Schofield: Best Landing Spots for Day 2 and Day 3 QBs

Schofield: Best NFL landing spots for draft's "other" QB prospects | Pro Football Weekly

With the draft nearly here, it’s time to continue that process, as we did with the “Top Five” last week. In this piece, we’ll look at just some of the Day 2 and Day 3 quarterbacks, as well as some even deeper sleepers, and try to identify some ideal fits for them.

Quarterback: Mason Rudolph
Team: Jacksonville Jaguars
Offensive Scheme: Hybrid Air Coryell/Vertical

The Jacksonville Jaguars were a quarter or so away from a berth in Super Bowl LII, but they could not close out a lead on the road against the New England Patriots. With a young, attacking defense and an offense built around running back Leonard Fournette, the Jaguars are built to make another run at a postseason berth. But quarterback remains a question mark for the organization. Blake Bortles showed flashes in 2017 of the talent that made him the third overall pick in the 2014 draft, and the team did sign him to a three-year extension this offseason. That does not preclude the organization from drafting a quarterback to potentially have in place should the team decide to move on from Bortles, and it might find the perfect fit in Mason Rudolph.

Current offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett has his philosophical roots in the downfield passing approach of an Air Coryell system. A vertical passing offense would be a very strong fit schematically for Rudolph, who stands out in the downfield passing game with his ability to make strong touch throws over the top of defenses:

9 minutes ago, PIP said:

Will this QB class go down as one of the best or one of the worst? Time will tell. I hope we don't look back one day and say why didn't we take that guy.

The worst of the best

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Schofield: Best NFL landing spots for draft's "other" QB prospects | Pro Football Weekly

With the draft nearly here, it’s time to continue that process, as we did with the “Top Five” last week. In this piece, we’ll look at just some of the Day 2 and Day 3 quarterbacks, as well as some even deeper sleepers, and try to identify some ideal fits for them.

The Jacksonville Jaguars were a quarter or so away from a berth in Super Bowl LII, but they could not close out a lead on the road against the New England Patriots. With a young, attacking defense and an offense built around running back Leonard Fournette, the Jaguars are built to make another run at a postseason berth. But quarterback remains a question mark for the organization. Blake Bortles showed flashes in 2017 of the talent that made him the third overall pick in the 2014 draft, and the team did sign him to a three-year extension this offseason. That does not preclude the organization from drafting a quarterback to potentially have in place should the team decide to move on from Bortles, and it might find the perfect fit in Mason Rudolph.

Current offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett has his philosophical roots in the downfield passing approach of an Air Coryell system. A vertical passing offense would be a very strong fit schematically for Rudolph, who stands out in the downfield passing game with his ability to make strong touch throws over the top of defenses:

rudolph on that team...they'd be scoring 40 + a game and be unstoppable.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If we don't trade up i sincerely believe that's our guy.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It shouldn't be.

I honestly like him at 12.  He shows pois, has a quick release and although he doesn't have the arm strength of the other guys he throws a pretty deepball.  He really does remind me of Brady.

I honestly don't think we have to trade up to get a QB this year, but I'm no expert.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I honestly like him at 12.  He shows pois, has a quick release and although he doesn't have the arm strength of the other guys he throws a pretty deepball.  He really does remind me of Brady.

I honestly don't think we have to trade up to get a QB this year, but I'm no expert.

I would be appalled if they draft him at 12 or 22.