Should The Bills Let Richie Incognito Out Of His Contract

If he unretires it will be a problem. If the Bills can’t trade him and we get all the cap space by cutting him then they should just release him. Have to pick your fights. Richie has been on his best behavior the last 3 years and has played well for obvious reasons. Sooner or later he was going to revert back to being a dick!! And he has arrived!! This will not end well!! Doubt they can get anything for him. It’s like calling your drunken racist Uncle a Uber before he embarrasses the entire family. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me?Or you can use George W Bush’s variation of that old saying?either way you get the point?

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ok but they wanted him to take a pay cut, or he would get cut, right?

So if he gives the money back it would be like he said not and got cut wouldn't it?

I know.  I'm mad about his emotionaly unstable, foolish tantrum mode of trying to get his way.  The penalty is I now want a draft pick.

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

If it got me that signing bonus back I would release him sure.

Otherwise no way.

Unfortunately the only way to get it back is if he retires 

he created quite the pickle by signing a deal he didn’t intend to honor 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

He was loyal to the team! Bound together through blood sweat and tears. Loyalty at OBD is a one way street. 

Are you freaking kidding us right now? Do you not remember what Richie was doing before he joined the Bills?

Oh, that's right. NOTHING. He was unemployed for bullying a black player right out of a job.

But the Bills are the ones in the wrong here. The Bills are the ones who aren't loyal.

Sweetbejebus, the sense of entitlement in this world is embarrassing, and the understanding of self-accountability is all but gone.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Richie was great his last 3 seasons , even did his best to learn a complex blocking scheme last season. So they rewarded that effort with a pay cut . That was a real insult. 

Interesting that you kinda sorta forgot about the part where he agreed to the pay cut, you know, by signing the !@#$ing contract.

Stop pretending that the team just unilaterally cut his pay. It's dishonest, disingenuous, and makes you look like a fool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hell, I've been at work where my employer brought in big $$ contract and I found out I was being paid 2/3 as much as a guy with the same job title who didn't have my experience or responsibilities, but was supporting 5 kids and a non-working spouse.  That's not supposed to be a factor.

I was neither grateful nor happy, but I kept my mouth shut, did my job, looked around me for better opportunities, quietly refused to sign my new contract, and jumped ship to a better opportunity where I nearly tripled my salary.

Cry me a river for poor "Grown Ass Man" Incognito who agrees to a restructure and then has some sort of public hissy fit meltdown a couple months later.  Handle your biz, man.

Bravo. Self-accountability. Well done. More of you and less of Richie.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

Their are no plans to let him out of his contract. Silly question.  We need him

Are you serious?  Read what you just said.  The man has a past and now is unstable and you think a team is going to give us a great draft pick.  Common on man.  Use your head before you post please

LOL.  I was responding to Badlands who basically said we were prepared to let him walk, so if he gave the bonus back, no harm, no foul.  I wasn't offering a reasoned account, just explaining why I wouldn't go for that.  I didn't say a team would offer a great pick.  I said I wouldn't let him go unless there was draft compensation.  But, you know, thanks for the encouragement to be reasonable.

Edited by Dr. Who

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Richie was great his last 3 seasons , even did his best to learn a complex blocking scheme last season. So they rewarded that effort with a pay cut . That was a real insult. 

You'd make a good players union advocate but a lousy GM.

Does anyone know what the rules are if he did officially file papers to retire and then change his mind??  And were papers actually filed? 

Would seem an easy way out for any player not happy with his contract to retire, team moves on uses his money elsewhere then player comes back says, "I changed my mind"  but now team doesn't have the cap space so have no choice but to cut him.  Can Bills tell RI sorry you're on our retired list.  Seems very similar to last year with Bolden (sp??)

1 hour ago, hemma said:

If I did a good job at work + my employer was rich, then it told me I'd need to take a pay cut or be fired, I'd be so grateful, so happy.

There's a reasonable expectation that you will do an even better job next year based on last year's experience, and would likely deserve to be paid more, not less.  That's the real world, not professional sports.

I think it's a reasonable expectation that RI would have played at a lower level this coming season based on his age and with EW retiring.  Beane made him a fair offer and he agreed to it and put pen to paper.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

F##K NO!  However, Richie, feel free to negotiate a trade. 2nd rounder minimum.

...correct.....he effed this mess up from day one, accepting his agent's negotiation for pay cut.....why sign it?......right way to handle this and the wrong way which is what he chose....Bflo gave him the opportunity to resuurect his career which he did admirably and was paid well for it.....now we have Boldin II.......reminds me when Moulds burned every bridge outta town when he left through "his publicist"......

3 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

He is coming back to the bills.  He had a mental breakdown but all is well

Ritchie went on a childish rant. It would have been better had he behaved as a mature grown up person and a professional.

Having said that, there are a few things to take into consideration. Some speculate that one of those things is cocaine. My take is that arrogant pride and an over abundance of testosterone is the more likely suspect, part of the psychological make-up that makes him an outstanding guard. Often the personality is at least partly a reflection of the position played. And then there is the time-line. Ritchie agreed to a pay cut to help the team manage the cap. Then he sees the Bills back up the truck for Star, a guy who hasn't been very good for some years and has been to exactly zero pro bowls (Ritchie has been to 4). Maybe thats why he fired his agent. 

I hope this gets smoothed over. I love good guard play.