Oklahoma Teachers Back To Work!

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Pensions were a luxury of the post-WW2 generation that cannot be reasonably afforded by the next generation

Oh come on. That's such a silly argument. Corporate greed is why the funding of private sector pensions have failed. Why is it that executive pay has increased so significantly, while workers true wages have stagnated?  

All employees should be able to unionize because they are the only things that honestly keeps management in check.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it was 1978 in Buffalo we got an extra three weeks Summer vacation because the teachers were striking. We came back to school and the school had been integrated with busing. Not sure if that was the issue but school was different from then on. 

16 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Oh come on. That's such a silly argument. Corporate greed is why the funding of private sector pensions have failed. Why is it that executive pay has increased so significantly, while workers true wages have stagnated?  

All employees should be able to unionize because they are the only things that honestly keeps management in check.

the argument goes both ways.

27 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Horseshit! Fixed pensions are a thing of the past and pensions for the public sector are going to be the downfall of many a community.

31 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Horseshit! Fixed pensions are a thing of the past and pensions for the public sector are going to be the downfall of many a community.

i 50% believe nkreed was joking there....

(shrug???)

8 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Why not?  I don't see any reason why any individual should not be permitted to organize with others (free association) and decide with withhold services unless or until they receive some form of compensation which compels them to choose to return to work.  What should be the case, however, is an employer should have the absolute right to fire them for doing so.

My objection to public sector unions is that unlike their private sector counterparts, there is no fiscal "hard stop" on their demands because taxes can always be raised.

Yes the employer should have the right to fire them and replace them. 

Businesses (publicly held  and private) have to be responsible to their customers, their suppliers, their working employees and their shareholders.  A group of employees should not have the power to damage the performance of the company with no downside to those who strike.  It is a ridiculous law that allows that.  Possible exceptions being violations by employers. 

Businesses don't exist for employees. Employees exist for the prosperity of the business which is shared with employees.

Edited by keepthefaith

24 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Yes the employer should have the right to fire them and replace them. 

Businesses (publicly held  and private) have to be responsible to their customers, their suppliers, their working employees and their shareholders.  A group of employees should not have the power to damage the performance of the company with no downside to those who strike.  It is a ridiculous law that allows that.  Possible exceptions being violations by employers. 

Businesses don't exist for employees. Employees exist for the prosperity of the business which is shared with employees.

Employers do not have the right to the labor of their employees.

individuals do not exist for the benefit of employers.  Individuals exist to follow their own desires to their own ends, and are not obligated to make themselves subject to the whims if their employer, or to their employers various contracts.  If an employer does not engage with his employees in a manner which they find acceptable to produce labor for him that is his problem, as he does not have a right to be profitable or reputable.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Employers do not have the right to the labor of their employees.

individuals do not exist for the benefit of employers.  Individuals exist to follow their own desires to their own ends, and are not obligated to make themselves subject to the whims if their employer, or to their employers various contracts.  If an employer does not engage with his employees in a manner which they find acceptable to produce labor for him that is his problem, as he does not have a right to be profitable or reputable.

You said individuals.  I said employees. Big difference.   Nowhere have I stated that employers have a right to labor from employees.  My point and my position is that employees should not have a right to refuse to work and have the right to keep their job but for the exception already mentioned.    

45 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

You said individuals.  I said employees. Big difference.   Nowhere have I stated that employers have a right to labor from employees.  My point and my position is that employees should not have a right to refuse to work and have the right to keep their job but for the exception already mentioned.    

Being an employee does not preclude you from first being an individual.

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

the argument goes both ways.

I agree the argument goes both ways.  That's when you know that the set up is in between the extremes.

With that said, I perceive that we are currently moving towards a business extreme, and that the market should correct itself without obvious interference from lawmakers (again, both ways).

• Like (+1) 1

On 2018-04-14 at 9:05 AM, nkreed said:

I agree the argument goes both ways.  That's when you know that the set up is in between the extremes.

With that said, I perceive that we are currently moving towards a business extreme, and that the market should correct itself without obvious interference from lawmakers (again, both ways).

Fair enough, thanks for responding without accusing anyone of being evil.

• Like (+1) 2

Kentucky governor claims teachers are getting kids molested by striking 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amberjamieson/kentucky-governor-bevin-teachers-protest-children-assaulted

Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin said that because public school teachers were protesting against proposed education cuts on Friday, resulting in over 30 school districts closing, children not in class were "sexually assaulted" and "physically harmed."

"I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them," the Republican governor told reporters on Friday afternoon.

"I guarantee you somewhere today a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone because a single parent didn’t have any money to take care of them," he added.

Bevin's comments came as the Kentucky Senate voted 20–18 Friday to override his veto of House Bill 366, a tax measure which increased funding for public schools. The legislators pushed to stop the funding cuts after weeks of protests by teachers, who have been frustrated by a pension reform bill for public employees and the planned budget cuts to education.