David Carr: 2018 Day 1 QB Starters are Mayfield and Allen

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Time out.

Serious question, Greenebiltz: why are you here?  What value do these message boards add to your life?

Seriously, if the End-all is to just take what every pundit and former player in the media says at face value and us Biffs from Tonowanda should not question lest we earn your disrespect, why have a discussion forum at all?  Why not just a more extensive set of links to articles and video interviews and we can all just read and nod (or shake our heads)?

Hap, I may have been reading it wrong, and forgive me for putting words into another poster's key board, but I thought he may have meant Carr.

Again, I could be wrong.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Even the biggest Allen supporters think he needs to sit for the year, right? That's a bizarre opinion.

I don't think that's necessarily true, but I think a lot of this article is laughable, with the two main ones being:

1. Rosen is my least favorite of the 1st round QBs (excluding Rudolph who I don't see as a 1st rounder), but even I would admit that he's ready to start from Day 1. Carr seems to admit as much too but just throws him in the 2nd category for basically no good reason.

2. Tanner Lee. He says that every offensive coordinator/coach he's spoken to has Lee as one of their top 3 QBs in the class? He says that Lee's accuracy is extremely impressive but he doesn't have the physical tools that wow you? I legitimately think that he has Lee mistaken for someone else; his physical tools are the only thing that he has going for him and he makes Josh Allen look like Drew Brees in terms of accuracy. There's simply no way that every offensive coach he's spoken to believes that a guy projected to be a late Day 3 pick if that is actually one of the top 3 QBs in the class.

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

Allen's leadership skills are off the charts. At the combine, I noticed Allen was the leader of the quarterback pack. His personable manner was easy to see as others rallied around him. He reminded me of Jameis Winston, commanding attention with his persona and getting the rest of the QBs and receivers going.

If McBeane see the same thing and believe it: Congratulations to Josh Allen, QB Buffalo Bills

Image result for jameis winston eating w gif

Harrrrrdddd passss. :unsure:

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

You didn't watch the senior bowl then.  Allen looked like a lost puppy.  Mayfield came late and took charge immediately.  I didn't like Mayfield up until then but now I am a fan

I think you have those two backwards.  Mayfield played the first two series of the game, but then left the game to be with his ill mother.

Allen started slowly, but caught fire and threw 2 TDs in the 2nd half.

9 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

I think you have those two backwards.  Mayfield played the first two series of the game, but then left the game to be with his ill mother.

Allen started slowly, but caught fire and threw 2 TDs in the 2nd half.

Nope talking about the practices

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
I definitely don't agree with Carr here regarding Allen and IMO Rosen is the most ready to start.

ANALYSIS
Quarterbacks are defining this year's draft, but only a couple of them are prepared to get a start in Week 1 of the upcoming NFL season. David Carr looks at the top talent and pinpoints where the passers stand.

Quarterbacks are all the rage heading into the 2018 NFL Draft, with a number of teams in dire need of a franchise player at the position. The clock is running out for teams to decide who to take off the board, so I'm examining which quarterback prospects could be Day 1 starters.

Having gone through the process myself in 2002 -- as the eventual No. 1 overall pick for the then-expansion Houston Texans -- I know how much goes into being "pro ready" by August. These prospects will hit OTAs and minicamp in just over a month, and they must be prepared to lead and show teammates that they are 100 percent ready to play, understand the position and win.

Here's how I see some of the quarterback prospects stacking up heading into the 2018 NFL Draft:

This was actually very interesting when I read it.

Carr basically says of Allen " If he's in the right system, he can be plugged in come Week 1." and enthuses about his off-the-charts throwing ability.  But he says nothing about his understanding of the pro game - presumably because he (Carr) doesn't know.

Then he says of Rosen " From a skills standpoint, Rosen could start Day 1" and even " I've been in the film room separately with both Rosen and Eli Manning, the smartest football player I've been around. They have very similar mental abilities, and Rosen is already at the level Eli was halfway through his career. ".  The reason he puts Rosen as not ready to start Day 1 is that " I honestly don't know if he's interested in football. " 

Ferpetesake.  If Rosen isn't interested in football, he's not going to be more ready in Year 2 than in Year 1.  And what evidence does Carr have that Allen has the mental understanding of the game to be a Day 1 starter?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This was actually very interesting when I read it.

Carr basically says of Allen " If he's in the right system, he can be plugged in come Week 1." and enthuses about his off-the-charts throwing ability.  But he says nothing about his understanding of the pro game - presumably because he (Carr) doesn't know.

Then he says of Rosen " From a skills standpoint, Rosen could start Day 1" and even " I've been in the film room separately with both Rosen and Eli Manning, the smartest football player I've been around. They have very similar mental abilities, and Rosen is already at the level Eli was halfway through his career. ".  The reason he puts Rosen as not ready to start Day 1 is that " I honestly don't know if he's interested in football. " 

Ferpetesake.  If Rosen isn't interested in football, he's not going to be more ready in Year 2 than in Year 1.  And what evidence does Carr have that Allen has the mental understanding of the game to be a Day 1 starter?

Perhaps he took too many sacks to give reasoned arguments in a piece that long on so many prospects.