The Bills should pass on taking DeMulling

I agree.  Using our first two picks on OC & OG, could provide us with the possibility of immediate starters.  If not, great depth for the future.

275842[/snapback]

Good, its solved then. I am going to call TD right now and make it so... ;-)

JoeF

Self appointed member of the "don't sign DeMulling to a stupid contract" club

Good, its solved then.  I am going to call TD right now and make it so...  ;-)

JoeF

Self appointed member of the "don't sign DeMulling to a stupid contract" club

275848[/snapback]

I love helping out with executive decisions. Let me know when I can help again! :rolleyes:

why? we need a guard, he is a very good one, and there is only one other team competing for his services.......buffalo should be working hard to make this deal come together........

3M per year is what the bills gave villy........that is market value for a good guard, and the bills shouldn't hesistate to pay up to that amount to land demulling.........it would be money well spent.........

274190[/snapback]

d wag (or anyone else)? What's your OL budget for 2005? The Bills have one (though they are smart enough not to let folks they are negotiating with know what that number is).

According to Billszone (an inaccurate source of into but the best info available as far as I can tell) the current hit for 2005 from the existing roster is this:

RT- 9,174,000 (Williams)

RG- 2,998,000 (Villarial)

C- 3,629,000 (Teague)

LG-

LT-

Reserve OL (only the top 51 salaries count against the cap and many of these players at the NFL minimum or on the PS won't):

714,000 (Tucker)

540,000 + unclear bonuses (Gandy)

305,000 (McFarland)

230,000 (Eposito)

305,000 (Sobieski)

380,000 (Smith)

230,000 (Pruce)

305,000 (Peters)

Currently the overarching cap budget is about $85.5. The 5 OL players represent 10% of the total players in the cap (I think it is reasonable to assume all the starters will be in the top 51 salaries). The OL salaries (and thus the budget for all the OL starters and reserves) will likely run well over the 10% total because of the import of OL play.

Yet, with just three players signed their '05 cap hit come to about 15.8 million, well above the 8.5 million 5 starters will get from an even distribution, Even knowing our budget is going to end up well above $8.5 for the starters (much less the unit as a whole) aomething has to give here. In addition to a redistribution of cap hit in the OL we are also going to need to cover other purchases (TE, disaster QB, reserve RB, etc). We will also set aside $2-3 million for the draft.

I think we are in good shape as far as our cap needs go because moves yet to come (like restructuring MW's contract for about $4 million, trading Henry for about $1.25 million, additional cuts, converting base salary into bonus which can be spread over a number of years) will allow us to meet these needs and sign another significant OL FA )if we choose to). However, it appears to me that the math says if we sign DeMulling for $3 million we better be pretty comfortable with Gandy starting somewhere because we ain.

't gonna be able to afford another big FA signing.

For example if we obtained Shelton we could probably afford DeMulling as well by turning Shelton base pay of $3 million into a bonus payment which could be amortized over the life of his contract to give him a cap hit equivalent to Henry at $1.25 million. Even at that level you need to be tough on DeMulling and bring him in closer to a cap hit of $2 million or budget problems ensue.

I think DeMulling is the best guard out there, because actually word is he can play center which allows us to move Teague and his far below LT salary to that spot but it still leaves us deciding we can upgrade LG with improving Smith or going essentially bare at back-up C.

All I am asking that given your firm statement that we must sign DeMulling even for $3 million how do tou make it work?