OT-How bad is this?

Well, I think I would just have a problem signing million dollar book deals while there are a handful of other familes in the midst of mourning the loss of their loved ones.  I would never feel right if it were me.

274029[/snapback]

Would you feel "right" if you couldn't afford to send your daughter to college or move into a house of your own (instead of the current apartment) because you ignored a chance to make your life better?

You said "cashing in on the pain of others" as if she endured no pain.

274035[/snapback]

That had more to do with the vultures who are already circling, trying to capitalize on the situation (i.e. the people who would be putting together the movie and/or book). The fact that she had to get an attorney to handle this stuff already is kind of sickening, in my opinion. But yeah, if I were in her shoes I think I'd feel awkward becoming rich over this.

Would you feel "right" if you couldn't afford to send your daughter to college or move into a house of your own (instead of the current apartment) because you ignored a chance to make your life better?

274042[/snapback]

Again, I would not be able to look at it from a 'me' perspective. I wouldn't be thinking of it in terms of how it could advance myself or my family. I'd be too preoccupied with the thoughts of the other familes.

That had more to do with the vultures who are already circling, trying to capitalize on the situation (i.e. the people who would be putting together the movie and/or book). The fact that she had to get an attorney to handle this stuff already is kind of sickening, in my opinion. But yeah, if I were in her shoes I think I'd feel awkward becoming rich over this.

274044[/snapback]

The vultures do it because they know that people will buy the stuff. As long as people buy the stuff, people will be out there to fill the demand.

The vultures do it because they know that people will buy the stuff. As long as people buy the stuff, people will be out there to fill the demand.

274052[/snapback]

I agree....100%

Yeah, nothing like cashing in on the pain of others......it's the American way!

274012[/snapback]

Man, are you ever jumping to conclusions. Now she's cashing in?!?!?

She better retain an attorney. She needs some sort of professional council. There will be a lot of pressure coming from all sides (press, Hollywood, etc.)She's hardly prepared to deal with this on her own.

If there is a book or movie deal, why shouldn't she sell her story? It's going to come out in some form anyway. If it were me, I'd want my own input to the accounts, rather than the embellishments and conjecture of some Hollyweird writer.

Again, I would not be able to look at it from a 'me' perspective. I wouldn't be thinking of it in terms of how it could advance myself or my family. I'd be too preoccupied with the thoughts of the other familes.

274047[/snapback]

I think that's alot easier to say when there's no one offering you a million dollars.

Man, are you ever jumping to conclusions. Now she's cashing in?!?!?

She better retain an attorney. She needs some sort of professional council. There will be a lot of pressure coming from all sides (press, Hollywood, etc.)She's hardly prepared to deal with this on her own.

If there is a book or movie deal, why shouldn't she sell her story? It's going to come out in some form anyway. If it were me, I'd want my own input to the accounts, rather than the embellishments and conjecture of some Hollyweird writer.

274077[/snapback]

First of all, Im not jumping to conclusions whatsoever. I live in Atlanta, and the reports are that she has had to retain an attorney in order to handle the book and film offers that she is receiving. Second, if you read my post above, I was referring to the studios,publishers, etc. who are attempting to 'cash in'. I simply added that I would not feel right becoming rich as a result of this tragedy, but that's just me. The part that sickens me is the fact that the opportunists are aplenty, and the fact that they are already in the picture is a sad commentary.

I think that's alot easier to say when there's no one offering you a million dollars.

274079[/snapback]

True.....I'm not in her position, so I can't know for certain how I'd react. I will say, however, that I've actually been offered a relatively large sum of money as a 'thanks' from the family of a man whose life I helped save. It was very easy for me to turn that down......but granted, it wasn't millions, either.

I will say, however, that I've actually been offered a relatively large sum of money as a 'thanks' from the family of a man whose life I helped save. It was very easy for me to turn that down......but granted, it wasn't millions, either.

Well - you're a better man than me! I would have taken the money, given 10% to the church, 10% to the Red Cross, kept back round trip airfare to Buffalo for the season opener, and then shared the balance with my children.

Well - you're a better man than me! I would have taken the money, given 10% to the church, 10% to the Red Cross, kept back round trip airfare to Buffalo for the season opener, and then shared the balance with my children.

274119[/snapback]

lol, well in all honesty, if I had been anywhere other than work, I'd have probably considered exactly what you just said :w00t: It's just that I'm both trained and expected to be able to provide life saving measures when I'm at my job. But hey, if Donald Trump ever goes into cardiac arrest and I am on the scene, I'll gladly take a 'thank you' check :(

quote: I live in Atlanta, and the reports are that she has had to retain an attorney in order to handle the book and film offers that she is receiving.

Beware of "the reports". What source? The AJC? The talking heads at 11 Alive or Channel 2 Action News? Determined, Dependable, Delerious.

These are the same knuckleheads who reported the 51 year old female deputy that Nichols wrestled the gun away from was shot in the forehead by him. Don't let facts get in the way of a story. She never was shot - just beat up pretty good trying to retain possession of the pistol.

I know how these reporters work. State the facts then sprinkle with a dash of assumption to fill in the gaps. It's easier than good investigative journalism. They probably got the fact correct about her retaining an attorney. Do you think they ever bothered to ask her why she did this? If they weren't able to get an answer regarding the attorney retention, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to throw in the bit about book and movie deals, even if it never was mentioned by Mrs Smith or her council.

quote: I live in Atlanta, and the reports are that she has had to retain an attorney in order to handle the book and film offers that she is receiving.

Beware of "the reports". What source? The AJC? The talking heads at 11 Alive or Channel 2 Action News? Determined, Dependable, Delerious.

These are the same knuckleheads who reported the 51 year old female deputy that Nichols wrestled the gun away from was shot in the forehead by him. Don't let facts get in the way of a story. She never was shot - just beat up pretty good trying to retain possession of the pistol.

I know how these reporters work. State the facts then sprinkle with a dash of assumption to fill in the gaps. It's easier than good investigative journalism. They probably got the fact correct about her retaining an attorney. Do you think they ever bothered to ask her why she did this? If they weren't able to get an answer regarding the attorney retention, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to throw in the bit about book and movie deals, even if it never was mentioned by Mrs Smith or her council.

274265[/snapback]

Wow, and you tell ME that I'm jumping to conclusions? You take the cake, bro!

First of all, Im not jumping to conclusions whatsoever. I live in Atlanta, and the reports are that she has had to retain an attorney in order to handle the book and film offers that she is receiving. Second, if you read my post above, I was referring to the studios,publishers, etc. who are attempting to 'cash in'. I simply added that I would not feel right becoming rich as a result of this tragedy, but that's just me. The part that sickens me is the fact that the opportunists are aplenty, and the fact that they are already in the picture is a sad commentary.

274098[/snapback]

BTW - What part of North Georgia do you call home? Last week (Thursday a.m.), I spotted some guy, cigarette hanging out of his mouth, heading north on I-575 towards Jasper. Had a NY State/Buffalo Bills License vanity plate, MR GSP. I waved to him. Don't have any Bills stuff on my car so he probably just thought I was gay or something.

Is that you or a friend of yours?

BTW - What part of North Georgia do you call home? Last week (Thursday a.m.), I spotted some guy, cigarette hanging out of his mouth, heading north on I-575 towards Jasper. Had a NY State/Buffalo Bills License vanity plate, MR GSP.  I waved to him. Don't have any Bills stuff on my car so he probably just thought I was gay or something.

Is that you or a friend of yours?

274281[/snapback]

Nope, wasn't me......though I have actually seen a few Bills plates down here, too.....very surprising. I'm actually inGainesville right now......own a home in Lawrenceville.

Nope, wasn't me......though I have actually seen a few Bills plates down here, too.....very surprising.  I'm actually inGainesville right now......own a home in Lawrenceville.

274290[/snapback]

No kidding. I have a friend up there in the Mill Ridge Landing subdivision.

A lot of Bills fans around these parts.

No kidding.  I have a friend up there in the Mill Ridge Landing subdivision. 

A lot of Bills fans around these parts.

274342[/snapback]

WTF, I live in Mill Ridge LOL

No way!!! Anywhere near Mill Lane?

274418[/snapback]

Dude, I live ON Mill Lane LOL........this is like the friggin Twilight Zone