The Bills should pass on taking DeMulling

Look, I'm into football for entertainment and the illusion of the game. I don't care if DeMulling is the player we need to fill outy our OL and deliver us to glory. As a fan i would say he has hacked around to much and allowed to many rumors that he would sign as quickly as possible, that he would sign this weekend and now that he will sign on Monday to get out there and be unfulfilled.

I revel as anyone in figuring out the business and salart cap part of this. However, unltimately I'm just a fan and only liked to be trifled with so much before even i say enough is enough.

DeMulling has every right to play the Lions and the Bills off against each other to get the largest contract he can get, but at least do something for the fans to allow us to maintain the illusion that this more than a business and a player is merely a hired gun going to the highest bidder.

So as a fan, I urge TD to stick to his budget and if DeMulling wants to go suck on exhaust pipes in Detroit then so be it.

I'd rather see us look to one of the other many options to build an acceptable line (develop internally Tucker, Teague, MW, Villarial, a newbie like Gandy, Smith, McFarlnd or even Jason Peters to man the OL positions, or look around the remaining FAs and get the best one and if it means resigning Marcus Price to give us depth, or make a deal for Shelton, or put a priority on trading Henry fir the best available draft pick or use our 2nd rounder to get a guy like Baas or someone we envision starting sooner rather than later rather than a project in the later rounds, or look at whatever cap casualties are there come June, than have us crawl across glass for DeMulling even if he can make the difference.

My pride is foolish and thank gosh it ain't my money on the line and not my decision or I would just as soon let him go than be jerked around.

If he is signed I'm sure I will forgive an forget but at best Mr, DeMulling has some splaining to do to Bills fans.

I think the majority of us agree that the OL is TOP priority! If that means shelling out some cash to protect our investments then so be it. The future of this team lies in JP and WM. If they are getting massacred every play then whats the point of paying 2 guys who have lost their confidence. We dont need more RJ around here!

I believe that someone formerly responsible in blocking for Peyton Manning is someone we want to consider blocking for J. P. Losman. I'm sure he could bring incredible experience that can help Losman develop. DeMulling's versatility, C or LG, is also valuable. As long as the deal is less than $3 million/yr, which it appears it will be because only 2 teams are interested, I welcome it. The deal could be set up as a 4 yr deal with a ridiculous 5th yr that brings up the "value" overall.

I say sign him 0:)

So not signing him has nothing to do with his play or lockerroom presence? It dosn't matter how much posturing he has to do as long as he or anyone gets to these first mini camps to begin working with Krumrie. The rest is all part of the negotiating process.

Look, I'm into football for entertainment and the illusion of the game. I don't care if DeMulling is the player we need to fill outy our OL and deliver us to glory. As a fan i would say he has hacked around to much and allowed to many rumors that he would sign as quickly as possible, that he would sign this weekend and now that he will sign on Monday to get out there and be unfulfilled.

I revel as anyone in figuring out the business and salart cap part of this. However, unltimately I'm just a fan and only liked to be trifled with so much before even i say enough is enough.

DeMulling has every right to play the Lions and the Bills off against each other to get the largest contract he can get, but at least do something for the fans to allow us to maintain the illusion that this more than a business and a player is merely a hired gun going to the highest bidder.

So as a fan, I urge TD to stick to his budget and if DeMulling wants to go suck on exhaust pipes in Detroit then so be it.

I'd rather see us look to one of the other many options to build an acceptable line (develop internally Tucker, Teague, MW, Villarial, a newbie like Gandy, Smith, McFarlnd or even Jason Peters to man the OL positions, or look around the remaining FAs and get the best one and if it means resigning Marcus Price to give us depth, or make a deal for Shelton,  or put a priority on trading Henry fir the best available draft pick or use our 2nd rounder to get a guy like Baas or someone we envision starting sooner rather than later rather than a project in the later rounds, or look at whatever cap casualties are there come June, than have us crawl across glass for DeMulling even if he can make the difference.

My pride is foolish and thank gosh it ain't my money on the line and not my decision or I would just as soon let him go than be jerked around.

If he is signed I'm sure I will forgive an forget but at best Mr, DeMulling has some splaining to do to Bills fans.

273570[/snapback]

I don't care if he steals his drinking money from the collection plate every Sunday, I don't care if he is mean to old ladies and I don't care if he is a locker room towel-snapper. I am not recruiting a church choir or a scout troop. I want an offensive lineman who will gnaw off the knee caps of a DT before letting him get within 10 feet of JP. I could care less if he is a "quality individual".

If he can block, sign him.

Some of the best players we have ever had were jerk-wad !@#$$ off the field though, in memory, we tend to retroactively canonize them.

I don't care if he steals his drinking money from the collection plate every Sunday, I don't care if he is mean to old ladies and I don't care if he is a locker room towel-snapper.  I am not recruiting a church choir or a scout troop.  I want an offensive lineman who will gnaw off the knee caps of a DT before letting him get within 10 feet of JP.  I could care less if he is a "quality individual". 

If he can block, sign him.

Some of the best players we have ever had were jerk-wad !@#$$ off the field though, in memory, we tend to retroactively canonize them.

273700[/snapback]

Does DeMulling have known character issues, or is this just about him taking his time to decide?

Does DeMulling have known character issues, or is this just about him taking his tome to decide?

273703[/snapback]

I guess fake-fat doesn't like him because of his playing hard to get. I don't know jack about him. I do know that our line is pathetic and if TD and McNally think this guy can play, then lets get him.

hes a very good gaurd. he would be a MAJOR upgrade at that spot. (though i like L. Smith).

he can only help our team.

if we can get a OT from a henry trade, our O-Line will be a strength insted of a weakness.

Guest BackInDaDay
I don't care if he steals his drinking money from the collection plate every Sunday, I don't care if he is mean to old ladies and I don't care if he is a locker room towel-snapper.  I am not recruiting a church choir or a scout troop.  I want an offensive lineman who will gnaw off the knee caps of a DT before letting him get within 10 feet of JP.  I could care less if he is a "quality individual". 

273700[/snapback]

;)

Apparently there is a radio station in Detroit that is claiming that DeMulling is likely to be a Lion by Wed, and the Lions are currently the only team negotiating with him.

Its been reported on several Lions message boards.

274147[/snapback]

One of those boards is stating that DeMulling wants 3mil/year, but Millen does not want to pay him that much. Also, no other team is negotiating, alledgedly. At 3 mil per, I can see why Buffalo may have dropped out of negotiations with DeMulling.

One of those boards is stating that DeMulling wants 3mil/year, but Millen does not want to pay him that much.  I can see why Buffalo may have dropped out of negotiations with DeMulling.

274171[/snapback]

:w00t:

Silly Lions fans...any normal football fan will tell you that the Lions and "overpaying" go hand in hand. With TD, he has a reputation for not overpaying for players and letting them come down to his price. Millen on the otherhand is known for hurling money at players and pouting if he doesnt get his way.

DeMulling will definitely be a Lion...just because TD is smart enough to stick to his guns and Millen is a sponge.

One of those boards is stating that DeMulling wants 3mil/year, but Millen does not want to pay him that much.  I can see why Buffalo may have dropped out of negotiations with DeMulling.

274171[/snapback]

why? we need a guard, he is a very good one, and there is only one other team competing for his services.......buffalo should be working hard to make this deal come together........

3M per year is what the bills gave villy........that is market value for a good guard, and the bills shouldn't hesistate to pay up to that amount to land demulling.........it would be money well spent.........

:w00t:

Silly Lions fans...any normal football fan will tell you that the Lions and "overpaying" go hand in hand.  With TD, he has a reputation for not overpaying for players and letting them come down to his price.  Millen on the otherhand is known for hurling money at players and pouting if he doesnt get his way.

DeMulling will definitely be a Lion...just because TD is smart enough to stick to his guns and Millen is a sponge.

274177[/snapback]

The board I read had a guy praising Millen for "sticking to his guns" and balking at 3 mil per. All I could think was, "yeah, we'll see about that". If DeMulling was going to settle for less than 3 mil per, he would be here, IMO. DeMulling must have a decent agent working for him, I'm thinking Millen is getting worked.

I am coming around to the fact that the Bills can't solve our remaining OL issues through top line FAs.

We have invested a lot of cap room already into Teague, M. Williams and Villarrial. We don't want to compromise our future ability to keep the young core of the team -- McGahee, Evans, Schobel, Spikes, McGee, Clements and maybe Kelsay and Losman together because the Bills weighted too heavily in the OL.

I agree that the OL is important but I think buying Free Agents at top dollar is not going to be our strategy. It will hurt us in other areas of the team.

We have two starting positions up for grabs and depending on how we address those a third starting position could need attention..here is where we are with each position:

LT-Teague will be tried, possible trade for Shelton, Peters will get a shot

LG-Tucker, Smith, Bannan and Esposito all in the mix now--we need a cheap vet to throw in here.

C-Teague is the incumbent, Tucker showed well here during the time Teague was out--a rookie draft choice will help and there is good interior line talent by several assessments in this draft.

RG-Chris V is solid

RT-Mike Williams showed good improvement and hopefully will launch from there in 2005

The right side of the line is solid--they pass protected and run blocked well particularly the last half of the season. I wouldn't mess with this.

We need to add three players to the mix for the left side of the line and center. Trades, post June 1 free agents, 2nd to 5th round draft choices are the most cost effective strategy for doing this. This strategy will let us get 2 or 3 guys for the bidding level and cap hit that DeMulling will command.

I agree with the assessment that blowing the budget on DeMulling and then depending on rookie free agents or street free agents at the minimum to fill the other holes is not smart...for the same cap hit we could probably get:

a second or third round C

a veteran tackle cut after June 1 due to cap issues

a trade for veteran G

We need to be patient.....

LT-Teague will be tried, possible trade for Shelton, Peters will get a shot

LG-Tucker, Smith, Bannan and Esposito all in the mix with and expensive DeMulling in FA

C-Teague is the incumbent, Tucker showed well here during the time Teague was out

RG-Chris V is solid

RT-Mike Williams showed good improvement and hopefully will launch from there in 2005

275831[/snapback]

What about Gandy at LG. He is at least as good as Tucker if not better?

If training camp started tomorrow, I would think the OL would look something like this...

Teague

Gandy

Tucker

Villarial

Williams

What about Gandy at LG.  He is at least as good as Tucker if not better?

275835[/snapback]

How could I forget Gandy...thanks LB...I think we can succeed at LG the current options--

Your line-up doesn't scare me when I consider the following...

I think we used this line a couple of games last year that we won..

Price--Smith--Tucker-Villarrial-Williams

and we had this line on the field a couple of times and did not implode

Price- Tucker - Teague - Smith- Williams...

We need good depth not one high priced guy but 3 medium priced guys...