4-20: Warren Sharp Talks College QBs, AJ McCarron, and 2018 Strength of Schedule on WGR

4-20: Warren Sharp from SharpFootballAnalysis.com on WGR (12:58)
Sharp discussed how difficult it is to compare College QBs from an statistical perspective given all of the different variables involved. Talked quite a bit about AJ McCarron vs. drafting a rookie QB. He also talked about 2018 NFL Strength of Schedule.

I have been wondering the same thing about Smith.  If so, the Bills still may need to get into the top 10 to have a chance to draft him.  Smith has been linked to the Raiders and the 49ers in many of the mock drafts that are out there (to the extent that means anything).

Would love Smith.  While I have no confidence he will ultimately be a starter in the league, I am not nearly as done with Peterman as the popular press seems to be.  Like McCarron he is a worker and competitor.  I think Beane and McDermott like him.  And his catastrophic NFL start was a lot like his collegiate start, which he overcame.  Agree we need to draft a QB with talent, but don't dislike McCarron and Peterman.  Would be fun to get Smith if they really like someone like Rudolph, Luletta or White (and are not just settling)!

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm wondering if Buffalo has their eye on Roquan Smith and not the QB's. 

This would make me physically ill.

This is the year that we have to take our medicine, and do whatever it takes to move up and secure our franchise QB.  This is why we have amassed all this draft capital.  Anything less is an epic fail, and more of the same lack of investment in the most important position that has plagued this franchise.

Also, if we don't use those extra picks to move up for our QB, passing on Mahomes and Watson last year will have been another major mistake.  It only makes sense if the plan was to grab our guy this year.  It has to be so.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

This is the year that we have to take our medicine, and do whatever it takes to move up and secure our franchise QB.  This is why we have amassed all this draft capital.  Anything less is an epic fail, and more of the same lack of investment in the most important position that has plagued this franchise.

Also, if we don't use those extra picks to move up for our QB, passing on Mahomes and Watson last year will have been another major mistake.  It only makes sense if the plan was to grab our guy this year.  It has to be so.

I am a big fan of Smith, but they put all their chips in for the qb, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

4-20: Warren Sharp... is high as hell.

Is how that sentence ends.

53 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I have been wondering the same thing about Smith.  If so, the Bills still may need to get into the top 10 to have a chance to draft him.  Smith has been linked to the Raiders and the 49ers in many of the mock drafts that are out there (to the extent that means anything).

Im in the heart of Bulldog country and have seen Smith play live many times. I'm a big fan.

With that said, if the Bills did allthis moving around and trading up to get a LB, Beane and McD should be fired on the spot.

I know that this is like farting into the wind but can we stop with the melodramatics.  Nobody is getting fired over this draft.  Terry and Kim no doubt have been briefed by McDermott and Beane so its not like there will be a surprise come draft day.  Lets face it in that there will be no more than 2 players taken in the first and only one if we exercise a big move up.  We have Rosen camps here.  We have Darnold camps here.  We have Mayfield camps here.  You get the point.  A certain portion of the board is going to be seriously disappointed come the end of next week as the  team is not going to please everyone.  If you can't be happy with what the team selected even if it is not your own personal preference you might just as well plan on quitting the team.  The internet tough guy act is getting pretty old.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Best QB who falls to us at 12 and Evans at 22. Done.

That's called reaching for a need. A sure way to get you bad value busts, and waste your most important picks.

If we're going to stay at #12 it has to be BPA regardless of position. Which means it most likely wont be a QB. Which means we wont be getting a QB. Which is exactly why we need to trade up and get a QB.

32 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yet again I would ask what has Mahomes (and to be honest Watson) accomplished to date other than being names that people know?

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

That's called reaching for a need. A sure way to get you bad value busts, and waste your most important picks.

If we're going to stay at #12 it has to be BPA regardless of position. Which means it most likely wont be a QB. Which means we wont be getting a QB. Which is exactly why we need to trade up and get a QB.

Which no one should doubt Beane is planning to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just really dont see any scenario where Buffalo is not taking a QB with their top pick in this draft unless it ultimately becomes impossible.....

- The new HC and GM did not get to pick THEIR QB last year......they worked with the last groups QB....which is actually not the norm.

- AJM...while I have high hopes for...does not have the track record to show he is for sure the guy

- Nate P. who I have not given up on.....did in fact that that horrendous 5 interception half...which will probably be a record for a long long time

- This is a QB draft....i truly believe that as many as 4 long term starters are going to come out of the money rounds

I have to believe the bills will do the right thing here.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It wont be reaching if they take L. Jackson.....who in the end could be a sensational player.

I def think trade up is the best option though.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If the QB’s available at 12 are reaches, then trade up or take a non-QB.

Too many needs to trade away so many picks to move down when there are no slam dunk QB’s in the class.

Edited by Sky Diver

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

If the QB’s available at 12 are reaches, then trade up or take a non-QB.

Too many needs to trade away so many picks to move down when there are no slam dunk QB’s in the class.

I think you have these reversed?

And if you dont like the QBs in this class, you'll never like a QB prospect. The time is now.

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

Not yet they haven't. The Jets pulled the trigger, not Buffalo. 

I'll rephrase.  They gathered assets so they would have a lot of chips.  I strongly suspect they did that in order to secure a qb.