Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse?

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

"He had asked me if my trip to France was expensive. And I said yeah... I didn't really get why he was asking that question. And then he said it's about to get a lot more expensive after I charge you $500," said Tadlock

giphy.gif

Yeah... That was pimpy... Just take the apple and drop the fine.

We were returning from Germany, a couple years ago.  For some reason, my wife picked up a banana in the Lufthansa club room at Frankfurt, Instead of eating it, she put it in her coat pocket.  We got to Dulles, and were standing, waiting for our bags to come out, and my wife looked down, and saw the little USDA beagle sitting next to her.   So we had to go to secondary Customs inspection, wasted an hour in line.  There was a girl in front of us that got busted for having an orange.  She ate the orange, while in line, and handed the inspector the orange peel.  Secondary Customs inspection is a scary place.  I think we were the only people not wearing a turban!  Finally got to the front of the line, dropped the banana in the inspector's trash can, and we were out of there!  I feel better knowing that our country was safe because the orange and banana didn't enter.

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When returning from Mexico City I had grabbed an apple for a snack before goimg the the airport but never ate it.     

As I was about to get up to leave I thought about it and left it on the seat next to me.  

They are kinda strict on this stuff, can't blame them... On trip to BC, they kind of warned us crossing back into Washington State.

• Like (+1) 1

Amount of the fine seems harsh, but her "Delta should have told me" whine reduces my symathy for her considerably.   There is a clear warning about bringing plants, produce, etc. into the country on every overseas flight.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Amount of the fine seems harsh, but her "Delta should have told me" whine reduces my symathy for her considerably.   There is a clear warning about bringing plants, produce, etc. into the country on every overseas flight.

But it was the Delta apple.  Did they supply the plane in France.  I would think so.  Agree, $500 is steep... Customs Agent, if said what they said, is out of line.

5 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We were returning from Germany, a couple years ago.  For some reason, my wife picked up a banana in the Lufthansa club room at Frankfurt, Instead of eating it, she put it in her coat pocket.  We got to Dulles, and were standing, waiting for our bags to come out, and my wife looked down, and saw the little USDA beagle sitting next to her.   So we had to go to secondary Customs inspection, wasted an hour in line.  There was a girl in front of us that got busted for having an orange.  She ate the orange, while in line, and handed the inspector the orange peel.  Secondary Customs inspection is a scary place.  I think we were the only people not wearing a turban!  Finally got to the front of the line, dropped the banana in the inspector's trash can, and we were out of there!  I feel better knowing that our country was safe because the orange and banana didn't enter.

What an F-ing joke.

Stuff like this really pisses me off.

The ex and I were talking with customs in Australia when we were there, and they said people are most surprised that trail mix is not allowed. Why? Most of it has bananas in it, which is not allowed to be brought into the country, even if it is dried 

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

There's a reason they don't !@#$ around with produce. Same reason they don't !@#$ around with quarantines when there's a flu pandemic:

It doesn't take much to screw things up royally.

It seems overbearing but you’d be amazed at the stuff you can ban bring back unknowingly. I have horses and occasionally go riding in other countries. I buy boots and pants that I throw out there when I’m done. It’s probably being over cautious but you’d be amazed the resilience of what sits in/on soil.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

There's a reason they don't !@#$ around with produce. Same reason they don't !@#$ around with quarantines when there's a flu pandemic:

It doesn't take much to screw things up royally.

Exactly. The rules are there for a reason, and they are clearly posted.  Stupid people get way too much leeway for being stupid nowadays. 

Edit: by leeway, I mean other morons whining and crying and making a big stink for their stupidity.

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Exactly. The rules are there for a reason, and they are clearly posted.  Stupid people get way too much leeway for being stupid nowadays. 

Edit: by leeway, I mean other morons whining and crying and making a big stink for their stupidity.

Agree. Stupity sucked in by Delta knowing they would have to declare that FRENCH apple when they landed.  Why do you think they were unloading those "free apples."  Get them the hell out of our hands before Customs boards our plane!

Yet... Instead of extracting $$$$ that goes down an empty pit.  Put them to work.

Not sure what she could do 50 hours community service for U.S. Customs, but USDA... I am sure we can find something. ;);)

Monetary damages, That 500 bucks is chump change to many.  "Cost of doing business."  Now, if they were extorting from an underclass instead of using community service and their labor as tool to correct a violation, that may help society more than actually hurting it.

Obviously, she went to Paris, she can fork over the 500.  Maybe, that was the Customs Guy's point with the snarky comment.

Make it 10 grand for that apple and we then see what's happening everyday in other parts of society.

Anyway, I am not going to cry for this Snowflake.  Yes, common sense says that if fine was waved, she will probably never be toting an illucit apple again.

Again, the creepy part is Delta.  Were they foisting off French fruit so they wouldn't have to declare it.  They put burden on her in a sneaky way.  Dumbazz walked into right Delta's hide and seek game.  But, get over it Snowflake... Happens everyday to others.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

16 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That’s BS.  Just confiscate the stupid apple and let the lady go on about her way.  Not like she was knowingly smuggling a suitcase full of elephant tusks.  Good grief...

Delta was unloading their foreign fruit on to passengers so thet wouldn't have to deal with the customs issues.

They weren't doing it out of kindness.  Delta knew to get those apples the hell off their plane.

Delta should have been forthright with the passengers and told them the Custons issues.  Nobody would have touched those apples with a 10 foot pole.

For a big company, pretty pimpy to do something like that.  Get rid of every apple before they (U.S. Customs) tie up our plane and cost us $$$$$.

Gonna sound strange (but what do I say that doesn't :) )... Delta, if they were stand-up & decent, would pay the lady's fine.

5 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

It seems overbearing but you’d be amazed at the stuff you can ban bring back unknowingly. I have horses and occasionally go riding in other countries. I buy boots and pants that I throw out there when I’m done. It’s probably being over cautious but you’d be amazed the resilience of what sits in/on soil.

Like 3 dozen apples, uneaten, sitting in the galley of a plane after all the passengers left.

$500

$500

$500

$500

x3 dozen...