OT-How bad is this?

I was reading an article on cnn.com that talked about Brian Nichols holding hostage of that lady in her apartment. THe lady that eventually escaped and called 911 that led to his capture.

There was one part that stood out...

"A $60,000 reward had been posted for Nichols' capture. Authorities said Saturday they did not yet know if Smith would be eligible for that money."Article here

The fact that they are not sure if she's eligible...that's ridiculous. Maybe I'm ignorant to the whole process, but there should be no question she deserves that money.

The eligibility is probably questionable b/c she was under attack by him. Doesn't matter that he was wallowing over murdering four people, a POS like him could change moods in a second. She was a de facto hostage; police resources were spent to rescue her.

How bad is it that our society pays someone for simply not being a murder victim? Is being alive not enough? Shouldn't people call the police out of being a good citizen?

And why did they even need to offer a reward? Everyone wanted him off the street.

The eligibility is probably questionable b/c she was under attack by him. Doesn't matter that he was wallowing over murdering four people, a POS like him could change moods in a second. She was a de facto hostage; police resources were spent to rescue her.

How bad is it that our society pays someone for simply not being a murder victim? Is being alive not enough? Shouldn't people call the police out of being a good citizen?

And why did they even need to offer a reward? Everyone wanted him off the street.

273610[/snapback]

She wasn't rescued. That implies that the cops tracked him down. They had no idea where he was. The cops never would have found him without her phone call. She was in her car, by herself, when she called the cops.

After spending 7 hours calming Nichols and giving him some solace, she left her apartment (of her free will) at 9am to get her daughter then she called 911 from her cell phone to let the authorities know he was at her apartment. She convinced him to give up without putting up a fight. He let her leave knowing full well she was going to make the call.

The Fulton County authorities blew this one in so many ways, there's no way they aren't going to pay out the reward.

The woman, Ashley Smith, was widowed 4 years earlier when her husband was stabbed to death and died in her arms. She gained Nichols' trust, saying she didn't want her daughter to have no mommy either. She showed Nichols murder scene and autopsy photos and explained how difficult it had been for her and the daughter after losing her husband. He was able to think more clearly and sympathically about the pain he had caused to the families of his victims.

She pleaded for him not to harm her or anyone else. She even scolded him at times. She told him he must turn himself in. They prayed together. They watched the news reports together. He kept saying, "that's not me, that's not me". He couldn't believe what he had done. He was being "humanized" by Ashley Smith.

He later called her his angel.

Nichols was not a "gangsta". He came from a good family, had a decent job and education. He was being tried on charges following his abduction and rape of a girlfriend who'd been cheating on him. Obviously obsessed and possessive. This doesn't excuse his actions but points out that he was not a career criminal. He snapped and one thing led to another. He'll probably go for temporary insanity or some kind of psychological defense to avoid the death penalty.

Ashley Smith is a hero. She prevented any further violence. She's a single widowed mom trying to make ends meet. It would be a huge PR blunder not to pay her the reward she more than deserves.

Plus she cooked him pancakes in the morning. This guy apparently really f***ed up and just wanted it to come to an end.

Not only that she was held fuggin hostage! Pay the lady for having brass balls and keeping her cool at least!

273591[/snapback]

Plus she cooked him pancakes in the morning.  This guy apparently really f***ed up and just wanted it to come to an end.

273947[/snapback]

Yeah.

He started coming back to reality after entering her apartment.

First he took a shower. Then after talking with her for a while, told her he had the truck that he'd carjacked parked outside. He had killed his fourth victim getting the truck.

He asked Ashley to get in her car and follow him in the truck so he could get rid of the truck. As part of gaining his trust, she did exactly that. She was in her car alone and may have been able to take off, but it was more important for her to maintain the trust she was building with him. She didn't want to risk setting him off and possibly having others killed.

He got in her car after dumping the truck. They went back to her apartment, talked and prayed, and before leaving at 9am, she fixed him breakfast.

I think he had by this time resigned himself to becoming a prisoner, and was humbled with the realization and cruelty of his acts, and was savoring his last few moments of freedom with Ashley Smith, before he would likely become institutionalized for the rest of his life. Before she left at 9am, he gave her $40 and asked that she visit him in prison.

Hell of a story. So sad for the families who lost loved ones. Ashley Smith may have saved lives through her brave act of kindness. She and Nichols both believe their meeting and subsequent events were the work of God.

They are reporting here in Atlanta (WSB radio) that she's already retained an attorney for the purposes of negotiating book and movie deals. ;)

Which means she's as smart as she is brave.  Good for her.

273995[/snapback]

Yeah, nothing like cashing in on the pain of others......it's the American way!

274012[/snapback]

How exactly is that? She was directly in the middle of the fray and was a big reason it ended as positively as it did. There's nothing wrong with answering the door when opportunity knocks.

274012[/snapback]

So, there was no pain involved in being held hostage by someone who just killed multiple people?

How exactly is that?  She was directly in the middle of the fray and was a big reason it ended as positively as it did.  There's nothing wrong with answering the door when opportunity knocks.

274014[/snapback]

Well, I think I would just have a problem signing million dollar book deals while there are a handful of other familes in the midst of mourning the loss of their loved ones. I would never feel right if it were me.

So, there was no pain involved in being held hostage by someone who just killed multiple people?

274027[/snapback]

When did I say that?

Folksseem to be equating financial remuneration with moral judgment. these two things can be directly related but in our society they are intrinsically different. Life is not always fair believe it or not. She certainly deserves the money and untold riches (likely to come from book and movie deals) if the story is true as she tells it (I assume it is right now certainly), but this is a different question than wether she meets the financial strictures and requirements to qualify for the reward money.

My guess is she will get it without knowing much about the customary practice with such reward offers in the jurisdiction of Atlanta where it was offered and where any dispute is likely to be adjudicated if one exists.

Customarily these reward offers are designed to be an incentive to get the general public to thinks hard about what they see and discover connections that lead to apprehension or to create an incentive which emboldenms folks to call in what may be a coincidence but may be a crime. They also can provide a financial incentive to get someone who knows the criminal to turn them in.

She would likely fit into the first general customary practice as a member of the public and would not be disqualified because she was forced into deep involvement with him.

esides, in our society 60K is chump change and someone will easily provide or make-up for this amount.