Oklahoma Teachers Back To Work!

Saying it had achieved all that it could with a walkout, Oklahoma’s largest teachers’ union on Thursday called for educators to return to the classroom and to shift their efforts to supporting candidates in the fall elections who favor increased education spending.

At a news conference, Alicia Priest, president of the Oklahoma Education Association, characterized the nine-day walkout as “a victory for teachers,” even as it fell short of its goals.

In a deep-red state that has pursued tax and service cuts for years, teachers won a raise of about $6,000, depending on experience, while members of schools’ support staff will see a raise of $1,250.

But the biggest pieces of legislation passed before the walkout, not during it, and Ms. Priest acknowledged that many of the protesters’ demands for more schools funding would not be met, because, she said, Republicans in the State Senate would not consider additional revenue sources.

“We got here by electing the wrong people to office,” Ms. Priest said. “We have the opportunity to make our voices heard at the ballot box.”

Continue reading the main story

Teacher activism continues to win out in these Trump states. I'd say red states, but WV is sort of old style Dem but voted for Trump. 

Economic growth starts with education. Can't have a good economy without increasing human capital 

10 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

No worker should be allowed to strike IMO.

Why not?  I don't see any reason why any individual should not be permitted to organize with others (free association) and decide with withhold services unless or until they receive some form of compensation which compels them to choose to return to work.  What should be the case, however, is an employer should have the absolute right to fire them for doing so.

My objection to public sector unions is that unlike their private sector counterparts, there is no fiscal "hard stop" on their demands because taxes can always be raised.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Why not?  I don't see any reason why any individual should not be permitted to organize with others (free association) and decide with withhold services unless or until they receive some form of compensation which compels them to choose to return to work.  What should be the case, however, is an employer should have the absolute right to fire them for doing so.

My objection to public sector unions is that unlike their private sector counterparts, there is no fiscal "hard stop" on their demands because taxes can always be raised.

Yes, the Dems gleefully hike taxes and the GOP promise they won't if they get elected and do so anyway

Just now, row_33 said:

Yes, the Dems gleefully hike taxes and the GOP promise they won't if they get elected and do so anyway

It's not even that.  It's that it's illegal to reform the pension systems of many states and towns, and as such the politicians have no choice but to continue to raise taxes to meet the demands of the broken system.  In the state that I live in, municipalities are already going bankrupt, but that doesn't change anything about the obligations, and it's carving out the entire tax base.

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's not even that.  It's that it's illegal to reform the pension systems of many states and towns, and as such the politicians have no choice but to continue to raise taxes to meet the demands of the broken system.  In the state that I live in, municipalities are already going bankrupt, but that doesn't change anything about the obligations, and it's carving out the entire tax base.

Pensions were a luxury of the post-WW2 generation that cannot be reasonably afforded by the next generation

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Why not?  I don't see any reason why any individual should not be permithere iso organize with others (free associ sation) and decide with withhold services unless or until they receive some form of compensation which compels them to choose to return to work.  What should be the case, however, is an employer should have the absolute right to fire them for doing so.

There also isn't the same degree of "skin in the game" for those negotiating on behalf of the tax payers as there is for those negotiating for management/ownership in the private sector.  Not only can the fear of "company" collapse not be present should too much be conceded to the union, but There can actually be incentive for those negotiating for the tax payer to favor the position of those they are across the table from.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

here we have unions with guaranteed bailouts if the stock market comes in lower than the pension fund predictions to sustain

We tried unions with guaranteed bailouts by taking money from bondholders and giving it to the union.  That seemed to fall by the wayside after a little while, though.