On this day, 8 years ago, Bills selected...

18 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I remember telling a friend right before the draft that if they didn’t take o-line or d-line then they are idiots.  I also remember being royally ticked off by that pick.

As was I, I remember watching highlights of Spiller after we picked him and I got excited for a bit. But I still asked myself why? We already have Freddie and Lynch

2 hours ago, Bills4life1924 said:

CJ Spiller with the 9th overall pick! 

Some were upset it wasn't Jimmy Clausen. Some didn't understand need for rb (already had Jackson and Lynch).

Who else were you guys hoping for in that draft? Because we know now, Spiller or Clausen didn't amount to anything

It's interesting to look at the names knowing what we know now.

With that 9th pick we could have had:

Earl Thomas

Mike Iupati

Jason Pierre Paul

Maurkice Pouncey

Jerry Hughes

Or some guy the Patriots ended up taking in the second round named Rob Gronkowski.

Bills took Torell Troup with the immediately preceding pick! 

:lol:

I wanted Bulaga

Would not have been a whole lot better than CJ, but it's who I wanted.

I thought we were goimg to draft Gronk, but thought it would have been a reach.

I def did not want Clausen, and never quite understood why anyone did.

Of course, Chan wanted his "waterbug'

I wanted Bulaga, but when Dez Bryant was there when we picked I wanted him. I thought he’d go top 5 for sure,  he ended up in the 20s and I thought wow was I off on him. Obviously the NFL scouts know something about DEz that I didn’t. 

Edited by billvernsays

2 hours ago, Bills4life1924 said:

CJ Spiller with the 9th overall pick! 

Some were upset it wasn't Jimmy Clausen. Some didn't understand need for rb (already had Jackson and Lynch).

Who else were you guys hoping for in that draft? Because we know now, Spiller or Clausen didn't amount to anything

Hated it then, hate it even more now.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I wanted to trade down, but there wasn’t  anyone good enough for another team to trade up for.  Players I hoped

for were Bulaga, Brandon Graham or Jimmy Clausen (sadly. I was one that would’ve been ok taking a QB in every draft until we got one that didn’t suck).  The 2nd rd pick was one of the worst picks in Bills history.  

I recalling thinking he'd be a solid pick.  But that wasn't nearly flashy enough for many posters here....or the clowns running the Bills draft.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I did not want any of the other QB.

I wanted a DE.  Brandon Graham or Pierre-Paul interested me. 

I also wanted help on the OL.  Demetress Bell didn't do it for me at LT.  If they didn't like him at 9, trading down and grabbing Bulaga or Saffold at T appealed to me.

I was appalled by the choice of Spiller: BPA?  Seriously?  Can't we give a little consideration to building a roster?

Trivia: this is the draft where our Vlad Ducasse was taken as a T late in the 2nd.

Please repost your original posts regarding who you were banging the table for

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Or some guy the Patriots ended up taking in the second round named Rob Gronkowski.

Bills took Torell Troup with the immediately preceding pick! 

:lol:

Everyone is talking about first rd draft fails, but this is more painful to me.  Raiders (who traded away that pick to the Pats) actually had him rated the best all-around player in the entire draft.  We took Troup.  :angry:

1 hour ago, billvernsays said:

I wanted Bulaga, but when Dez Bryant was there when we picked I wanted him. I thought he’d go top 5 for sure,  he ended up in the 20s and I thought wow was I off on him. Obviously the NFL scouts know something about DEz that I didn’t. 

i wanted dez first then  rolando but rolando went to the raiders.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I did not want any of the other QB.

I wanted a DE.  Brandon Graham or Pierre-Paul interested me. 

I also wanted help on the OL.  Demetress Bell didn't do it for me at LT.  If they didn't like him at 9, trading down and grabbing Bulaga or Saffold at T appealed to me.

I was appalled by the choice of Spiller: BPA?  Seriously?  Can't we give a little consideration to building a roster?

Trivia: this is the draft where our Vlad Ducasse was taken as a T late in the 2nd.

I wanted a DE, too.  But I will admit ... I was excited about the Spiller pick ... after sleeping on it for a night.  My initial reaction was, "YOU DON'T PICK A RB IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!"  All pets went running for cover.  But the next morning, like most of us do, I justified it and saw the good in it.  I thought he'd be a game changer.

Wrong.

This is one of the many reasons I'm not an NFL GM.

13 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Any pick would of been better than Spiller, we would of kept Lynch.

Remember the talk about him surpassing Jamal Charles...too funny....had flashes that was it.

The fact that we felt Marshawn Lynch had peaked in 2010 speaks volumes about how bad the FO was in those days.  Beast Mode had his issues (ahem), to be sure, but he won one SB and would have won a second if Pete Carroll hadn't overthunk himself in XLIX.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

All pets went running for cover.  

:lol: LMAO

Edited by JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS

I think they knew lynch was already walking out the door then.  I think dez would have been nice to pair with evans and stevie.  We still didnt have anyone to throw them the ball but would have looked good.

Hated CJ pick. Also wanted Bulaga.  I did not think much of Clausen but would have been fine with trading down and taking him late in the first or when he made it to the second round taking him there.  

Hated the Troup pick as almost everyone said he was a fourth or firth round guy.