WTF is happening with our own free agents? - Brown, Gaines, Matthews

I am reading all these bargain basement contracts signed by our free agents - Matthews (170K guaranteed on a 1 yr 1 mill deal), Preston Brown (1 yr 4 mill deal), EJ 9 mill Gaines (1 yr 4 mill deal). Why not come back and play for Da Bills at those prices? Why are these guys giving discounts to the other teams (Hometown, Patriots, 0-16 Browns etc.) and not to the Bills?

We woulda had great depth at those prices. Or did McBeane consciously decide to move away from these players? I can understand moving away from Preston Brown a little bit (but 4 mill is pretty sweet even with Brown's limitations), but SMH @ Gaines and Matthews.

Copy and paste response on Matthews (and every other WR)

they would have had to seriously overpay him and any WR to come back to this uncertain QB situation in a prove it year. Put yourself in his shoes. He’s playing for next year’s contract and trying to resuscitate  his market that was beyond dead.

they moved away from the other 2.

• Like (+1) 3

Yeah, honestly, I think Beane and McD see those guys as replacement level players. I think all of those guys will be Drafted in a younger, more schematically designed fit for the Bills. Donta Jackson is a great example as a CB you want to take over the Nickel slot CB...Anthony Miller is a good 2nd / 3rd round WR to be opposite Benjamin since Zay is the slot guy and O'Daniel is a good LBer for the Bills in the mid-rounds as well. That's not to say that's who the Bills Draft, although IMHO that would be great, but just as examples. I think the Bills know they need their Rooks to play this year and paying these guys pretty much guarantees the Rookies don't get the experience, see Milano, Matt from 2017. Milano worked his way on but it took Humber's injury to give him the real shot and he played well to keep it.

I think Gaines realized he could be playing the slot or a nickle back role here, opposed to Cleveland he could play a much bigger role and better position himself to hit the market again.

Preston is from Cincy, I can't imagine we offered him all that much more, he probably would rather just go home for semi equal money.

Matthews was garbage and is redundant between Benjamin and Zay, he's also positioned himself with NE to up his market value.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Gaines is one I don't understand.  We could use him, and 4 million is a bargain

The Bills indicated Vontae was playing outside. Gaines would have had to play the slot. In Cleveland, he’s their #1 corner right now. On a one-year deal, if he can stay healthy, he’s much more in a position to increase his market, which was dead, for next year playing on the outside than he is as the 3rd corner here. Teams will want film of him playing a whole season at a high level in a different scheme. He’s smart to sign there and has nothing to do with the Bills wanting or not wanting to pay 4m

26 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I am reading all these bargain basement contracts signed by our free agents - Matthews (170K guaranteed on a 1 yr 1 mill deal), Preston Brown (1 yr 4 mill deal), EJ 9 mill Gaines (1 yr 4 mill deal). Why not come back and play for Da Bills at those prices? Why are these guys giving discounts to the other teams (Hometown, Patriots, 0-16 Browns etc.) and not to the Bills?

We woulda had great depth at those prices. Or did McBeane consciously decide to move away from these players? I can understand moving away from Preston Brown a little bit (but 4 mill is pretty sweet even with Brown's limitations), but SMH @ Gaines and Matthews.

Comp picks!

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We spent our money in the first week and they waited for bigger deals.  I think if they knew the contract they'd end up with, some of them may have stayed

I actually think the Bills were well aware of what their markets would be. 

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Gaines is one I don't understand.  We could use him, and 4 million is a bargain

Injury history plus I think the plan is likely to use Vonte Davis--who is an upgrade if healthy, as well as draft a CB in Rd. 1 or 2 to replace Davis next year.  Have a shutdown corner pair.