David Carr: 2018 Day 1 QB Starters are Mayfield and Allen

I definitely don't agree with Carr here regarding Allen and IMO Rosen is the most ready to start.

ANALYSIS
Quarterbacks are defining this year's draft, but only a couple of them are prepared to get a start in Week 1 of the upcoming NFL season. David Carr looks at the top talent and pinpoints where the passers stand.

Quarterbacks are all the rage heading into the 2018 NFL Draft, with a number of teams in dire need of a franchise player at the position. The clock is running out for teams to decide who to take off the board, so I'm examining which quarterback prospects could be Day 1 starters.

Having gone through the process myself in 2002 -- as the eventual No. 1 overall pick for the then-expansion Houston Texans -- I know how much goes into being "pro ready" by August. These prospects will hit OTAs and minicamp in just over a month, and they must be prepared to lead and show teammates that they are 100 percent ready to play, understand the position and win.

Here's how I see some of the quarterback prospects stacking up heading into the 2018 NFL Draft:

5 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

oh great, here come all the draft experts that know better, stat lines on their computer tell them more.

Does David Carr have access to something we don't? He watches those guys the exact same way as anyone does. His opinion is also equally as valid.

Allen's leadership skills are off the charts. At the combine, I noticed Allen was the leader of the quarterback pack. His personable manner was easy to see as others rallied around him. He reminded me of Jameis Winston, commanding attention with his persona and getting the rest of the QBs and receivers going.

If McBeane see the same thing and believe it: Congratulations to Josh Allen, QB Buffalo Bills

7 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Allen's leadership skills are off the charts. At the combine, I noticed Allen was the leader of the quarterback pack. His personable manner was easy to see as others rallied around him. He reminded me of Jameis Winston, commanding attention with his persona and getting the rest of the QBs and receivers going.

If McBeane see the same thing and believe it: Congratulations to Josh Allen, QB Buffalo Bills

You didn't watch the senior bowl then.  Allen looked like a lost puppy.  Mayfield came late and took charge immediately.  I didn't like Mayfield up until then but now I am a fan

• Like (+1) 1

Help me connect the dots.     

How does being a failed #1 draft choice from 16 years ago enhance your player evaluation skills?    Is Carr doing extensive film study on these guys or just flipping through the Orlads guide?

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

You didn't watch the senior bowl then.  Allen looked like a lost puppy.  Mayfield came late and took charge immediately.  I didn't like Mayfield up until then but now I am a fan

Not disagreeing, its more about if they believe what David Carr believes then we are in trouble

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Help me connect the dots.     

How does being a failed #1 draft choice from 16 years ago enhance your player evaluation skills?    Is Carr doing extensive film study on these guys or just flipping through the Orlads guide?

Ill say one thing: Even just getting a cup of coffee in the NFL is very hard to do. I will never automatically disqualify a players opinion just because he was a bust, they have been on the inside and know a lot more then most.

Edited by Like A Mofo

Unless Mayfield masters the art of taking snaps from under center and the corresponding footwork involved, I don't see it for him as that type of transition takes time.  And in spite of Allen's prodigious athletic gifts, he will need time as well. That said, it doesn't mean that the teams that get them won't immediately insert them as starters. But that's not the same as being ready. I don't care who you are, there's a certain curve involved. 

40 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

oh great, here come all the draft experts that know better, stat lines on their computer tell them more.

Time out.

Serious question, Greenebiltz: why are you here?  What value do these message boards add to your life?

Seriously, if the End-all is to just take what every pundit and former player in the media says at face value and us Biffs from Tonowanda should not question lest we earn your disrespect, why have a discussion forum at all?  Why not just a more extensive set of links to articles and video interviews and we can all just read and nod (or shake our heads)?