sleep

Foxx

how do you sleep?

do you sleep all through the night or are you up several times during the night? do you have to get up to go pee, several times? do you need some noise to fall asleep to?

me, i sleep terrible. i have to have the tv on to fall asleep to begin with. i have to zone out so my brain will shut down, otherwise i will just lie here thinking and thinking. i also can't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time without waking. side benefit of that is i have never needed an alarm clock.

how about you?

I sleep throughout the day, five ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

minutes every quarter-hour.

I fall asleep in the blink of an eye. Amazes my wife. But im a very light sleeper, so i wake up everytime i hear my son cough innthe next room over. Since having kids 7 years ago i think my body has adapted. Im very rarely tired during the day. I usually get about 6 hours of intermittent sleep. I doubt i could sleep for more than 7 straight hours unless i was awake for 24 hours or went on a serious bender the night before.

But as my avatar saying goes, I crave good rest. I havent had a legitimate nap in months.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

I sleep with a CPAP machine which is a bear to get used to. Many people say they feel great after a night with the CPAP, but they eventually admit they often rip it off after about 4 hours. My wife is up early every morning, and I wear mine all night....until she gets up. It’s not fair to wake her up every night snoring. I guess I doo feel a bit more rested. 

The most annoying part is when we travel because we’ll be in one hotel room and she doesn’t have another room she can get up and go to. She actually went downstairs to the desk in the middle of the night to get another room in a Ritz Carlton one night to get away from me in the pre-CPAP days. THAT is desperation for a few more hours sleep! 

Sleep is one of the most important, managed items for me.

In my career, I had a position where we had to take rest brakes to sleep.

Generally, four hours on, three hours off, and a comfortable sleeping environment was created, so you had to adjust to being able to fall asleep quickly and wake up quickly.

My body became so adjusted to that, that in retirement, it keeps that same schedule. 

I never sleep more than six hours. Usually four and then I'm awake. I get the required amount over time, but I have to manage it.

In addition, that career made me particularly sensitive to unusual noise, so anytime anything unusual sounds, even if it's something as simple as the heating system coming on, I wake up.

10 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Sleep is one of the most important, managed items for me.

In my career, I had a position where we had to take rest brakes to sleep.

Generally, four hours on, three hours off, and a comfortable sleeping environment was created, so you had to adjust to being able to fall asleep quickly and wake up quickly.

My body became so adjusted to that, that in retirement, it keeps that same schedule. 

I never sleep more than six hours. Usually four and then I'm awake. I get the required amount over time, but I have to manage it.

In addition, that career made me particularly sensitive to unusual noise, so anytime anything unusual sounds, even if it's something as simple as the heating system coming on, I wake up.

Sounds interesting.

What was the career?

51 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I sleep throughout the day, five ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

minutes every quarter-hour.

And yet you claim that you have thumbs. 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I sleep with a CPAP machine which is a bear to get used to. Many people say they feel great after a night with the CPAP, but they eventually admit they often rip it off after about 4 hours. My wife is up early every morning, and I wear mine all night....until she gets up. It’s not fair to wake her up every night snoring. I guess I doo feel a bit more rested. 

The most annoying part is when we travel because we’ll be in one hotel room and she doesn’t have another room she can get up and go to. She actually went downstairs to the desk in the middle of the night to get another room in a Ritz Carlton one night to get away from me in the pre-CPAP days. THAT is desperation for a few more hours sleep! 

I also use a CPAP. I’ve been snoring since high school. My father was a loud snorer, and so are my brothers. I always wonder if a CPAP could have prevented my father from having a heart attack at age 51. I have tried going without it when I travel on business, but I can’t sleep without it. It’s a hassle to bring on airplanes. Usually I have to take it out and put it through the X-ray machine by itself. It’s too important to entrust to checked baggage. 

Just now, Fadingpain said:

Sounds interesting.

What was the career?

Airline pilot, but 20 years flying long haul international trips that required rest breaks.

A typical US to China trip would have you fly for three hours, break for three hours, and do that routine twice.

Having done that for years, it has permanently altered my sleep schedule.

I go to be early, (or until the Nats game gets out of hand), get up about 1AM, do my work, and go back about 4AM until 6.

Unusual, but it works for me, and I have been unable to change it.

5 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I also use a CPAP. I’ve been snoring since high school. My father was a loud snorer, and so are my brothers. I always wonder if a CPAP could have prevented my father from having a heart attack at age 51. I have tried going without it when I travel on business, but I can’t sleep without it. It’s a hassle to bring on airplanes. Usually I have to take it out and put it through the X-ray machine by itself. It’s too important to entrust to checked baggage. 

Yeah, the sleep study was very frightening. The oxygen level dropped so far the heart has to suffer trying to keep the body going. I would stop breathing every minute, then sometimes gasp hard enough to sometimes wake myself up.  That’s one of the reasons I use it at home and not just when we travel

Melatonin helps me sometimes - it seems to be pretty benign but I try to use it sparingly anyway.  Could be placebo but I don't care, if it works it works.  I stay away from light as much as possible near bedtime including tv, phones, reading lights, etc. and also use a sleep mask (the kind with the convex cups so you can blink at night without touching the fabric) which seems to help avoid that little shot of adrenaline I sometimes get when I notice dawn light and know I have to be up soon..  Also turn the alarm clock to face away from your bed; there's no need to know what time it is if it's not time to get up yet!  Good luck

Have had chronic insomnia since high school; I used to put pillow up to window to cool it down to help me sleep in winter.

I have worked a lot weird shifts and used to travel a lot for work.  I found out that I am not an early morning person and the sleep between 3 am and 7 am is most important to me and if I work any schedule requiring me to be to work early morning shifts I get ill.  I was diagnosed with problem but basically it is just a bad sleep cycle issue. I also found out that I am melatonin deficient (did not surprise me but severity as doctor described was  more than  I thought) and if I do not take melatonin at night I do not sleep now.

My work schedule is odd. I work a 12 on Saturdays from 9 am to 9 pm and then work M-W starting at 5 PM so no sleep schedule works well. I end up going to sleep between 3 and 4 AM and then taking a cat nap before work. When I am asleep I am sometimes restless and I have been diagnosed with RLS so sometimes I hurt myself sleeping.

Some days I'd like to be in a coma for a week or two.

Dislike sleeping but realize it is necessary and try to limit it as much as possible. The idea of sleeping 20 yrs by the time I am 60 was disconcerting. Just so much to do, learn, etc. to lose that to sleep.

i sleep lightly but have no problems going to sleep. Prefer to go to bed late & get up early. 5-6 hours seems enough for me. Maybe get 45 minutes in a nap sometime during the day if I feel I need it.

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Sleep for 3-4 hours, up for two hours to read or watch TV and then sleep for 3 more hours

this was the norm until electricity forced an artificial daylight onto people 

Yeah... But it wasn't watching TV or reading.  It was barring the door and watching out for home invasion. ;)

"Mid-night"