Question about Allen

Hey everybody!  Im not a huge follower of college football and will admit i only know of Josh Allen because of all the draft talk.  I know a big knock on him is that his completion percentage is low...i have also read that allen had very little talent around him..bad oline..and average recievers.  

For those of you who follow college football and have watched him play...is this true?  And if so how bad was the talent around him?

6 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Hey everybody!  Im not a huge follower of college football and will admit i only know of Josh Allen because of all the draft talk.  I know a big knock on him is that his completion percentage is low...i have also read that allen had very little talent around him..bad oline..and average recievers.  

For those of you who follow college football and have watched him play...is this true?  And if so how bad was the talent around him?

it was bad. He was running for his life and he played in a verticle passing offense. If the guy was to play in a west cost offense or dink and dunk at Wyoming he would have been at 65 percent completion or better. I’m on Record saying I like Mason Rudolph the best. But in the top 4 I like Josh Allen the best then Mayfield then Darnold. I don’t have Rosen in my top 6. so that’s where I stand. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

7 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

it was bad. He was running for his life and he played in a verticle passing offense. If the guy was to play in a west cost offense or dink and dunk at Wyoming he would have been at 65 percent completion or better. I’m on Record saying I like Mason Rudolph the best. But in the top 4 I like Josh Allen the best then Mayfield then Darnold. I don’t have Rosen in my top 6. so that’s where I stand. 

Thanks for the responses.  Yeah i by no means want this to turn into a who is the best QB debate or who is better then Allen.  I was just curious for those that watch college football how bad the level of talent was around him.  Thank you for the post.

Again im not a college football guy...what is it that you see in Rudolph that makes him your top guy?

Edited by Skins Malone

There's plays where some of his O-Linemen literally don't block anybody; they just get out of their stance and look around while guys run right by them completely untouched. 41% of Allen's passes came while facing pressure. The potential 1st rounders:

Allen: 41%

Lamar: 36%

Rosen: 29%

Darnold: 31%

Mayfield: 27%

Rudolph: 23%

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DCOrange said:

There's plays where some of his O-Linemen literally don't block anybody; they just get out of their stance and look around while guys run right by them completely untouched. 41% of Allen's passes came while facing pressure. The potential 1st rounders:

Allen: 41%

Lamar: 36%

Rosen: 29%

Darnold: 31%

Mayfield: 27%

Rudolph: 23%

Thats very good information.  And very interesting.  It does make you wonder what if.. 

6 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Thats very good information.  And very interesting.  It does make you wonder what if.. 

That’s the Reason he might be the 1st QB drafted. I believe if the Bills had the first pick in the draft that’s who they would pick. 

Josh Allen 

Very simple, the last time Wyoming was bowl eligible in back to back seasons prior to the 2 seasons Josh Allen quarterbacked was 88 89 season.  They are a bottom feeder program in the Mountain West Conference and ranked in 120's in NCAA rank prior to the 2016 season.  His Sophomore season the majority of the offense were Seniors and he put up good numbers.  Wyoming does not recruit well so they rely on players getting on the field and improving before they would at other schools.  This past year he played with mainly Sophomores and it has showed.  However, the offense he played in did not help him as a passer in regards to his passing efficiency.  He played in an offense out of the mid 90s to early 2000's big ten.  Not much creativity and alot of the big plays were on Allen to make with his arm and ability.  He has the most impressive tape by having the most NFL caliber throws.  There is no doubt if he can translate to an NFL offense because he has made the prerequisite passes already.  Imo a lot of his accuracy issues is when he tries too much.  With his arm strength he would attempt throws from horrible platforms.  He could be Kyle Boller but the game has changed so much since then.  If he continues to utilize a personal Qb coach and improves his mechanics to a point where its automatic sky is the limit.  High end his ceiling is Brett Farve.  I see him very similar in terms of football IQ and natural ability.  He will throw interceptions because of his arm will get him into trouble at times.  Low end jeff george.  If he does not master the mechanics of throwing his accuracy concern will pop up through his career.  Imo if he doesn't develop a substance abuse problem he will have a long career do to his immense ability and athleticism,  but a what if story.  With the level of Qbs in the NFL at worst he will be on a roster for as long as he wants to play similar to Jeff George.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Very simple, the last time Wyoming was bowl eligible in back to back seasons prior to the 2 seasons Josh Allen quarterbacked was 88 89 season.  They are a bottom feeder program in the Mountain West Conference and ranked in 120's in NCAA rank prior to the 2016 season.  His Sophomore season the majority of the offense were Seniors and he put up good numbers.  Wyoming does not recruit well so they rely on players getting on the field and improving before they would at other schools.  This past year he played with mainly Sophomores and it has showed.  However, the offense he played in did not help him as a passer in regards to his passing efficiency.  He played in an offense out of the mid 90s to early 2000's big ten.  Not much creativity and alot of the big plays were on Allen to make with his arm and ability.  He has the most impressive tape by having the most NFL caliber throws.  There is no doubt if he can translate to an NFL offense because he has made the prerequisite passes already.  Imo a lot of his accuracy issues is when he tries too much.  With his arm strength he would attempt throws from horrible platforms.  He could be Kyle Boller but the game has changed so much since then.  If he continues to utilize a personal Qb coach and improves his mechanics to a point where its automatic sky is the limit.  High end his ceiling is Brett Farve.  I see him very similar in terms of football IQ and natural ability.  He will throw interceptions because of his arm will get him into trouble at times.  Low end jeff george.  If he does not master the mechanics of throwing his accuracy concern will pop up through his career.  Imo if he doesn't develop a substance abuse problem he will have a long career do to his immense ability and athleticism,  but a what if story.  With the level of Qbs in the NFL at worst he will be on a roster for as long as he wants to play similar to Jeff George.  

I've also recently decided that Josh Allen is the best QB in the class. It's a ballsy move to trade up for him, but after watching his interviews, only the Bills coaching staff could screw him up. If he lands in a good coaching situation, he will become a superstar IMO. An athletic Ben Roethlisberger. A must watch if he's on MNF. 

I see Darnold in the Bradford, Stafford, Cutler category. Rosen really turns me off for some reason. Lamar Jackson I see as a stronger, tougher, slower Tyrod Taylor. Baker Mayfield turns me off, and Rudolph I like but I don't think he'll be better than say, AJ McCarron. A sleeper I think is Kyle Lauletta from Richmond. If I was GM and I couldn't get Allen, I would wait for the top of the 3rd to draft Lauletta, and stock up on all other needs. He could be a star QB IMO. 

46 minutes ago, musichunch said:

I've also recently decided that Josh Allen is the best QB in the class. It's a ballsy move to trade up for him, but after watching his interviews, only the Bills coaching staff could screw him up. If he lands in a good coaching situation, he will become a superstar IMO. An athletic Ben Roethlisberger. A must watch if he's on MNF. 

I see Darnold in the Bradford, Stafford, Cutler category. Rosen really turns me off for some reason. Lamar Jackson I see as a stronger, tougher, slower Tyrod Taylor. Baker Mayfield turns me off, and Rudolph I like but I don't think he'll be better than say, AJ McCarron. A sleeper I think is Kyle Lauletta from Richmond. If I was GM and I couldn't get Allen, I would wait for the top of the 3rd to draft Lauletta, and stock up on all other needs. He could be a star QB IMO. 

Could he bust?  Sure as could Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or Jackson.  Its pretty obvious to me why he is in consideration for 1.  His strengths are higher than any other prospects.  His weakness are there.  Are those coach able areas where they could be limited.  I do.  Can Mayfield succeed in a dirty pocket and tight window throws?  Can Rosen absorb NFL punishment with his injury history?  Can Darnold improve his ball security?  Can Jackson improve his lower body mechanics and pocket awareness.  They all have some work to do.  Who have the most room to grow?  Who could become Great?  Rare year.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Similar completion percentage to Matthew Stafford in college. I like the kid

StoooOOOOoopppp  :doh:

Stafford played in the SEC at Georgia and went to major bowl games and won and most importantly, Stafford drastically improved every single year he was in college.

In Stafford's last year he had a 61.4% completion %, threw for almost 3500 yards at 9 YPA.

Comparing Allen to Stafford is laughable.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

StoooOOOOoopppp  :doh:

Stafford played in the SEC at Georgia and went to major bowl games and won and most importantly, Stafford drastically improved every single year he was in college.

In Stafford's last year he had a 61.4% completion %, threw for almost 3500 yards at 9 YPA.

Comparing Allen to Stafford is laughable.

It's not laughable. You can't control the conference you play in or the athletes you have around you. Stafford had AJ Green in that final year where he finally got over 60%. Both guys have elite arm talent. Allen was injured for a good portion of this season but had 8+ YPA with "laughable" receiving options. They are very comparable but I guess because Stafford blewout Hawaii in his bowl game it's not comparable to Allen doing the same to Central Michigan?

Both are amazing athletes with amazing upside. Took Stafford a few years in the league to reach his potential. Hopefully Allen gets there as well