Hey any of you good WNY Itallians out there

This saturday is st josephs day, and a few years ago i had the privlege and pleasure of attending a couple st josephs tables with my 87 year old grandma. I would like to throw one together down here in richmond for some of my displaced freinds. I am searching the web for recipes and info, but does anyone have any good traditional recipes and setups for a quick table? Thanks in advance.

This saturday is st josephs day, and a few years ago i had the privlege and pleasure of attending a couple st josephs tables with my 87 year old grandma.  I would like to throw one together down here in richmond for some of my displaced freinds.  I am searching the web for recipes and info, but does anyone have any good traditional recipes and setups for a quick table?  Thanks in advance.

273427[/snapback]

Hey paison,,I get alla mya recipes froma here...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...n=9780446530576

well i want to do the pasta con sarde, st. josephs bread, and maybe some sphinge(sp), don't they also have beans, fritatts and fried veggies? I don't want to go overboard, just something for some of my guinea friends(don't worry, i am half guinea)

Like what, Pooj? Gimme an idea of the extent to which you want to put something together, and I'll PM you some recipes.

273448[/snapback]

Oh my God...as i write this my wife is making St. Joseph's bread to share with her CCD class.

I found the following in my grandmothers book The Art of Sicilian Cooking:

La Festa di San Giuseppe, La Tavola di San Giuseppe is a meatless feast table, prepared and given to those in need: Orphans, widows, cripples, and beggars. Usually nineteen people are invited to the banquet in keeping with the fact that the holiday is celebrated on the nineteenth, but often many more are included. Everyone in the village contributes what he can to the banquet: money, food, flowers, candles. In small villages, the banquet is given outdoors; but in large cities and various locales, feast tables are prepared indoors.

Customarily, many people make the rounds, visiting several feast tables the day before or the morning of the feast to admire the culinary artistry and table decorations. The long feast tables, extending through several rooms, are laden with an array of traditional foods; thick lentel soup, hearty minestone, pasta con le sarde (spaghetti with sardines and fennel), fried fresh sardines, double layers of stuffed sardines, chunks of fresh chilled fennel, large balck oil-cured olives, fried artichoke hearts, stuffed baked artichokes, stuffed escarole rolls, fried cauliflower rosttes, spinach and asparagus frosce (omelets), braided bread wreaths, large naval oranges, pomegranates, sfinge di San Giuseppi (crullers), struffoli (honey-dipped cakes), and crispelle (honey-dipped rice fritters shapped like sausages.

Viva San Giuseppi!

This thread brought a tear to my eye. St. Joesphs day was huge in my family when growing up. My grandmother (God rest her soul) used to put out a huge spread. My mom and aunts carried on the tradition after she passed, but since I moved out of WNY 11 years ago I haven't celebrated it. Have a spinge for me! 0:)

well i want to do the pasta con sarde, st. josephs bread, and maybe some sphinge(sp), don't they also have beans, fritatts and fried veggies?  I don't want to go overboard, just something for some of my guinea friends(don't worry, i am half guinea)

273453[/snapback]

Thats still a racist statement........I'm half Italian also

well i want to do the pasta con sarde, st. josephs bread, and maybe some sphinge(sp), don't they also have beans, fritatts and fried veggies?  I don't want to go overboard, just something for some of my guinea friends(don't worry, i am half guinea)

273453[/snapback]

Sphinge, man, that stuff is food of the Gods, misca.

Thats still a racist statement........I'm half Italian also

273542[/snapback]

Jack Woltz: Now you listen to me, you smooth talking SOB. Let me lay it on the line for you and your boss, whoever he is. Johnny Fontane will never get that movie. I don't care how many dago guinea wop greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.

Jack Woltz: Now you listen to me, you smooth talking SOB. Let me lay it on the line for you and your boss, whoever he is. Johnny Fontane will never get that movie. I don't care how many dago guinea wop greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.

273694[/snapback]

That's very disrespectful. Listen...it's okay if we Italians call ourselves dago guinea wop greaseball goombas...but no one else can. That's when it becomes racist. Got it? ;)

Poojer-

If you're interested in a meal to impress for Italians you should look at this Tuscan variation on Bistecca- very easy to make but one of the great dishes you'll ever put out-

You need a New York strip steak for every diner, buy Choice or Prime NYs and they should each be around 8-10 ounces minimum.

A portion of arugula, basically a handful for each plate. A teaspoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice per plate with 2 teaspoons of good olive oil.

Get a very hot barbeque going while pan searing some fingerling potatoes in 1/4 cup of olive oil, a little rock salt and a couple twigs worth of chopped fresh rosemary leaves. Do it at a high heat to crust the potatoes before putting that pan in a hot oven, about 400 degrees.

As the potatoes get close (about 40 minutes) throw the steaks on thye grill at higyh heat- you want to really sear the stevestojan out of them and limit your flips to one time ideally. Side one should take almost three times as long as side two- the trick it to cook them not any longer than medium rare, rare is even closer to perfect. Toss the arugula with the lemon and olive oil at 2 parts OO to 1 part lemon, plate the tossed arugula with some fresh ground pepper and after allowing the steak to cool down for 5 minutes cut it in 1/4 inch strips against the grain. Fan the steak over the arugula, surround the whole thing with the spuds on the plate edge and serve it. Get ready for your guests to inquire as to the status of your beatification.

Poojer-

If you're interested in a meal to impress for Italians you should look at this Tuscan variation on Bistecca- very easy to make but one of the great dishes you'll ever put out-

You need a New York strip steak for every diner, buy Choice or Prime NYs and they should each be around 8-10 ounces minimum.

A portion of arugula, basically a handful for each plate. A teaspoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice per plate with 2 teaspoons of good olive oil.

Get a very hot barbeque going while pan searing some fingerling potatoes in 1/4 cup of olive oil, a little rock salt and a couple twigs worth of chopped fresh rosemary leaves. Do it at a high heat to crust the potatoes before putting that pan in a hot oven, about 400 degrees.

As the potatoes get close (about 40 minutes) throw the steaks on thye grill at higyh heat- you want to really sear the stevestojan out of them and limit your flips to one time ideally. Side one should take almost three times as long as side two- the trick it to cook them not any longer than medium rare, rare is even closer to perfect. Toss the arugula with the lemon and olive oil at 2 parts OO to 1 part lemon, plate the tossed arugula with some fresh ground pepper and after allowing the steak to cool down for 5 minutes cut it in 1/4 inch strips against the grain. Fan the steak over the arugula, surround the whole thing with the spuds on the plate edge and serve it. Get ready for your guests to inquire as to the status of your beatification.

273877[/snapback]

Pooj...this is absolutely the best dish. I might add a few of things I do with basically the same dish. First, rub the meat with a good olive oil at least four hours before cooking. Second...leave the meat out for that four hours so it is completely at room temperate. Once the plate is done, I like to squeeze a piece of lemon over the steak.

And AKC is right about it being rare; true Bistecca is usually about two inches thick (or more) and served rare.

Pooj...this is absolutely the best dish. I might add a few of things I do with basically the same dish. First, rub the meat with a good olive oil at least four hours before cooking. Second...leave the meat out for that four hours so it is completely at room temperate. Once the plate is done, I like to squeeze a piece of lemon over the steak.

And AKC is right about it being rare; true Bistecca is usually about two inches thick (or more) and served rare.

273903[/snapback]

I've been bringing meat to room temperature for a long time, one thing I notice about it is that there is a point where the meat, and especially red meat, reaches a degree of relaxation where it begins to give up some blood. There's a lot of variables that lead to that point but if you can get the meat on the grill just before that it's phenomenol how much more tender and juicy it ends up.

And on Bistecca- I can't believe I never had the awesome combo of cold greens topped with hot steak until about 15 years ago. It's a regular now around our place now- we should hook up midway in downtown LA for a "Tagliata Florentine" some time, I'll bring the wine (A huge tannic Cab ;-)

Pooj

I have all my Grandmothers receipes I'll check them and see if I can

find any of the foods she used to help prepare for the St. Joes Table

for St. Joes Church in Niagara Falls.

She made a wonderful soup that I just can't get right, her hands were

WAY smaller than mine are...

I remember the calimari and the popi, the 7 kinds of fish the HUGE

tables of fresh bread and the bowls of pasta and Italian Sausage

That was sooooo good, I miss it ;)

Oh yea and who could ever forget the bottles of homemade red wine

and the dandilion wine was pretty good too ;)

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you any

recipies I can find.

Ciao

John