's 1st - for Josh Allen. 

Here's the 2nd worst:

Browns - Allen

Giants - Darnold

Jets - Mayfield

Browns - xxx

Broncos - Rosen

And then Jackson gets picked before 12. 

This is not out of the realm of possibility. 

So, if this happens....what do you want the Bills to do?

(And if you say "Rudolph at 12," you should be banned)

If this happens, I wouldn't mind trading back one or both of our first round picks...but obviously, this is less than ideal. 

Good call on both of those scenarios. I would agree on worst and second worst. However, if the latter happens, then if I were Beane I’d fill holes and pick a QB next year when you’re picking in the top-5. Also I’d take Rudolph in the second if you can get him there. 

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

The absolute worst scenario is trading up to 2, giving up, 12, 22, a 2nd and next year's 1st - for Josh Allen. 

Here's the 2nd worst:

Browns - Allen

Giants - Darnold

Jets - Mayfield

Browns - xxx

Broncos - Rosen

And then Jackson gets picked before 12. 

This is not out of the realm of possibility. 

So, if this happens....what do you want the Bills to do?

(And if you say "Rudolph at 12," you should be banned)

If this happens, I wouldn't mind trading back one or both of our first round picks...but obviously, this is less than ideal. 

Guessing is fun

10 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

At the risk of arousing Mead, if that's how it plays out then Riley Ferguson with pick 96. I'd also be fine with Rudolph at pick 22. Not nearly as happy as if we moved up for Rosen or Darnold, but content.

Mead has a gift for you. It's called a boner. :D

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Manther said:

There are much worse scenarios.  But, I am not going to think about them and trust the process.  Our guys have this...

I agree.  Our guys have earned our trust.  They have plans A, B, C, and D worked out.  I believe this will be a transitional draft for our beloved Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

What you’re ignoring is that both need qb as well.

From a 2018 Bills fan's perspective, yes.   But who knows how these teams see it, especially since they can easily talk themselves into "Hey, we're good at QB for at least another couple years (which is forever to someone employed in the NFL), let's grab Nelson/Chubb/etc and win some games this year."